Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you hate about being a veggie/vegan

Options
  • 24-09-2009 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭

At bbqs you ask for veggie food especially for you.

You don't touch anyone elses food but when your veg spring rolls or whatever comes out everyone helps themselves!

And of course...."Actually I'm a vegetarian"....."OMG, what do you eat then?"

I was once walking out of Govindas and heard a man remark to is girlfriend.." Thats a vegetarian resturaunt, they don't serve real food"!:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Getting asked "Where do you get your protein?" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Absurdum wrote: »
    Getting asked "Where do you get your protein?" :rolleyes:
    I got that one only yesterday in college lol:pac:

I detest being asked if i still eat chicken/fish/rashers etc...definate head melter that is:mad:

I guess the poor ignorant or clueless people just dont care:P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

currently weaning myself to veganism. i think im going to hate the deliciousness of icecream and dairy chocolate being so close, yet so far away.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I have no problems, quite enjoy it actually. Only thing I miss is eh...meat. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Northsider09

People telling you to "eat up" and trying to give you big steaks etc :mad:

One friend describing your eating habits to another as "just very picky" :mad::mad:

I don't want to eat meat and I can't eat dairy - get over it:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Nothing really.

I think the issues here aren't about hating being veggie, but more so how people tread you knowing that. Much like the inevitable questions much discussed around here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭monellia

Having to deal with militant meat eaters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Dining out with meaters in restaurants of their choice, with your onl!y choice being stir fry or spring rolls - anathema! and then having to go equals on the bill when they've stuffed themselves with 10 kgs of steak (don't do that anymore - pay your own thanks to the recession!)

Living in the country where it's impossible to get certain foods (tempeh etc.)

The ones who say they're vegetarian, but they eat fish??

People who try to bond with others by denigrating tofu. Despite having never ever tried it!!!!

People who eat utter utter ****e and then try to bond with others by slagging the wisdom of your diet choices.

People who think that your diet choice is an invitation for moral debate.

Gelatin, non free range eggs etc polluting nice things.

Weddings.

For me being a bit of a hypocrite. With my affection for Guiness and leather shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

My mom thinks i will die if i dont take my vitamin B. I dont however....i sneak it in my pocket after ive "swallowed" it....it makes my pee smell!

If you mention being veggie to a doctor..."oh we'd better do some blood tests then..."

my friend trying to convince me to eat jellies...by saying "Why cant you just eat jellies and not eat meat?" BECAUSE GELATIN PRACTICALLY IS MEAT, AHHH

I wish there were more resources for veggies...and vegans, seen as i wish to become one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

• Registered Users Posts: 44 F4Fake

Reading the ingredients on the label of everything before you buy it can be a bit annoying. It always gives me flashbacks of Leaving Cert chemistry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

There's also the ubiquitous vegetable soup made with real chicken stock that you get in every hotel in the country.

The Guinness one is a difficulty I admit, but I'm trying to avoid it.

And of course not being able to eat parmesan:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Getwellsoon

I want to punch people who ask me where I get my calcium!

I want to punch people who ask me where I get my calcium!
    Ugh, it always angers me to be reminded of that propaganda created by the dairy industry... leafy greens are a far better source of calcium than MILK

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Beebox

Uber-paleness.
    I just don't seem to have a healthy glow.

My friend blamed by flu on being a vegetarian. I think meat eaters get the flu too!
    I said I dont think that's anything to do with it and she replied with "Well have you been taking iron tablets?"
    And she's the one who did home ec. SIGH.
    I've actually had less colds and flus since turning vegetarian...unfortunately 'less' means i still get lots.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

dont think flu matters. I have had 1-2 max in my life.

Censorsh!t wrote: »
    My friend blamed by flu on being a vegetarian. I think meat eaters get the flu too!
    I said I dont think that's anything to do with it and she replied with "Well have you been taking iron tablets?"
    I've actually had less colds and flus since turning vegetarian...unfortunately 'less' means i still get lots.
    Hate this! Whenever I have a health complaint my mam always assumes I must be deficient in something I could have gotten by eating meat or dairy.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭smegmar

lemon cheesecake

/thread

• Advertisement

smegmar wrote: »
    lemon cheesecake

/thread

Should be able to get that veggie?

Beebox wrote: »
    Uber-paleness.
    I just don't seem to have a healthy glow.

Do you genuinely think that is the veg*ism though?
    Maybe your just Irish coloured?
    Censorsh!t wrote: »

I hear ya. I've been ridiculiously unlucky healthwise this year. (Yes Tar unlucky!)

she has been so unlucky, really, just unlucky.

please put the gun down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

And of course not being able to eat parmesan:(

Yup.

And PETArds. And people assuming that just because you're veggie you're one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Getwellsoon

monellia wrote: »
    Ugh, it always angers me to be reminded of that propaganda created by the dairy industry... leafy greens are a far better source of calcium than MILK

Would you believe that I gave up dairy a long, long time before I gave up meat? I really can't stand the stuff, it makes me feel so sick now (it did even a little bit when I ate it regularly) and it upsets me that people think I'm weird for not consuming it... THEY are the weird ones, cos humans are the only race that drink milk from another species and drink milk past being an infant!! I bet if we asked people "why aren't you sucking your mother's t*ts then?" they would be horrified!! Whereas human milk would actually make more sense to drink!!

Another thing I hate is how restaurants seem to think that all veggie options should be laden with cheese or egg. It's unnecessary!!

Do you genuinely think that is the veg*ism though?
    Maybe your just Irish coloured?

No, I'm definitely paler than I used to be. People have started commenting on it. My friend wants to get a big steak in me by the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

Beebox wrote: »
    No, I'm definitely paler than I used to be. People have started commenting on it. My friend wants to get a big steak in me by the end of the year.

Eat lots of carrots. The beta carotene in them helps with the production of melanin (wot makes your skin darker).

And if you eat tonnes and tonnes, your skin turns orange and your periods stop (if you're a girl) but not in a harmful way.

Fact.

smegmar wrote: »
    lemon cheesecake

/thread

Are you sure there's not a veg one in marks and sparks?

Or if you live near a Milano's restaurant, I'm pretty sure the cheesecake is suitable...but couldnt be positive!

Eat lots of carrots. The beta carotene in them helps with the production of melanin (wot makes your skin darker).

Will try that so. They're a veg I don't eat a lot, remind me of stews and stuff.
    And if you eat tonnes and tonnes, your skin turns orange and your periods stop (if you're a girl) but not in a harmful way.

How can they stop in a safe way?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

lack of choice in restaurants i find is the killer.

Advertisement