Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower running, bathroom light turns off

• 24-09-2009 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭

I have noticed this over the last day or two that if I have the shower running and for some reason, the bathroom light turns off (changed bulbs and still happens) and I have to reset the power switches to get the light to turn back on. I have also noticed the toilet is taking ages to fill up.

Do you know what could be wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,477 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Your water storage tank may be leaking and this is causing a short in your electrical system.

Turn off your master fuse and using a torch, carefully check the area around your water storage tank.

It may also be possible that the lights and shower are on the same circuit when they shouldn't be.

You are likely to need an electrician to resolve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

angel01 wrote: »
    I have noticed this over the last day or two that if I have the shower running and for some reason, the bathroom light turns off (changed bulbs and still happens) and I have to reset the power switches to get the light to turn back on. I have also noticed the toilet is taking ages to fill up.

Do you know what could be wrong?

Is the shower an electric shower, it heats the water instantly and no need to preheat water?

If the light is on, as soon as you turn on the shower, does the light go out?

When you say 'reset', does the mcb in the fuse board trip to the off position and you have to put it back every time?

Does the light ever trip/go off anytime your not using the shower?

The toilet could be something sepeate altogether, dirt in the inlet, this can be taken apart handy enough, blow clean and reassemble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Davy wrote: »
    Is the shower an electric shower, it heats the water instantly and no need to preheat water?

If the light is on, as soon as you turn on the shower, does the light go out?

When you say 'reset', does the mcb in the fuse board trip to the off position and you have to put it back every time?

Does the light ever trip/go off anytime your not using the shower?

The toilet could be something sepeate altogether, dirt in the inlet, this can be taken apart handy enough, blow clean and reassemble.

It is not an electric shower. I have to preheat the water. It never trips as such, I have to reset it to get the light to go back on. No it used to be fine before but over the last day or two it just goes off every time. :(

Ok thanks, will have a look at the toilet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

angel01 wrote: »
    It is not an electric shower. I have to preheat the water. It never trips as such, I have to reset it to get the light to go back on. No it used to be fine before but over the last day or two it just goes off every time. :(

Ok thanks, will have a look at the toilet.

Does the shower have a internal pump to increase flow?

If the mcb never trips its not short circuiting between the live and neutral.

Does the light ever go off without the shower in use?

I think you will have to get an electrician to check the connections, and voltage.

Davy wrote: »
    Does the shower have a internal pump to increase flow?

If the mcb never trips its not short circuiting between the live and neutral.

Does the light ever go off without the shower in use?

I think you will have to get an electrician to check the connections, and voltage.

I also have figured out if I turn the light switch on then off a few times quickly, it comes back on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

sounds like you need an electrician on site to address this intermittent issue.

Thanks, will ring an electrician next week

Advertisement