Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

newbie to djing

• 24-09-2009 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

hi everyone,
    i want to start out mixing at home. Looking at cdj-400 on youtube. looks brilliant. But it looks to me that you can only insert one cd at a time, do effect on that song/cd. So ultimately you would need another one to be able to mix 2 different song together?? You cant insert cd with song,store song, take out cd,and insert another and mix the 2 songs etc into one cdj-400..Would i be right??
    obviously then i would need 2 cdj-400's and a mixer in between..
    any good irish website where to but equipment. it seems a pricey pastime to set yourself up good..

Thanks again..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭Fintomiginto

Heres a link for everything you need to know in starting up.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055403529

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

crxsi wrote: »
    hi everyone,
    i want to start out mixing at home. Looking at cdj-400 on youtube. looks brilliant. But it looks to me that you can only insert one cd at a time, do effect on that song/cd. So ultimately you would need another one to be able to mix 2 different song together?? You cant insert cd with song,store song, take out cd,and insert another and mix the 2 songs etc into one cdj-400..Would i be right??
    obviously then i would need 2 cdj-400's and a mixer in between..
    any good irish website where to but equipment. it seems a pricey pastime to set yourself up good..

Thanks again..

With all due respect mate, you've missed the whole DJ set up thing.

1) A basic set up needs two players (such a vinyl player, CD player, Mp3 player eyc) and a mixer which is used to cross fade the tracks. You can buy CD players where you can mix two tracks on the same CD. However, its rare, expensive and purely to crossfade.

Ireland has few, if any, good shops. Try Thomann.de or Decks.co.uk

2) Its a very pricey passtime. Be prepared to go to almost €1000 for a decent set up. If you worried about price, go for a laptop and decent controller such as the X-ponent or the Hercules RMX.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭EvolutionNights

crxsi wrote: »
    any good irish website where to but equipment.

http://www.aquariussound.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭crxsi

thanks a lot guys, will check it out..

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭M O N T O

I was thinking of Just getting Virtual Dj on the Laptop and then a mixer...Would this be alright or is there anything else i need?

Also Any cheap/second hand mixers floating around?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

M O N T O wrote: »
    I was thinking of Just getting Virtual Dj on the Laptop and then a mixer...Would this be alright or is there anything else i need?

A laptop with software and a mixer isn't really any good to you, as you can't use headphones, so you can't listen to the mix before you bring it in. For that, you'd need either an external soundcard or a midi controller with a built in soundcard. Midi controller would probably be better, as mixing on laptops can be messy without one.

I would echo that. You need a decent controller and a fairly decent laptop. Again, whats your budget so we can guide you in the right direction? You still looking at €600+ for a laptop and controller (Buying brand new of course, you may be lucky and go second hand)

Well i have got A laptop, not mine personally more of a family one, i havent got any software installed on this but i do have Virtual Dj & FL studio on the PC.
    If i needed to buy a new laptop & controller then the €600-€800 region would be perfect.
    I'm pretty newbie-ish when it comes to anything audio-production/djing related, but looking at midi controllers it seems to have a lot more than needed, as I'd only be mixing in 2 channels. Am i missing something essential?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

You need something like this: http://www.thomann.de/gb/hercules_dj_console_rmx.htm. It controls however many channels you're using on the laptop, with VDJ it's gonna be 2, with Traktor it could be up to 4. With a laptop mouse you can only do one thing at a time, say fade in the bass on one track, whereas with a controller you can fade in the bass of one while bring out the bass of another, that's basically why you need one.

i was looking at one of these, probably a little more in my price range
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_bcd3000.htm

Its the Behringer BCD3000, It looks good enough and its a decent enough price, I wouldnt be looking for anything too flashy, just enough to get me going at home really.
    At the Same Time i wouldnt want to be using something cheap and faulty, as I've had with hardware for producing music before. Anyone ever had experience with this controller and can tell meif its worth buying?

• Advertisement

To be honest, if you can afford the Hercules RMX or Numark OmniControl, go for them. They really are the semi-pro tier and my recommended entry gear. Beyond that, the Torq X-Ponent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Keep an eye on adverts.ie. There's regularly bargains to be had on controllers in the pro audio section:
    http://www.adverts.ie/showcat.php?cat=55

And check back here to make sure you're not buyng rubbish :)

Advertisement