Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So so so Excited! Brand new animal shelter opening day!

Options
  • 24-09-2009 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭

Hi everyone, can't wait to share the news to those who don't know.

Dogs Trust, well recognised English animal charity, just built their first EVER Irish shelter in North County Dublin! I am super excited because I have always wanted to volunteer and help out at a shelter but the DSPCA was two hours drive away. This is somewhere near ashbourne and Dublin airport.

The official opening day is October 12th at 12 noon and I'm can't wait to go see and get a volunteer form!

www.dogstrust.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

I would love to see a shelter open in this town. After all this town is getting fairly big now. Also I love dogs. I would visit the shelter a few times a week just to see the dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

That is just fantastic news. From what I hear the Uk are so much more into animal welfare, rarely putting dogs down (unless sick of course). They couldn't come at a better time either with people struggling financially to keep their pets. I wonder who they get their funding off? I hope they aren't relying on the measley funding of the Irish government!

Best of luck to them and lets hope this is the start of something more positive for the animal population of Ireland!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

lubie76 wrote: »
    That is just fantastic news. From what I hear the Uk are so much more into animal welfare, rarely putting dogs down (unless sick of course). They couldn't come at a better time either with people struggling financially to keep their pets. I wonder who they get their funding off? I hope they aren't relying on the measley funding of the Irish government!

Best of luck to them and lets hope this is the start of something more positive for the animal population of Ireland!!

I donate a few quid on direct debit and i think thats where all the money comes from, great that its opening soon..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭PetrovthePrat

This can only be good for the four legged population. Other then some smaller rescues and DSPCA in south Dublin there's sod all help for strays and cruelty cases. This might even keep a few out of the pound!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

So awesome!

• Advertisement

Is anyone else heading out there?

Is there anything on for the opening? Wouldn't like to show up and be in the way if they're just getting started. Just emailed for the volunteering form.

Not sure exactly what is on yet, but they do describe it as "being open to the public" on oct 12 so the shelter is already running ect. Would be a crummy first open to the public day if no one turned up!

True,very true. Somewhat off topic but it might be of interest,the volunteering program is being roled out early next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Monday is a bad day to be opening though, a weekend would have been better. Best of luck to them though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Harris

Why are they only "rolling out" the volunteering programme next year when so many people are keen to help..like now?? With so many people out of work and looking for things to do, I would think they would be glad of all the help they can get from the start.

I've no idea why it's being rolled out later then the opening. I'm not involved with Dogs Trust in any way other then having sent an application. But maybe they need time to process and screen the masses of volunteers? Or perhaps it's just rubbish management? If you do want to volunteer sooner,DSPCA are always looking for willing hands,and Ashton Pound need walkers. And I heard something about ASH needing walkers. I know their all Dublin centered,but I'm a Jackeen and proud!

Advertisement