Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone on Vodafone home broadband?

Options
  • 24-09-2009 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭

Anyone out there in Donegal on Vodafone home broadband, I'm fed up with only getting 1-2 meg with eircon when i'm paying for 7.6.
    I was talking to a guy in Dublin today who switched ladt month and hasnt went under 6 meg.
    Just wondering if we would get as good up here.
    Regards
    Theblueirish

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

Anyone out there in Donegal on Vodafone home broadband, I'm fed up with only getting 1-2 meg with eircon when i'm paying for 7.6.
    I was talking to a guy in Dublin today who switched ladt month and hasnt went under 6 meg.
    Just wondering if we would get as good up here.
    Regards
    Theblueirish
    I seriously doubt it - Vodafone is simply reselling the lines from Eircom, so it would likely be the very same - a rose by any other name. Have a look at the Broadband forum here on Boards for more information. If you are only getting 1-2 mgs, why not downgrade to that package? Your line may not be capable of more, so flag it up with Eircom and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

A lot will depend on your location - distance from the exchange for example. Im currently with BTIreland and officially on a 7.6mb download speed but in reality I get around 5.6 - 5.8

Strange thing is that I just phoned Vodafone this morning to change over to them. More or less the same package as BT but a good bit cheaper. In any event all BT customers will be moved to Vodafone by next March as they have taken over BT but there is an option for customers to migrate earlier.

As stated above other providers only rent the lines from Eircom and its unlikely that you would get a higher speed but then again I have heard of people who claimed they have. You can contact BT for example and they will get you to run a series of tests yourself and email them the results and based on that they can tell you what speed you would get.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

There are times when i can get over 6.5mb, usually sunday mornings.

My friend in Dublin was paying for 7.6 with eircon and was only getting 1-3meg, since changing to vodafone he is getting 5+ constantly.

I understand what you were saying about the lines etc, but i was thinking maybe vodafone dont over subscribe their share of bandwith?

Confused

Theblueirish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

There are times when i can get over 6.5mb, usually sunday mornings.

My friend in Dublin was paying for 7.6 with eircon and was only getting 1-3meg, since changing to vodafone he is getting 5+ constantly.

I understand what you were saying about the lines etc, but i was thinking maybe vodafone dont over subscribe their share of bandwith?

Confused

Theblueirish

I could be wrong, but from what I understand there is no 'share' - it's just all together on the same lines. If anyone knows differently, I'd be very interested.
    I'm with UTV and while I had a lot of problems last year, after complaining like a squeaky wheel here on Boards and by email 'something' was done/happened and it's better. Not perfect, but better. However, if I thought I could get an improvement and a faster speed than the 2Mb package I have, I'd be willing to change.
    Unfortunately, UTV have a clause where you have to buy yourself out of their broadband contract, even after the normal 12 months time is up - a bit crafty, but it means they will always get €30 out of those who leave :(

bumping this as i never got round to it.

anyone change in the meantime?

€70 a month and i'm getting less than 1Mb tonight

will have to move to someone better

• Advertisement

How did you end up paying €70 a month?

i'm still on Eircon,
    paying for top package as i run a server from home,
    can't put up with this crap anymore

Ah right. Thought you had moved to Vodafone.

Yeah, I moved to them at the end of September and had a few problems at the beginning but overall its a fairly good service and its also a good bit cheaper than what I was paying BTIreland for. Their bundles are listed here but I have no idea what you would be paying extra for the server.

Im on the €52 a month package with 7mb download speed. 90% of the time I would be getting speeds around 6 - 6.2mb but then again Im only a little over half a mile from the exchange.

i'm in Lifford, no idea where the exchange is.

I don't use the phone at all either to make or receive calls.

They dont need to know about my server, it doesn't take up alot of bandwith but needs to be as fast as possible

The exchange is located in the back of Daly's shop on upper main street so the closer to it you are the better speeds you should have.

• Advertisement

i'm in drumbouy so should be good enough.

Do you find your speeds are better with vodafone?

Overall the speeds are probably a little better alright. Just ran a test there now on the desktop Im using but theres also a laptop currently sharing the connection and this is what I got

746597096.png

Thats a ridiculous speed especially as you are supposed to get up to 7.6mb.

Time to move providing you're not tied to a contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭lamai

I am also interested in Vodaphone, Does anyboby know what the service is like

in Letterkenny? or where the Exchange is in Letterkenny?

lamai wrote: »
    I am also interested in Vodaphone, Does anyboby know what the service is like

in Letterkenny? or where the Exchange is in Letterkenny?
    Isnt the exchange out near where the old unifi plant used to be just where you turn in to go to Johnstons, Pacificare etc.

I could be wrong but I think thats where it is.

If you're in Letterkenny you would have a wider choice of providers

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭md23040

2.57 Download Mb/s

0.31 Upload Mb/s

Use Vodafone fixed bundle. Unlimited broadband, unlimited calls UK & Ireland 24/7 without time limits and 200 minutes free per month to 087 numbers.

The sales support team is excellent (same unit as BT Ireland & based in Derry). Never had any loss of speed and broadband remains always on.

Migrated early from BT Ireland. 10/10

Edit addon ~ €48 pcm (incl line rental)

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭lamai

md23040 wrote: »
    2.57 Download Mb/s

0.31 Upload Mb/s

Use Vodafone fixed bundle. Unlimited broadband, unlimited calls UK & Ireland 24/7 without time limits and 200 minutes free per month to 087 numbers.

The sales support team is excellent (same unit as BT Ireland & based in Derry). Never had any loss of speed and broadband remains always on.

Migrated early from BT Ireland. 10/10

Edit addon ~ €48 pcm (incl line rental)

Where are you in Donegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

lamai wrote: »
    Where are you in Donegal?

I am in moville co donegal.
    I moved recently to a new place in the town. Phoned eircom got my line put into the house.

Check online once I got my number, eircom could only offer a 1Mb line - I rang them asking was this the best the could do? They said yes.

Vodafone said they could do a 3Mb line 10 Gig more download and for 7 euro cheaper.

Think eircom bundle is like 52 euro a month or something.
    Vodafone does it for 45 euro.

Got it all insalled, getting about 2.70Mb when I have run speed checks.

Advertisement