Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JFL

Options
  • 24-09-2009 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭

Decided I might aswell start a log to keep me motivated and keep track of progress. I have been really busy over the last two years with business and haven't been a member of a gym for as long. I have been doing some dips and pullups at home and lots of heavy lifting in the warehouse but no real working out. I am moving the business over to Sandyford Ind estate and I have moved over here aswell so I joined TF.

I am 6 foot 3 inches and about 92kg at the moment, bf probably about 15%. I have a bad habit of not training because of life or business. I always think I will get back into training properly after I finish this project or that business and I never get there. For example at the moment I am setting up a showroom, shop and warehouse for irish lifting in sandyford, opening a non profit gym in Dublin 1, setting up my own factory in China and working on a brand new product which is launching in the states in Jan! I have decided that I will always have a new project and if I keep putting off training properly I will never get around to it.

I am going to take simple front and back photo's to gauge progress. I have been in good shape 5 or 6 years ago so have a decent base to build off. I only noticed recently that one side of my chest is a big bigger than the other. Not 100% sure if it's a genetic insertion problem or just a stronger muscle but I am going to do lots of dumbbells and make sure I get a full range of motion on both sides to see if it catches up.

Anyway I did about a 4 fullbody workouts over two weeks to try and get my body used to training again and two proper but low volume workouts so far, I find that my strength is decent but that I cant last long lifting before I run out of steam. I do a really basic 4 day split, always have and probably always will, back + bi's, chest + tri's, shoulders + traps and legs.

21/09 Chest and Triceps

Dumbbell press
    (warmup) 25kg dumbbells, 8 reps
    40kg dumbbells, 10 reps, 6 reps, 4 reps

cable crossover flies
    35kg a side, 14 reps, 12 reps
    40kg a side, 10 reps, 10 reps

Dips
    bw, 12, 8, 7

Tri cable extensions
    35kg 10, 8, 7

Dumbbell skull crushers
    12.5kg dumbbells (!)
    8, 7, 6

22/09 Back and Biceps

Wide grip pullups
    20, 11, 8

Hammer strength row
    35 a side, 12, 10, 10

Hammerstrength pulldown
    40 a side, 10, 10, 10

Alternative dumbbell curls
    22.5kg dumbbells 10, 9, 7

Neutral grip Pullups
    bw 8, 6, 5

Preacher curl
    35kg 8, 7, 7

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dave80

great to see more logs starting up, fill us in on the dublin 1 gym?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

hey mickk, malteaser pointed ya out the last day, red shirt yea? nice to see ya up there! ill say hello next time i see ya

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Jesus Mickk... you're not in bad shape!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Great to see you back training again Mick. Love the thread/log title also :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Mick that's not you. For a start, there's no litre of Supermilk in your hand. You just got some other ginger chested man to stand there and you took a photo of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

dave80 wrote: »
    great to see more logs starting up, fill us in on the dublin 1 gym?

I have been involved with a gym in Frederick St for years and we are moving it to a new place. We are just waiting on planning permission for a 5000 sq ft open plan place just off Mountjoy Square. We are just going to run it the same way Hercs does, all the members pay subs and all the money goes back into equipment. I am going to put in a load of strongman stuff aswell because no where else has any, atlas stones, yoke, proper tyres and maybe even a hummer deadlift ;)

Roper wrote: »
    Mick that's not you. For a start, there's no litre of Supermilk in your hand. You just got some other ginger chested man to stand there and you took a photo of him.

Your just jealous I have hair baldie. Hows that infomercial performance gym going for ya, heard some bloke put on 30lbs of pure muscle and lost 40lbs of fat since you opened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Mickk wrote: »
    Your just jealous I have hair baldie. Hows that infomercial performance gym going for ya, heard some bloke put on 30lbs of pure muscle and lost 40lbs of fat since you opened?

It's all true. I'm just waiting on the DVD to be completed so that I can sell out like you. Well, that's not true really, no one can sell out quite like you ;)

Roper wrote: »
    It's all true. I'm just waiting on the DVD to be completed so that I can sell out like you. Well, that's not true really, no one can sell out quite like you ;)

You should get Damien on it, yourself and Will are better suited to radio... Anyway you know the results he can get.

25/9
    Legs

Squats
    80kg...
    10, 10, 10

Leg press
    120kg
    10, 9, 8

Leg ext
    55kg
    10, 9, 8

Ham curl
    40kg
    10, 10, 10

Calf raise
    120kg
    10, 10, 10

I have really bad legs, I hurt my knee in a motor bike crash when I was 19 and used it as an excuse not to train them for a few years so they are way behind. They were cramping as I was squatting 80kg!

Also turns out I am only 88kg on the scales in TF. That suits me fine tbh, it means I should put go up in weight easier. At my best I was about 103kg and around 12-15% so I will hopefully put muscle back on quickly.

Shoulders and traps 26/9

Dumbbell Press
    30kg dumbbells
    10, 9, 8

Hammer strength shoulder press
    80kg
    10, 9, 8

Lateral raises
    10kg dumbbells
    14, 12, 12

Rear delts
    55kg
    12, 10, 8

Shrugs behind the back
    60kg barbell
    12, 12, 10

Felt good, probably my favourite (and easiest) workout.

28/9 Chest and Triceps

Flat Dumbbell press
    37.5kg 8 reps
    42.5kg 8, 7, 6

Cable Flies
    35kg a side
    12, 10, 10

Dips
    12, 11, 9

Rope pushdowns
    35kg
    12, 10, 8

The dumbbell pressing felt great, it was really solid and I made sure I got a good stretch at the bottom of each rep and touched my chest. It was the first time I still felt strong after 3 heavy sets, up till now i have been ready to pass out after one or two heavy sets. Gonna start taking creatine in a few weeks when I need a boost.

30/9
    Back and Biceps

Wide grip pullups
    18, 9, 8

Bent over dumbbell rows
    45kg dumbbell
    10, 9, 8

Hammer Strength row
    90kg
    10, 9, 8

Seated row
    90kg
    10, 10, 10

Bicep curls
    22.5kg dumbbells
    8, 7, 6

Pullups
    8, 7, 6

Hammer strength Bi curl
    35kg
    10, 10, 10

Legs
    2/10

Squats
    80kg
    10, 8, 7

Leg press
    120kg
    10, 9, 8

Hamstring curls
    45kg
    10, 9, 8

Leg Extensions
    55kg
    10, 9, 8

Calf raises
    100kg
    10, 9, 8

Nothing to note, just very basic training. Legs are still weak as **** but I will work hard on them over the next year and make them grow. Atleast the squats were proper deep atg squats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Mickk wrote: »
    I have been involved with a gym in Frederick St for years and we are moving it to a new place. We are just waiting on planning permission for a 5000 sq ft open plan place just off Mountjoy Square. We are just going to run it the same way Hercs does, all the members pay subs and all the money goes back into equipment. I am going to put in a load of strongman stuff aswell because no where else has any, atlas stones, yoke, proper tyres and maybe even a hummer deadlift ;)

Do that soon please,ill be able to get you a million members!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭jayoo

hey Mick, dont suspose you want to set up a new gym in galway,Please:D

Gintonious wrote: »
    Do that soon please,ill be able to get you a million members!!!!

Haha yea I hope it will be good. With a million members we could arrofd some serious equipment! We had to save up money to pay for planning permission but thaqt is going in this week and because of the building slump I have been told applications can be processed in half the normal time if you are lucky.

jayoo wrote: »

Why don't you try it, get 20-30 people to put up 500 to a grand each and just buy a load of second hand equipment. Premises have never been so cheap...

I have been training over the last two weeks but I haven't logged much. I missed 2 days this week because I was moving warehouse and it involver 200 plaaets of stock, a warehouse full of pallet racking, forklift and offices ect... Thankfully now it's all done and I can get back to normal life. I can count all the work as cardio so I'd say I got a bit leaner over the last week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

jayoo wrote: »

give me a year or two and I will set ye up with something proper :)

It's been ages since I updated this, I am training really hard consistently since the warehouse move and it's great to see what I was lifting when I started the log because all the numbers are up a decent amount. I'm not going to put up every workout but probably one of each bodypart once a month to keep track of any progress. I do pretty much the same thing every workout just because I pick the things that agree with me and I can really feel the muscle working. I will stick up current pics aswell because I have only put on 3-4lbs but I think I look bigger and a bit leaner.

Back and Biceps

Widegrip pullups strict
    12, 10, 9

Lat pulldown
    Fullstack 290lbs x 8, 8, 8

Bent over dumbbell rows
    45kg x 10, 8, 6

Bicep curls
    22.5kg dumbbells 10, 9, 8

Neutral grip pullups
    8, 7, 6

Concentration curls
    35kg stack 8, 6

Feel great lately, starting to feel strong again and the weights are starting to feel easier. I keep missing a meal about 3-5ish and just need to get organised and bring food to work with me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭jayoo

Hey mick never got back to you after i got my weights. There brill, got a 200kg deadlift the evening i got them :D, and now my brother has actually started doing some:)

Any chance that you will start stocking foam rollers and bands? once i get these i will be set :cool:

Cheers

Advertisement