Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insuring for less than a year

• 24-09-2009 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

This is prob a stupid question. :o Is it possible to insure a car for less than a year. I am going travelling next year. My insurance is up soon but I will only be driving for 3 months. I need a car as I have a long commute to work.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

yeah just pay per month. i know quinn let you pay per month then you must cancel in writing then pay 20 euro admin fee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

Renew and then cancel mid-term. Don't mention the fact that you don't intend keeping the policy for a year.

If you're lucky, you'll be with a company that doesn't penalise you for cancelling mid-term. If your company does impose such penalties, you might want to shop around for one that doesn't when you're due for renewal. But when if shopping around try to be savy when asking about mid-term cancellation penalties;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

even if you do insure a car for a year you can cancel it and recieve a refund but you will lose money doing this,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

bladebrew wrote: »
    even if you do insure a car for a year you can cancel it and recieve a refund but you will lose money doing this,

Depends on the company. Some will offer a pro-rata refund

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

You'll most likely have to take out a year's policy. Short term private motor insurance isn't something that Irish insurers bother to offer. It doesn't matter if you pay up front or monthly as they'll have to refund you for the uninsured period. Just make sure whatever policy you take up doesn't have a large cancellation fee as that will be deducted from your refund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

some companies will also just suspend a policy if you are going just for a few months and you can reinstate it when you get back. Someone i know did this when going to Australia for 3 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

some companies will also just suspend a policy if you are going just for a few months and you can reinstate it when you get back. Someone i know did this when going to Australia for 3 months

I did that before, no hassles with it. Most companies will charge a premium when you cancel early but it should be in their T&C's. If you can't find the policy on their website get someone else to ring up for a quote for a car and get them to ask.

OP what type of car have you and where are you planning on leaving it when travelling? If it's a decent car it may be cheaper to leave it insured, or only get TPF&T on it then risk loosing it all.

Advertisement