Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Dublin Fusiliers by Johnny McEvoy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

The Dubliners: Dublin Fusiliers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Linus67

That's a great video! There is some brilliant footage in it.

It's a shame that hardly any Irish people commemorate the Irishmen who fought and died in World War 1 & 2.

I suppose that is what happens when your country has being run by Republicans who have a very different version of history and who have warped the truth to suit their own ends.

We all had family who served and died in both wars. Are people afraid to be proud of their family who fought and died in those wars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 sugarbaker01

Spent over a year on the road with johnny as his road manager. Could write a book but he would probably sue my a$$

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Linus67 wrote: »
    It's a shame that hardly any Irish people commemorate the Irishmen who fought and died in World War 1 & 2.

How do you know? What sort of "commemorations" do you expect?
    I suppose that is what happens when your country has being run by Republicans who have a very different version of history and who have warped the truth to suit their own ends.

Do you object to people having a different view of history to your own? If so, suck it up. We hardly agree on the present, why on earth should everybody agree on the past?

And as for warping the truth, take the mote out of your own eye the better to see the speck in somebody else's. "Republicans", as you call them are no different to people of other persuasions in that regard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I would not put this down to 'Republicans running the country', I don't consider a FF/Green party coalition Republican by any stretch of the imagination.

If you mean historically, then I agree that the public conciousness needs to be raised on this issue, and that consecutive governments throughout the history of the state (FG or FF in nature) have done nothing substantial on this issue.

I think in the earlier days of the state it was at least understandable that these men were shortchanged, we had just had a Rising, Civil War and a War of Independence. The underlying priority of our politicians was maintaining the unity of the state and anything even potentially divisive was not encouraged. That excuse no longer has any relevance so there is no reason for the greens or FF not to remedy this in my view.

Advertisement