Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too soon to form a band?

• 24-09-2009 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Hello everyone.

I am a 13 year old guitarist. I've been playing guitar for about 4 1/2 years. I was on the Acoustic for about 2 years and then my electric for about 2 - 2 1/2 years. I've also been writing some material for quite a while.

Is it too early to join or form a band?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Whatever about joining a band, I would definitely say you should seek out others of around your own age, with similiar musicial interests to jam with. Playing with others is a great way to improve. Later, if you all gel as a unit, and practice regularly, you could consider forming a band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

As usual I agree 100% with Rigsby. I started playing in a band aged 16 with a few other mates. We were all bored in 4th year in school and playing music was a good way of keeping busy. It's all well and good jamming along to a CD but getting into a room with others for a jam beats it hands down. You have to learn how to keep time with others, learn the art of non-verbal communication and a lot more. It doesn't have to be a full-on band situation but if you do keep it up you will definitely improve your playing a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fguihen

you'l learn more in a month in a band or playing with other people than in 6 months on your own in your bedroom. even if you go nowhere with this band, give it a go. its worth it for the exprience alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭dochara

Stick up an advert in your local supermarket (or school):
    Guitarist seeks other musicians to form band

Age group: 12 - 14

Drummer, bass-player, keyboards (or any other instruments you might have in mind).

Good luck with it - I started my first band for a talent-competition when I was 14. We came second! ;)

Advertisement