Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Street Fighter 4 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Yeah but eh... thats a Spanish website I think :p

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

.cl

Columbia mofo, someone should play under the name Escobar.

Or someone cheap like Doom should be Tescobar.

Yeah that was pretty laboured.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

So were rankings carried forward from SFIV?

I had it on 360 but bought this one on ps3 as I'm too mean to pay for xbox gold.
    Pad's a lot better on ps3 as well, xbox one was a bit of a nightmare tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

No they are separate games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

.cl

Columbia mofo, someone should play under the name Escobar.

.co is Columbia.
    .cl is Chile ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

Hey guys dont no if this is the right place but i need a little advise. I hit SHTT hour last night on super and played against a few ppl that had me very frustrated cos i had no answer for their strategy.

Firstly it was a Balrog player that just crouched...didnt do anything...just crouched, im fully convinced it would have timed out to be a draw if i didnt press him. Anyway, i play mostly blanka so projectiles are were out of the question and d b.ball is too unsafe. I tried focus feints, hopping in, jumping feints, etc. Anytime i got close his punches were too fast and it pushed me back just enough to reset the distance. When i eventually got in i took advantage. It went to 3 rounds but i was out of sorts. It killed me to lose to this guy. I even closed on him millimeter by millimeter to try mix with his mind when i got close, no joy...

Second was a ryu (i have trouble with half of these guys anyway. Even tho every second person i play online is a ryu :confused:). The problem with this match was that he used projectile jump in jump out with such precision. Tried goin under to catch the jump but he managed to block every one of my attempts :( Basically the only damage i did was through ex b.balls and other ex moves. Take into account im having trouble blocking from D.B to S.B quick on stick. But everytime i did i got thrown anyway... If theres a ryu on Boards that plays like this id loves to have a session over Xbox live to help me with this match up. My GT is the same as my boards one.

Any advise would be helpful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Balrog is a very tough match for Blanka if he plays defensively. s.MP will beat out his cr.LP so you can use up close to try and break up his guard a bit and force him out in the open which will make the match a it more even.

I'm not 100% sure what your problem is with the Ryu match but it sounds like your AA is the issue. I would suggest trying cr.MP, if your not using it already. It's a surprisingly good AA.

Orim wrote: »
    Balrog is a very tough match for Blanka if he plays defensively. s.MP will beat out his cr.LP so you can use up close to try and break up his guard a bit and force him out in the open which will make the match a it more even.

I'm not 100% sure what your problem is with the Ryu match but it sounds like your AA is the issue. I would suggest trying cr.MP, if your not using it already. It's a surprisingly good AA.

s.MP may beat his cr.lp but that was just the start of the push back. Other than blankas cr.hp/s.mp Balrog has the advantage with range with his normals (cr.hp is quick and lengthy:D) and most likely if i tried a s.mp he would have tripped. after all hes waitin for me so his reflexes were pretty good. I suppose theres not much to do in that situation except close slowly and wait for an opening. seriously not a fun match.

As for the ryu it wasnt as simple as just the the AA. He never attacked by himself, fireball also. Ryus jumping hk? or medium won an aerial battle 8/10 times. If i stayed on the ground i had to block,so cr.mp was out of the question, believe me i know haha. He zoned me really well. And for the most part i was patient with this match but ran out of ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

You should always be at the right space to slide fireballs or cr.mp if he jumps when fighting ryu. If he walks forward you back up to keep him at the sweet spot. He cant really do much to hurt you when are at this spot.
    If he was just sitting there, use the ball a lot. If he is sitting there mashing jab you can slide or st.fp him. If he is just throwing out random cr.mp you have to careful throwing balls. Dont use reversal balls cos he will be ready for it and will be throwing out the cr.mp
    Its hard to know how good this ryu is without seeing a video. If he was really defensive to the point he was doing nothing at all it shouldnt be too hard. When I see people being really defensive or walking back a lot it makes me think that they are scrared of blanka and hate the matchup. Rush them down and use his mixups, cos usually they cant deal with it. They clam up.

Its a fairly boring matchup and you got to be patient. Also use ultra 2 in this match. Its good for punishing fireballs and you can chip kill him from full screen with it and he can do nothing about it.

Robbknoll wrote: »
    Hey guys dont no if this is the right place but i need a little advise. I hit SHTT hour last night on super and played against a few ppl that had me very frustrated cos i had no answer for their strategy.

Firstly it was a Balrog player that just crouched...didnt do anything...just crouched, im fully convinced it would have timed out to be a draw if i didnt press him. Anyway, i play mostly blanka so projectiles are were out of the question and d b.ball is too unsafe. I tried focus feints, hopping in, jumping feints, etc. Anytime i got close his punches were too fast and it pushed me back just enough to reset the distance. When i eventually got in i took advantage. It went to 3 rounds but i was out of sorts. It killed me to lose to this guy. I even closed on him millimeter by millimeter to try mix with his mind when i got close, no joy...

Second was a ryu (i have trouble with half of these guys anyway. Even tho every second person i play online is a ryu :confused:). The problem with this match was that he used projectile jump in jump out with such precision. Tried goin under to catch the jump but he managed to block every one of my attempts :( Basically the only damage i did was through ex b.balls and other ex moves. Take into account im having trouble blocking from D.B to S.B quick on stick. But everytime i did i got thrown anyway... If theres a ryu on Boards that plays like this id loves to have a session over Xbox live to help me with this match up. My GT is the same as my boards one.

Any advise would be helpful :)

No offense but Blanka is extremely annoying to play against, I can't beat any half decent Blankas online.

They were merely adjusting to combat an annoying character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭BourketheJerk

Hey Robknoll I play Ryu and would love to get some blanka experience, GT is bourkenator if you want some games.

jayteecork wrote: »
    No offense but Blanka is extremely annoying to play against, I can't beat any half decent Blankas online.

Yeah and he's asking what can he do to get around their adjustments.

No Offence. But this doesnt help me one bit HAHA ;)

Sisko wrote: »
    Yeah and he's asking what can he do to get around their adjustments.

Eat humble pie!

Bush80 wrote: »
    You should always be at the right space to slide fireballs or cr.mp if he jumps when fighting ryu. If he walks forward you back up to keep him at the sweet spot. He cant really do much to hurt you when are at this spot.
    If he was just sitting there, use the ball a lot. If he is sitting there mashing jab you can slide or st.fp him. If he is just throwing out random cr.mp you have to careful throwing balls. Dont use reversal balls cos he will be ready for it and will be throwing out the cr.mp
    Its hard to know how good this ryu is without seeing a video. If he was really defensive to the point he was doing nothing at all it shouldnt be too hard. When I see people being really defensive or walking back a lot it makes me think that they are scrared of blanka and hate the matchup. Rush them down and use his mixups, cos usually they cant deal with it. They clam up.

Its a fairly boring matchup and you got to be patient. Also use ultra 2 in this match. Its good for punishing fireballs and you can chip kill him from full screen with it and he can do nothing about it.

So basically i need alot more practise with the match-up and be more patient. Also not that good at pullin off ultra 2, another thing to put some time into, twas one reason i stopped playin guile in vanilla. Didnt really think that they'd be scared thought more that they know what to expect, ill try rushin the next few down and see how it goes. Thanks for the advise.

Eat humble pie!

Eh, okay..
    So basically i need alot more practise with the match-up and be more patient. Also not that good at pullin off ultra 2, another thing to put some time into, twas one reason i stopped playin guile in vanilla. Didnt really think that they'd be scared thought more that they know what to expect, ill try rushin the next few down and see how it goes. Thanks for the advise.

I don't play as blanka, so generally I'm in the camp of thinking of ways of beating him so I can't advise you much on here but I'll do what I can when I meet you at casuals and see how your playing and explain what things I'll be going for when trying to beat you, so you've more insight into what the other players trying at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Generic_name01

Me and Robbknoll got into this game together so my question is, how do I destroy Blanka! ;)

Nah seriously my question is if theres any Guy players out there, how do i stop jump ins or crossup pressure. I find my only options are EX tatsu or a well timed run to get away and a very well timed st.hk. Anything I'm missing out on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Instant Izuna Drop ruins a lot of things, but I wouldn't imagine it would be any use against crossups.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Would love to offer advice but I don't play Blanka so I don't know what your suppose to do with him against Rog or Ryu.

I know Rog is mean't to be one tough ass match for Blanka though.

Oh jayteecork, I sent you a friends invite to your PSN account. Bison player I see, I look forward to testing out your psycho power :D

Azza wrote: »
    Would love to offer advice but I don't play Blanka so I don't know what your suppose to do with him against Rog or Ryu.

I know Rog is mean't to be one tough ass match for Blanka though.

Oh jayteecork, I sent you a friends invite to your PSN account. Bison player I see, I look forward to testing out your psycho power :D

Accepted.

Although I suck fairly badly. Ramza made a monkey out of me as El Feurte.

I was watching the Balrog/Ryu (Wong/Daigo) final on youtube last night and it's hard to speculate on how bad I am compared to these guys, or anyone else half decent for that matter.
    (BTW, was Daigo playing Wong the whole time? He just seems in a different class. It seemed to me he purposely let the fight go to the very last round so he could get Wong's fans' hopes up then cruely take them away. He was always in control.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Me and Robbknoll got into this game together so my question is, how do I destroy Blanka! ;)

Nah seriously my question is if theres any Guy players out there, how do i stop jump ins or crossup pressure. I find my only options are EX tatsu or a well timed run to get away and a very well timed st.hk. Anything I'm missing out on?

EX Runs have Hyper armour so they'll allow Guy to run away from the cross up if timed right. As for AA normals guy has very situational ones, c.mp (imo) being the best of the bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Generic_name01

Instant Izuna Drop ruins a lot of things, but I wouldn't imagine it would be any use against crossups.

Could just be my timing but I can only catch a guy with the EX izuna drop if they are in the air before me. As in if their in the air already and I try the izuna drop I tend to lose.
    EX Runs have Hyper armour so they'll allow Guy to run away from the cross up if timed right. As for AA normals guy has very situational ones, c.mp (imo) being the best of the bunch.

Cool I'll try the c.mp. I'm pretty sure its just my timing but was finding it grating that my anti airs are just EX because I try to save it for his super or EX hozanto juggles. Thanks for the help lads

Sisko wrote: »
    Eh, okay..

I don't play as blanka, so generally I'm in the camp of thinking of ways of beating him so I can't advise you much on here but I'll do what I can when I meet you at casuals and see how your playing and explain what things I'll be going for when trying to beat you, so you've more insight into what the other players trying at least.

I dont suppose your from munster are you :confused: it'd be very difficult for me to make a dublin casual (im assuming their the ones your talkin about). Sure if your on XBL add me (same as my username). Thanks too.

With Great Difficulty!!! :D

Sometimes....

I dont suppose your from munster are you :confused: it'd be very difficult for me to make a dublin casual (im assuming their the ones your talkin about). Sure if your on XBL add me (same as my username). Thanks too.

Soz man , Dublin player and I'm on PSN :(

Gusy anyone know how the "more skilled" search works? sometimes you get someone with very low bp/pp but are able to look after themselves. Is win % taken into account?

Also, why have Capcom fked up with the replay channel? You should have tons more search options, and be able to rate replays that you watch that do not involve yourself. So you can search for specific characters and "best rated" so you can look to improve your game.
    Just getting fed with a bunch of random vids isn't that good.

Also, you should be able to see how other people react to your replays and read any comments that might have been posted. You have an offline channel but you have no idea what people think of replays that you uploaded.

Capcom need to address this in a patch imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

AFAIK it's based entirely on BP/PP which mean absolutely dick.

The highest BP guys I've encountered on ranked were all ragequitting twats who knew like 1 move each.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Blanka is tricky with Balrog.
    My win ratio is OK against Blanka and I have beaten some good ones.

Generally I turtle up in a corner, be boring, following a roll by my opponent I attempt a dash punch/low dash punch to test out his defense.

When HE closes the gap attempt to get inside him, hard punch low/jab depending on his blocking/attacks.
    Don't get caught by electricity and make sure your low block is up to scratch.

In general, I find if I try to close the gap against any decent player I get shut down pretty quickly.
    So being patient and making sure you don't fall behind in this fight is important.

I find the real struggle is finishing the fight, but I suppose staying disciplined is the real challenge in all patient fights like this. I have been half a bar ahead at times and blown it by 'coming out to play'.

It's not a fun fight, but if I am going for the win, it needs to be like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Balrog has a very good match against blanka, if he turtles and if he can maintain a health advantage. Your pokes outclass his and you can block his blanka balls and follow with a dash punch, and with rog's solid anti air game blanka will have trouble getting in if you maintain focus. You will get in trouble if you have to go after him (thus usually losing your charge) or if he scores a knockdown, where balrog is literally a helpless turtle stuck on his shell...

+this is based on my experience from SF4, have not played the match much in Super+

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Does fuertes ultra 2 have armour like abels?

Advertisement