Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

parrots

Options
  • 24-09-2009 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

i have a blue ringneck parrot, shes a sweety but shes not hand tame, she spends her day in the sitting room chillin and messin about on the light fixture and has a lovely large home i built her for night time, shes free all day, she will get up on a stick but i cant touch her, i tried treats but she only likes halves of oranges, please help, i really want to be able to touch her, i have heard if i borrow someones hand tamed bird for 4 weeks she will et jealous and come to me but no one has a parrot i can borrow,
    any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

How long have you had her?

I'd be careful bringing another bird in usually it's a good idea to quarantine any new birds even if you believe them to be health so it's prob. not the most practical solution. You don't need a real bird perhaps try a realistic lookin teddy bird.

Although what it takes is time, some birds aren't fond of being handled and prefer to have a little distance between them. It's good though that she gets up on the stick for you that's a good start. Holding the perch while she's on it and just talk gently to her, sometimes birds take a long time to come around.

If she feels comfortable playing in the same room as you that's good too she might never be a cuddle monster but you never know.

Our tiel will 'step up' and walk on us etc. but his mood changed quickly and if he's peed off he'll loose his tempter than two seconds later he'll be all lovey dovey. Had him a good few years now he's not into big cuddles.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭pinkyfluff

she is 3 yrs old and before me lived in an outdoor cage with other parrots, i have had her a few months now, i talk to her alot and she calls out when we leave the room, i think she might also be in love with my hawk, its funny when i bring him inside,thanks for replying to my post, i guess patients is what i need, i had a teil before and she was the most loving thing ever, she loved to be sitting on me all the time, i guess i will just wait for my new bird to come to me,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

I think time is the key here. You havnt had her too long in the grand scheme of things and you are defo making progress with her judging by what you said. The fact that she was an avery bird with other parrots means that she used to have a completely different way of life and it will just take her time to adapt to her new life indoors. My advice is to keep doing what you are doing and be patient. You might find that you could be sat down on the couch watching TV or something one day and she'll just fly over and land on you. Thats what happened with my budgie anyway. Its all about trust and it has to come from her. As the old saying goes, you can take a horse to water but cant make it drink.
    Its gas that she has the hots for your hawk! what kind of hawk is it?? are you not weary of him attacking her??

good luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭pinkyfluff

my hawk is a harris hawk, hes really cool, such a sweety, and i think he likes the attention he gets from my parrot, its quite funny, they copy each other, well harris hawks are a pack animal so i guess he just thinks of her as part of the family

Advertisement