Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M4 Toll

Options
  • 24-09-2009 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

I have recently started a daily round trip between Mullingar and Maynooth and want to use the motorway. Although it annoys the hell out of me to have to hand over €6 every day, it allows me to drop kids to school before leaving and get back to them without delay.

I never seem to have change so want to get a tag. Which one should i get and how does it work. I am rarely on any other motorway.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

I don't use the tag so can't advise there, but a lot of people commuting that route use the old Galway road around Enfield to avoid the toll. I jump onto it from Johnstown bridge and come off at the junction before Maynooth. Saves 6 Euro a day and only adds a couple of minutes to the journey (there is minimal traffic on the road for the 5K or so you are on it).
    Might be worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Think it's €1.90 each time you go through it if you have a tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

On a matter of principle, I will not use that road unless absolutely necessary (i.e. I'll be late for a meeting with serious repercussions). In November 2008 the price went up to €2.80 from €2.70, and then in December it went up to €2.90 - there's no excuse for that.

I commuted Longford to Maynooth 4-5 days per week for the last year. Commute times went from 60-65 minutes using the motorway, to 70-80 minutes using the old N4 from Kinnegad to Kilcock. Think about it, €30 per week is a hefty price to pay for an extra 1hr 40mins of travel time.

Anywho, according to the Eirtag site (run by Eurolink, who operate the M4 toll), the price is the same even with a tag - http://www.eirtag.ie/buy2.html

If it's the same price, then I recommend you just bring some plastic with you - VISA and LASER cards are accepted, even at the automatic machines. Just pop in the card, wait a second or two, take card, drive through.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I'm with eflow who confirmed M4 is the same price with or without a tag. Same is stated at www.easytrip.ie

Interesting, but slighty OT, to note how expensive eirtag are, I signed up to eflow on the phone, rent the tag for €1 a month and paid nothing else whatsoever. Then I save €1 a trip on Westlink and €0.15 a trip on Eastlink. Pays for itself and then some.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Better suited to Commuting & Transport.

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

the_syco wrote: »
    Think it's €1.90 each time you go through it if you have a tag.

same price with or without tag

Advertisement