Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R.O.F Question

Options
  • 24-09-2009 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I was just wondering, would a high speed gear set do the same thing as a high speed motor?
    Asking it becuase I installed a stronger spring and R.O.F has gone wayyy down.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

It shouldn't be a dramatic drop but you will usually see a slight slow down. Hispeed gears wouldnt necessarily be the first thing to do though, Id shim it and slap in some bearings.
    What sort of gun is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

As Richie's said, A good shim job can make a huge difference... Had to reshim someone's Aug recently... poor job made it quite lethargic... Fixing that gave it 5rps more atleast. Also a good greasing goes a long way, but again, conversely, not too much...

High speed gears generally are gears designed for going at high speed, not that they themselevs will 'increase' the RPS much alone. A highspeed motor like the guarder m120 will do nicely. Although it depends what your rof is now... and on what battery... A lower rate of fire is somethimes a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

I just reshimmed it now, so there is no wobble in the gears, I'm getting new bushings next week, so I'll see what its like then, I don't want a crazy rate of fire, just want it up a little.
    Thanks for that!

What kinda gun is it G?

Any chance it could be the motor alignment issue?

Masada wrote: »
    What kinda gun is it G?

Any chance it could be the motor alignment issue?

It's a Dboys M4, I don't think so, its in nice and level, I might need to tune it a bit. I'll mess aorund with it anyway and see what's what.

@Firekitten: I'm not sure how many rps I was getting before, but I'm definitely getting less now. I'm using an 8.4V. It doesn't bother me I was just curious.

• Advertisement

Good idea, best places to start Imo... you can generally tweak a few out by making it as economical as possible. Also the best place to start before going down the high speed zoomy motor route.

Do you know what size bushings your gearbox takes?

Feel free to drop it into me and i'll see if i can make it run any better man,

If its all fine you could go the G&P M120 route, lovely motors, you'll see a huge difference.

Masada wrote: »
    Feel free to drop it into me and i'll see if i can make it run any better man,

If its all fine you could go the G&P M120 route, lovely motors, you'll see a huge difference.

Ah it's alright, it's my birthday soon so I'm gonna upgrade the sh*t out of the gearbox, if it doesn't run right then, I'll bring it in to you :P

I'd be fitting a guarder if he went down that route... the g&p m120 (both make an m120 yes) is a little more prone to locking up its shaft.

lol, no bother man, :)

• Advertisement

Firekitten wrote: »

Do you know what size bushings your gearbox takes?

7mm one's I believe.

I'd be fitting a guarder if he went down that route... the g&p m120 (both make an m120 yes) is a little more prone to locking up its shaft.

Not in any of my rifles it isnt. And thats quite a lot. :)

Lefty: http://www.fire-support.co.uk/product-info.php?id=2690 <- very nice tbh.. i use them in several, much nicer than systemas or promys

Masada: I've had 6 come past me that locked up, required the shaft twisting with pliers to unstick, but acted as if the anti reversal was locked with the motor out of the gun... Perhaps a bad batch, But I've seen less trouble fro the guarder version of the same motor, especially as they were the original makers of it.

Lefty: http://www.fire-support.co.uk/product-info.php?id=2690 <- very nice tbh.. i use them in several, much nicer than systemas or promys

Thanks for that!

Masada: I've had 6 come past me that locked up, required the shaft twisting with pliers to unstick, but acted as if the anti reversal was locked with the motor out of the gun... Perhaps a bad batch, But I've seen less trouble fro the guarder version of the same motor, especially as they were the original makers of it.

Theres 2 main reasons that could happen to a motor, I have never seen it with all of mine so it might suggest a problem with the ones you saw.

1st, is a bent motor shaft, again something ive never seen with one but this causes some systema motors to bind.

2nd, is a collapsed bearing on the motor shaft, this leaves small metal filings and pieces in the motor that cause it to bind.

If i saw this on a gun, as i have with a number of VFC Scars and 416s, i would change the motor. unjamming it with a pliers is simply putting it off until it binds again.,:)

Havent had one back yet... Though I can see your point there...
    I think its most likely an odd batch.

Advertisement