Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap desktop pc from aldi from 27th sept

• 24-09-2009 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

http://aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/2827_10572.htm

Multimedia PC MEDION® AKOYA® E7330 D (MD 8335)
    each €489.99 *

Impressive processor
    Intel® Core™2 Quad processor Q8300 (2.5 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB, 4 MB Cache)

Brilliant graphics
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GT220 DirectX® 10 graphics card with 1024 MB dedicated memory on board and D-Sub VGA, DVI and HDMI connection

Huge memory
    4 GB (4096 MB)1 DDR2 SDRAM

Massive storage space
    640 GB hard disk – For more than 120.000 songs or photos2

Newest Wireless LAN IEEE 802.11 n-Draft technology
    with up to 300 Mbit/s. 802.11b/g compatible3

Upgrade4 with no licence fees
    from Windows Vista® to Windows® 7

Multiformat DVD/CD burner5
    supports all the usual DVD/CD standards, incl. dual layer DVD-R and DVD+R.

Network controller Gigabit LAN
    10/100/1000 Mbit/s. on board

eSATA connection
    for connecting external SATA devices

8 Channel High Definition Audio6

Huge software package (OEM versions) with Windows Vista® Home Premium 32 Bit
    with new Media Center interface (32 Bit version preinstalled, 64 Bit version included in delivery)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

Is it a good machine i dont know much about pc's i was looking at it as ill need a desk top for work/gaming :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Ok price but nothing special. You could get this from Dell for €569 with a bigger hard drive.
    Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core Q8300 Processor (2.5GHz, 4MB cache, 1333MHz FSB)
    Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium with Service Pack 1, 32-bit - English
    Display Not Included
    nVidia GeForce GT220 1024MB graphics card
    4096MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [4x1024]
    1TB (7200rpm) SATA Hard Drive
    DVD+/-RW Drive (read/write CD & DVD)

Not a lover of the Medions. People assume because they're in Aldi, they're a bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

But you could buy the medion and an extra TB hard drive for the price of the dell!

3 year guarantee probably comes with the medion as standard
    Probably has a few bits of software with it too
    Also has wireless
    Aldi have 4 imatation twixes aka Jive bars for 99c, can dell beat that?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭myles79

But you could buy the medion and an extra TB hard drive for the price of the dell!

3 year guarantee probably comes with the medion as standard
    Probably has a few bits of software with it too
    Also has wireless
    Aldi have 4 imatation twixes aka Jive bars for 99c, can dell beat that?:pac:

i bought this from dell ,ordered it a cpl of days ago which is pretty similar to the aldi pc except the dell has 1 tb hd and a tv tuner ,aldi one is €148 cheaper

Studio Desktop 540MT Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core Q8300 Processor (2.5GHz, 4MB cache, 1333MHz FSB)

Item Description Quantity Total Price
    Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core Q8300 Processor (2.5GHz, 4MB cache, 1333MHz FSB) 1 €499.92
    Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium with Service Pack 1, 32-bit - English 1
    Microsoft® Works 9.0 / English - (Does not include Microsoft® Word) 1
    1 Year Limited Warranty - Collect & Return 1
    Display Not Included 1
    4096MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [4x1024] 1
    1TB (7200rpm) SATA Hard Drive 1
    nVidia GeForce GT220 1024MB graphics card 1
    DVD+/-RW Drive (read/write CD & DVD) 1
    Dell™ USB Entry Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY) 1
    Dell 2 Button USB Scroll Optical Mouse - Black 1
    Resource DVD - (Diagnostics & Drivers) 1
    English Documentation with UK/Irish Power Cord 1
    D095403 1
    Studio Desktop 540MT Order - Ireland 1
    1Yr Limited Warranty - Collect & Return 1
    Datasafe Local 2.0 Basic 1
    No Security/Anti-Virus Protection - English 1
    Integrated Channel High Definition Audio 1
    No Speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system) 1
    No Modem 1
    Integrated Hybrid (Analogue/Digital) TV tuner PCIex1 card and Dell™ remote control 1
    Dell 1505 Wireless-N Network PCIe Card 1
    No Accidental Damage Support 1
    DataSafe Online Backup 2GB 1 year 1

Subtotal: €499.92
    Freight: €24.69
    Total Net: €524.61
    Enviromental Tax: €0.00
    VAT (Rate %): €112.79
    Total: €637.40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

myles79 wrote: »
    http://aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/2827_10572.htm

Multimedia PC MEDION® AKOYA® E7330 D (MD 8335)
    each €489.99 *

Impressive processor
    Intel® Core™2 Quad processor Q8300 (2.5 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB, 4 MB Cache)

Brilliant graphics
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GT220 DirectX® 10 graphics card with 1024 MB dedicated memory on board and D-Sub VGA, DVI and HDMI connection

Huge memory
    4 GB (4096 MB)1 DDR2 SDRAM

Massive storage space
    640 GB hard disk – For more than 120.000 songs or photos2

Newest Wireless LAN IEEE 802.11 n-Draft technology
    with up to 300 Mbit/s. 802.11b/g compatible3

Upgrade4 with no licence fees
    from Windows Vista® to Windows® 7

Multiformat DVD/CD burner5
    supports all the usual DVD/CD standards, incl. dual layer DVD-R and DVD+R.

Network controller Gigabit LAN
    10/100/1000 Mbit/s. on board

eSATA connection
    for connecting external SATA devices

8 Channel High Definition Audio6

Huge software package (OEM versions) with Windows Vista® Home Premium 32 Bit
    with new Media Center interface (32 Bit version preinstalled, 64 Bit version included in delivery)

What will the graphics card on this play?

• Advertisement

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    What will the graphics card on this play?

i asked same question in tech forum ...
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055690071

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

So i take it that this is a top end graphics card?-at this price..hymm bargain-the only thing i dont like is the medion chassis-its a bit ugly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

This is a proper BA,very good PC for a low price.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭serarra

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    So i take it that this is a top end graphics card?-at this price..hymm bargain-the only thing i dont like is the medion chassis-its a bit ugly.
    No, is not.
    Gt220 are in range with the 9500GT to 9600GT
    So, 1024 resolution, would be ok in medium settings in new games (maybe) but no high settings or high resolution.

serarra wrote: »
    No, is not.
    Gt220 are in range with the 9500GT to 9600GT
    So, 1024 resolution, would be ok in medium settings in new games (maybe) but no high settings or high resolution.

does the resolution of the monitor your using have any effect on this? i bought this one http://tinyurl.com/ycfwuqc which is 2048x1152 is that of no use while playing games because of the graphics card?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭serarra

does the resolution of the monitor your using have any effect on this? i bought this one http://tinyurl.com/ycfwuqc which is 2048x1152 is that of no use while playing games because of the graphics card?
    The important is not the maximum resolution your monitor supports (in this case 2048x1152) but the one you select on the game.
    The higher the resolution, the more detail you will have, as the pixels are smaller, so for the same image you are using more dots, so is more clear.
    But the graphic cards have to calculate and then draw those pixels, so, the more pixels, the slower will work. (Actually will work as fast, but there is more work, so will take longer, so will not be able to finish drawing one image when the game ask the card to draw the next one, so you will have a very low performance)

If you select a lower resolution (something like 1024x768), the card will have fewer pixels to calculate, so will be faster. The only problem is that, as that is not the native resolution of your monitor, could be a little blurry.

For playing new games, at your native resolution, with full effects, you will need at least a gt275

For this card, effects on low or at least on medium, and still don't think it would be able to do it properly at 2048.Maybe at 1600

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭nantony98

Harvey Normans are doing a Compaq Dual core, 3GB ram 640 GB HD for €348 tomorrow. Dont know any of the other specs but seems quite cheap and may be just as good as the one in ALDI.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

nantony98 wrote: »
    Harvey Normans are doing a Compaq Dual core, 3GB ram 640 GB HD for €348 tomorrow. Dont know any of the other specs but seems quite cheap and may be just as good as the one in ALDI.

Seems to be this:http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01775352&lc=en&dlc=nl&cc=nl&product=3971742&lang=nl

Pretty craptastic. Not bad if it comes with a screen as it should do if HN have got the model right (vg031aa), but I suspect it's just the tower that normally comes with that bundle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭corkproducers

Woah!
    That monitor has ZOMG resolution.

Youll need ZOMG HD games, and a ZOMG graphics card to get the full use out of that monitor.

I doubt theres many games that offer a ZOMG resolution at the moment,
    youd be lucky to find anything over full HD.

Btw, anyone know what motherboard that Medion has, or which they usually use?

The Targa PC's in lidl seem to be more informative about all the hardware,
    i've had my Targa machine about 4 months now, and im absolutely chuffed with the performance and reliablity.

Id have done much worse by buying a Dell or a HP machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Not a lover of the Medions. People assume because they're in Aldi, they're a bargain.

I picked up a Medion last year and I have to say its a fine machine.
    Got mine in NI Lisburn cant remember the retailers name.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I've had 3 Medions and they were all fine, great for HTPC in the past as they came with SCART/Component/HDMI/S-Video/Composite and sat tuners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

:confused:
    Picked up one of the Medion's in Aldi today but have no monitor. Where is best price for a flat screen (17" or 19") at the mo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Tralfamadore

Hi,

I'm very interested in this machine from the point of view of booting from the eSATA (HDDrive2Go) connection. Can you select this drive in the boot order?

I would like to copy the disk image on the existing hard drive onto a disk in the eSATA connection, and then change the boot order.

Is this possible?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Should be possible, thats what my mate does , has a "gaming" install of XP which he boots from eSata port on external hard drive. Works fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Tralfamadore

majiktripp wrote: »
    Should be possible, thats what my mate does , has a "gaming" install of XP which he boots from eSata port on external hard drive. Works fine.

Thanks very much. I shall probably wait until Medion/Aldi bring out a machine with Windows 7 pre-installed. I know that you get a free upgrade with Vista but I'm very wary of going down that route. Hopefully Aldi will have such a machine available before Christmas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement