Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HAYLAGE ?

Options
  • 24-09-2009 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭

I've been told by my local farmer that the 4 acre field I have the girls on (a tbx yearling filly and a 4 yr old tb mare)is no longer available.I have an acre out the back which they have been on before.My question is, how much haylage would I need per day,(hay is hard to come by at the moment)and how much does it cost.even on the grass I top them up with some coolmix every day so they would still be getting that till I get another field.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

How much haylage needed depends on the size of the horses, how much grass they have, how much hard food they're eating, the weather, the condition and age of horses, etc.

I remember the pony club manual had a chapter on suitable quantities of feed for different types of horses/ponies. I'm sure there are other books on the subject, but I'm afraid I don't know the titles/authors.

You could also try talking to a nutritionist (I know Red Mills have one) and ask their advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

thanks Convert. I'll look them up and give them a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

As convert said its hard to estimate based on horse sizes and how long they are in or out, etc. But as an average estimate, just to give you an idea....
    2 TB mares + 1 foal (6 months + by winter), out during the day on grass & in at night. Last year mares were also on feed because both were in foal. So 1 round bale of haylage between the 3 lasted about a month. This year it will be slightly less with an extra foal to add to that.
    We had our horses in another yard until we got our own yard a few years back. We always gave them beet pulp, sometimes with a bit of course mix mixed through (usually if they were hunting). Beet pulp is a bit like porridge for horses, good for filling them up. Your nutritionist would be best to speak to about the quantities, but 1 acre of grass as you know won't be a lot to share with the 2 you have, especially with the bad growth we've had this year. If you can try and divide it up for them, to try and give them a week at a time on each (maybe a bit longer with just having two).

We have a 3 acre field 1 side divide in 3 sections, with the 4 (2 mares, 2 foals) each section lasts about a week. We also have another 4 acre field but with all the rain they had been on that for a few weeks waiting for the other side to grow again, and it was very bare last week when they were took off it, after a week it still looks fairly bare, but we are lucky to have the other bit. Lots of people this year have struggled with having enough grass, so be mindful of that, you might need to keep them in more if there isn't enough.

Advertisement