Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ash - Massively Underrated?

Options
  • 24-09-2009 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I have to admit that I'm a big fan of Ash. I'm a nordy so I'm probably biased somewhat and I know some people complain that Tim Wheeler's voice is a weak link in the band. I personally don't agree.

I think they are a great band with brilliant melodic songs with addictive hooks. Been listening to their new single True Love 1980 and think it's fantastic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

I don't know if I would say massively underrated. I think they are just one of those bands who kept going (like Gomez) long past their prime when people have just moved on as other bands took over.

Free All Angels was huge in Ireland. But then a lot happened musically over the next few years and Ash sort of got left behind and kind of IMO became a bit passe and irrelevant. I enjoyed Meltdown, even though it was a massive change of direction, but by the time the next album came out, I just wasn't bothered anymore because there was so much else to listen to and what I heard of it just didn't grab me.

I really don't like their new sound at all. I find them quite boring and think they have lost their ability to write a decent pop tune. I think they were one of those bands that a lot of people liked, but wouldn't be obsessive enough about to be very loyal to and that's how they have just sort of faded out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Auzirish

Saw them in Sydney.

Played well, put on a show complete with silver shiny flying V guitar blasting pyrotechnics out the head.

Couldn't help but feel that the song writing is really only OK (in the sense that they are songs and they have been written), the voice is weak (that alone isn't enough to make a band bad), and that it was all just a huge **** to cover up the previous 2 points...

Generally unimpressed, but can see why people like them i suppose. They appear to be having fun, and living their adolescent dreams of stardom to one extent or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Ash used to be great.

Oh Yeah, Goldfinger, Burn Baby Burn, Kung Fu etc are just brilliantly poppy-punky-rocky songs.
    Tim was never able to sing unfortunately. I think they have gone downhill and I’m not really sure how relevant they are anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Monkey61 wrote: »
    I don't know if I would say massively underrated. I think they are just one of those bands who kept going (like Gomez) long past their prime when people have just moved on as other bands took over.

Spot on dude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I always thought they were massively overrated.

Bland songs, fairly catchy, poppy enough, but nothing that you'd ever consider a classic.

I never saw it tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

-Chris- wrote: »
    I always thought they were massively overrated.

Bland songs, fairly catchy, poppy enough, but nothing that you'd ever consider a classic.

Agree with that. I can put up with most of the drivel on the radio (if I happen to find myself listening to it :pac:) and Ash are one of the few acts that will have me switching off / over.

Just never liked them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Funny. I always thought Ash were unbelievably over rated. With songs bordering on headwrecking.

Edit: Wasn't the only one so :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Loved them, great singles band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Starting next week they are releasing a single every 2 weeks for the next year. The first one is called True Love 1980. It's pretty catchy I have to admit.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Starting next week they are releasing a single every 2 weeks for the next year. The first one is called True Love 1980. It's pretty catchy I have to admit.

I think that plan has disaster written all over it. I think unless the songs are consistently good they will just get on peoples nerves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭rowlandbrowner

the wedding present done something similar in '92. 12 singles, one a month for a year. they ended up equalling an Elvis Presley record for the most U.K. Top 30 hits in one year

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

the wedding present done something similar in '92. 12 singles, one a month for a year. they ended up equalling an Elvis Presley record for the most U.K. Top 30 hits in one year

And off the top of my head i think i can remember one of them...

Advertisement