Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

using a different router

• 24-09-2009 9:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

this is kinda a long shot and not really expecting anything to come from it but ill try anyway, basically awhile ago got a phone call from an eircom salesperson about switching to 2mb i did and it turned out my line cant handle it and i get disconnected a few times every day ive learned to live with it kinda and only really effects me when playing online. ive been waiting and hoping that eircom sort it out but its not going to happen and its down to the fact that i live roughly 4 miles from the exchange, i could switch back to 1mb but what i was wondering is would a different router help. i think i read somewhere that other routers can handle low sn margins in a way that the connection wont drop, im currently using the netopia 2247NWG.

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

How long is the snr? Have you checked your internal wiring? Do you have filters on any other phone extensions that may be connected?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 2048 256
    SN Margin (dB) 6.00 13.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 63.50 31.50
    CRC Errors 56 5

the line attenuation is very bad and the 6.00 sn margin is the highest i get maybe sometimes 7 but thats rare and theres not one day that it doesn't disconnect. ive tried with everything unplugged and still the same. just wondering is there a better router that would handle those stats better

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I am with Smart so on ADSL2+ which is more tolerant of bad lines. My own line isnt great and the snr often does down to 6 - I use an oldish Netgear with updated firmware and get pretty good service from it.

But as I keep saying on here the performance of equipment in particular situations is virtually impossible to predict so you could spend upwards of 50 euro and not necessarily get any improvement:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

think i managed to solve the problem, i hope so anyway. i installed new firmware on my router which seems to have stopped the sn margin going up and down so much. its now staying between 6.5 and 7.5 and im getting 0 crc errors. i hope this works cause this has being going on for a few months

Advertisement