Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UTV Brainbox Discussion Thread **Reasonable discussion only!**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Incidentally, the legendary Greg Scott is also a Price-Drop TV regular - if it ever happened that he turned up on Brain Box, I'd say he'd be just as great on it as he was on Quizmania. He'd certainly be way better than any of the current male presenters.

legendary is an understatement, he deserves to be given his own tv show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Has this been pulled by UTV?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Haddockman wrote: »
    Has this been pulled by UTV?

What made you think that?

Carmel was on it a few hours ago. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭.BrianJM

Saw the last half hour of the show on several occasions recently and am not excited by it. Not much of a challenge.

As Carmel makes her first appearance in what seems like yonks, I notice that Brain Box has made its way onto the STV schedules in Scotland.

Meanwhile, ITV1 viewers in England and Wales are getting something called The Zone, which features segments from Challenge Jackpot.

The axeing of late night phone-in quizzes on the ITV network at the end of 2007 (not counting the following year's Bingo Night Live) has thus almost been completely reversed - so could those English and Welsh viewers yet be seeing Brain Box?

...and with the added viewers from Scotland that means it'll be harder to get through; and it's still just a lottery.

Auld-Yin wrote: »
    ...and with the added viewers from Scotland that means it'll be harder to get through; and it's still just a lottery.

The show still hasn't got itself in major trouble yet, though, AFAIK - and after around a year on air, that's quite remarkable.

That's not saying anything bad about it, mind.

If there is one bad thing about Brain Box, it's that the male presenters seem to be appearing more and more... :mad:

It's hard to find something meaningful to complain about. Maybe I better read the Ts & Cs first.

Meanwhile, what about SCHOOL For Scoundrels?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

There is no way of knowing the odds of getting through to the show. whilst it tells you how many people have tried to get through to the studio in the last minute, it does not always say how long it will be before a call will come in.

• Advertisement

Indeed. The old line of attack against Play could be used here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭matty_fryatt

at least they let callers through and have gettable answers except for the top money,also i have been watching it for a while and there is no prank callers at all except when they were looking for answers beginning with hand

Putting aside for the moment this whole thing about stopping Brain Box...

The male presenters seem to be dominating the show at the moment! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Is there anyone else who's not happy about it? After all, they're not seriously good male presenters, like JG Murphy or Greg Scott...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BMollie

Just to note a possible trend - Shane McShane from Co.Tyrone won £2,970 from 10/4 to 12/8, and James Martin from Belfast won £3,650 from 30/3 to 18/8. Lot of money for these individuals seeing that most people who ring in cannot get through.:eek:

Any Sharon Clancy fans? She said she will be in White's Hotel in Wexford at the weekend, singing for charity.

We know that Brain Box is run by the same people behind Channel 5's Quiz Call.

It was a big surprise, though, to see QC's chief host on tonight's show - but, for me anyway, it was a pleasant surprise too.

Cause I've got to admit, I've always liked Liz. And if she were to join Brain Box full time - well, she'd be a very welcome addition, even if the male presenters continued to dominate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

BMollie wrote: »
    Just to note a possible trend - Shane McShane from Co.Tyrone won £2,970 from 10/4 to 12/8, and James Martin from Belfast won £3,650 from 30/3 to 18/8. Lot of money for these individuals seeing that most people who ring in cannot get through.:eek:

Any Sharon Clancy fans? She said she will be in White's Hotel in Wexford at the weekend, singing for charity.

Also there is a guy from Limerick who seems to be on a roll the last few nights (although he managed to get one wrong last night:-S). Think his wife and his mother join in as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

'Jobs that start with S?'

Answers given:
    Shef, then Sivil Servant

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Was it on TV3 last night? just looking on digiguide and they had Police,Camera, Action on at 1am, and they have it in for tonight at 1.15. Have they dropped it already, or is it just a mistake? :confused:

It wasn't on.

TV3 didn't show it last night - or the night before.

Is it possible that they've actually realised that maybe it wasn't such a good idea showing it in the first place?? :eek:

Meanwhile, last night's show was the SIXTH in succession to be hosted by a man... :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I think McMunn and co have realised finally that it was not a good idea.

• Advertisement

"...not a good idea", is rather generous.
    It was totally flawed. Presumably TV3 would expect income from UTV but UTV wouldn't necessarily get more revenue because the complete show is and has been widely available for some time.
    ~~~
    Maybe they had it on a 14 day trial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Auld-Yin wrote: »
    "...not a good idea", is rather generous.
    It was totally flawed. Presumably TV3 would expect income from UTV but UTV wouldn't necessarily get more revenue because the complete show is and has been widely available for some time.
    ~~~
    Maybe they had it on a 14 day trial.

I don't think it even lasted 8 or 9 shows on TV3. Quite a bizarre replacement though over the next few days. An example from tonight on 3text is: 11:00 FILM 1:10 Teleshopping 1:40 Worlds Most Amazing Videos 2:40 Close 3:40 FILM! Kingdom Of Heaven

And even next week there's only TBA's on. Surely there must be something that can be put on apart from Home Shopping rubbish.

They'd be better off closing down for a few hours.
    Audience figures between midnight an 6:00am, real or projected, must be a lot lower than 6:00pm to midnight and there's a huge amount of (repeat) viewing already available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I love the way TV3 are showing ads for ComReg now :-D

LOL! :D

...and UTV have increased call charge in North by 50%.

I'm blabbering on about the presenters again, but anyway...

After the six successive shows at the end of September where a man was hosting (see post #70), six of the next eight were hosted by Carmel or Sharon.

Perhaps it was realised that the men were being treated a bit too generously?

However, it seems they're back in charge - tonight's show is the third in succession to be hosted by one. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭dangerpowers

So this is where everyone has moved to!

Blondie on tonight!!

So which site are we to use? It's confusing having two of them. The UTV Brainbox or TV3 one???:confused:

Just see that the TV3 thread is locked....so makes sense just having the one.

Sorry to bump this thread up - but we've got a new female host tonight!! :D

It must be said, though, the earliest days of the show - when Carmel and Danielle were the only presenters - feel like a very long time ago now.

Danielle appears to be concentrating on Price Drop TV and its sisters these days :(:(:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jWTxCwHMXQ

Carmel, meanwhile, has turned up on Challenge Jackpot - perhaps she's decided to spend more time on that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyhcuGnhWG0

• Advertisement

...so I decided to have a look and then decided to get some sleep.

The only one I've liked so far is Sharon.

So how many legs have been on the brainbus, sorry, box??? Bet you'll never guess that one...
    Well will make it easy for Dangerpowers, and GoHarveyGo...How many female legs? :D:D:D

BMollie wrote: »
    So how many legs have been on the brainbus, sorry, box??? Bet you'll never guess that one...
    Well will make it easy for Dangerpowers, and GoHarveyGo...How many female legs? :D:D:D

Well we've had Carmel and Danielle, and Sharon and Liz, and now this new lass - so that's ten female legs. :D

We've had at least three men, so at least six male legs - making at least sixteen legs in total. :D

Unless you have other ideas... :D:D

Holy moly - two new female hosts in just four nights!

Make that twelve female legs, and at least eighteen legs in total... :D

Holy moly - two new female hosts in just four nights!

Make that twelve female legs, and at least eighteen legs in total... :D

Well this is where it gets confusing.... so another answer...well let's hope you keep counting..this might become as ambiguous, and infamous, as the tourist bus.. ;):D;)

A new, and rather blocky, logo on last night's show, together with updated graphics.

This logo hasn't taken its time appearing on the official site as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 melpeacheyfan

I heard last Sunday Mel Peachey presented Brain Box. Mel is a awesome presenter. Mel is off four days from Roulette Nation i'm hoping she will be on Brain Box. If Mel does present Brain Box this weekend November 12th-15th could someone record a little for me? Where i'm at we don't get it. I really appreciate it. i run a very successful site for Mel. any questions just email me Thanks.

Rick

Where does this stuff come from? The UK or Budapest?

Haddockman wrote: »
    Where does this stuff come from? The UK or Budapest?

If it came from Budapest, we'd all know about it, wouldn't we? :D:):D:)

It's still broadcasting from Teddington Studios.

• Advertisement

I heard last Sunday Mel Peachey presented Brain Box. Mel is a awesome presenter. Mel is off four days from Roulette Nation i'm hoping she will be on Brain Box. If Mel does present Brain Box this weekend November 12th-15th could someone record a little for me? Where i'm at we don't get it. I really appreciate it. i run a very successful site for Mel. any questions just email me Thanks.

Rick

So that's who one of those two new female hosts is!

I gather you're from either England or Wales, Rick - since Brain Box is also shown in Scotland.

If it came from Budapest, we'd all know about it, wouldn't we? :D:):D:)

It's still broadcasting from Teddington Studios.

and i can't see it unless someone records it thanks.

Nope I'm in America. First met Mel Peachey when she was here for a year doing Playmania which is same thing as Brain Box. I greatly appreciate some help getting it recorded when Mel is presenting. I have a very successful site for her on yahoo we have 645 members. check us out. Official Melissa Peachey Fansite. Thanks.

So that's who one of those two new female hosts is!

I gather you're from either England or Wales, Rick - since Brain Box is also shown in Scotland.

Jeepers creepers - the new female hosts seem to be pouring in like ants!!

I make that fourteen female legs, and at least twenty in total... :D:D

At this rate, we'll probably soon be seeing Quizmania's Debbie King, or Alex Kramer from Make Your Play and Glitterball.

There must be a reason, though, as to why so many new women have appeared recently. Could it be that they're being tried out with a view to making one of them a permanent host? Or is it a sign that the show's running into difficulties?

Who's all the new hosts other than Mel Peachey and Kay Little? Has Mel been on this weekend?

Oh Rick... Mel's on right now... :D:)

She's certainly not bad looking, I've got to admit.

I also notice they've changed the prop phone - the new one not being dissimilar to the one on Deal or No Deal.

• Advertisement

You mean Mel is hosting Brain Box right now? Tuesday/Wednesday night? het record some it for me thanks.

Rick

Oh Rick... Mel's on right now... :D:)

She's certainly not bad looking, I've got to admit.

I also notice they've changed the prop phone - the new one not being dissimilar to the one on Deal or No Deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

haven't watched this in ages, UTV is burried in "other channels" on my sky box
    none of the new presenters you mentioned would hold a candle to Carmel (on price-drop tv aloot recently)

the groutch then you haven't seen Melissa "Mel" Peachey. she beautiful . makes watching the Telly very enjoyable. check her out on youtube. i have a number og videos up of her even the BrainBox show she did. look under officialmelpeachey thats my name on youtube.

also check out Mel's official fansite on yahoo. Official Melissa Peachey Fansite. Thanks.

Rick

It looks like Brain Box is back to five nights a week now - not on Sundays or Mondays.

And as regards presenters, it looks like it's back to what it was before the flurry of new female faces last month - that is, Carmel, Sharon, Liz, and of course the men.

Shame, really - I quite liked Mel... :(

Mind you, it's hard to believe the show's being going for a year and a half now - and STILL doesn't appear to have run into any major trouble...

Go Harvey Go everyone likes Mel. She very easy on the eyes and i think she does a great job at presenting. If you haven't yet check out Mel's Official Fansite on Yahoo. I won't post the link without Owners approval. catch Mel early Wednesday or late Friday on Roulette Nation.

Rick

• Advertisement
Advertisement