Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wake on access to share

• 24-09-2009 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭

Is there a way to tell windows to wake from sleep when I attempt to access a shared folder on it?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

check the network card settings for bring this pc out of standby

you may also need to look at WoL wake on Lan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I think I turned off that because it will wake from sleep from any newtork activity, not just the access you need, I'd put it to sleep but it wouldimmediately wake after a second or two. :(
    Looking at it now I see there's an option to wake from a "magic packet"... whatever that is, wizards! :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

This is exactly what i'm trying to find out:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055691313

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941145 may be what you're looking for, regarding "magic packets".

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

actually look up AMD rather than microsoft if you are looking into magic packets

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

I've tried various magic packet senders, WOL Magic Packet Sender, Jimmy's Magic Packet, and WOL GUI but the only thing that will wake my computer from sleep / standby is the WOL utility on my router.

Using WOL Magic Packet Sender install on both computers, it reports that the magic packets are making it to the destination, while the computer is on, but they have no effect when it is asleep.

again check the BIOS settings

and the network card ones in device manager

other wise the PC will just ignore them

again check the BIOS settings

and the network card ones in device manager

other wise the PC will just ignore them

The fact that it does wake from a magic packet sent from the router means the PC is configured properly, it just doesn't want to wake from any of the utilities I've tried.

fair enoughski

Have you checked firewalls on the other pc's allow the packets to be sent ?

OT
    Which router are you using ?
    might be a PITA to get it to bounce the WOL packet from another PC if all else fails

fair enoughski

Have you checked firewalls on the other pc's allow the packets to be sent ?

OT
    Which router are you using ?
    might be a PITA to get it to bounce the WOL packet from another PC if all else fails

Yeah I disabled the firewall on the sending machine, and even tried a python WOL script for XBMC which is totally un-firewalled.

With WOL Magic Packet Sender you can install it on the destination machine and have it listen for incoming Magic Packets.

It alerts me when it receives magic packets sent from itself on the sender machine, and from WOL GUI, but does not alert me when I send a Magic Packet from the router interestingly enough.

I'm using a LinkSys WRT54GL flashed with the "Tomato" firmware.

I'll try connect my laptop to PC via crossover and send a magic packet to see does it work without the router in the picture.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Built in or network cards? I seem to remember when doing some WOL stuff years back having to check the network cards old 3Com 905's as far as I can remember had the WOL cable plugged in a little 3 cable thing with a small connector at each end. However built in cards with WOL support obviously wouldn't need the extra cable.

So details of the network card might be handy in case someone else has either got that card/mobo working or failed?

Edit> sorry just reread all the thread an notice I'm talking crap as you have got it running locally. So to add to the rubish I've already said if all else fails could you send the magic packet locally by login into say a Remote Desktop and send the WOL magic packet?

Edit2> you could try sending a magic packet from here http://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/woli.aspx might rule out any problems from the sending end?

Advertisement