Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Symbol

Options
  • 24-09-2009 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭

To all our Mods
    Would it be possible to add an extra symbol at the bottom of posts
    just like the Thank You symbol (Thumb Up), which i and others use to thank or show agreement with the opinions expressed by a poster

My sugestion would be a Thumb Down Symbol to show that you disagree with the comments, language or tone of comments/suggestions expressed by any poster on this forum
    i am sure there are many posters like me who disagree with some of the comments expressed here
    all we can do now is stay silent or engage in counter suggestions/banter
    i think this would be a quick means of getting feedback to see if others agree/disagree with you
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Too much potential to be abused.

Besides, if you agree with a poster, you needn't have to say a thing, to disagree, you should reply and contradict them.

Often I've wanted a similar button but they had a karma thing which was much the same back in the day, and it had plenty of abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The reputation system was tried on boards and it failed. If you disagree with someones opinion why not say what you find wrong with it. This is a discussion board after all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

gandalf wrote: »
    The reputation system was tried on boards and it failed.

Ya, it led to people ganging up on other posters, If one person gave a bad rep next all their friends gave bad rep as well.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Been suggested and dismissed several times already I'm afraid OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

DeBurca wrote: »
    My suggestion would be a Thumb Down Symbol to show that you disagree with the comments, language or tone of comments/suggestions expressed by any poster on this forum.
    Red rag to the bulls keyboard warriors, OP! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

To all our Mods
    just like the Thank You symbol (Thumb Up), which i and others use to thank or show agreement with the opinions expressed by a poster

My sugestion would be a Thumb Down Symbol to show that you disagree with the comments, language or tone of comments/suggestions expressed by any poster on this forum
    i am sure there are many posters like me who disagree with some of the comments expressed here
    i think this would be a quick means of getting feedback to see if others agree/disagree with you

td.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

That's called discussion, it's kinda the whole point of the site. Having an I agree and an I disagree function would kinda get in the way of that.

OP: I put forward position x

*people who agree give thumbs up*

*people who disagree give thumbs down*

*tumbleweed*

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

This idea has been rejected at least 6 times already this year.
    I should really stop reading Feedback threads...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

An File wrote: »
    I should really stop reading Feedback threads...

Or other people should read them more before starting new threads...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Ah the OP might not have realised this was discussed before. :)
    Too much potential to be abused.

Besides, if you agree with a poster, you needn't have to say a thing, to disagree, you should reply and contradict them.

Often I've wanted a similar button but they had a karma thing which was much the same back in the day, and it had plenty of abuse.
    Exactly. The great thing about the thanks button is when you agree with someone or really like their post or find it hilarious, you can express this without having to write a "I agree/that was really good/that was really funny" post, which gets fairly cumbersome when several people are writing them. Whereas when you disagree with something, writing a counter argument has a lot more value.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

To all our Mods
    No, we're still burying the bodies after the last time.
    Is that not the point of having a discussion site in the first place? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I think the +/- option on posts like on digg and other sites is a good thing TBH.

Sure it has its problems but for something like politics forum it might be good to help bury crap posts quickly and hone in mods.

I don't think VBulletin supports it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

gandalf wrote: »
    If you disagree with someones opinion why not say what you find wrong with it. This is a discussion board after all ;)
    orestes wrote: »
    That's called discussion, it's kinda the whole point of the site.

Unless you happen to link to a thread on the R+R forum in which case doing any of the above will be breaking the charter :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

To all our Mods

I'm completely behind this idea ... just so I can us it on the OP's post.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

on a side would it be possible to get a new symbol a the bottom so that we can rick roll people, this could actually just replace the thumbs down as we could just rickroll people we disagree with instead as that will shut them up

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

on a side would it be possible to get a new symbol a the bottom so that we can rick roll people, this could actually just replace the thumbs down as we could just rickroll people we disagree with instead as that will shut them up
    Rick rolling is so last year. Weve moved on to witty retorts this year. Do keep up.

The thumbs up is good because its positive, it breeds good feeling. Thumbs down would just do the opposite, and tbh, boards has quite enough rioting as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Oryx wrote: »
    Weve moved on to witty retorts this year. Do keep up.

lol, "witty" retorts. If you find one please do hotlink

Advertisement