Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Street Fighter 4 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

A-Trak wrote: »
    If anyone is watching the France vs. Mexico match, the announcer in the stadium sounds exactly like announcer in Super, it's brilliant.

he was the first thing in the world cup to actually have an atmosphere.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

For the record, you can't actually prove axioms :P
    In traditional logic, an axiom or postulate is a proposition that is not proved or demonstrated but considered to be either self-evident

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    For the record, you can't actually prove axioms :P

Furthermore, both people are proving the axiom in an axiom of the strong and the weak, so we can't really see which one is by who wins a fight. Both are.

Or not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Are you lads really starting a maths argument with a doctor of philosophy of mathematics?! :pac:

That'd be like me entering a boom war or a turtling war!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

I told ya Terry, you should insist that everyone addresses as Dr Top Tier.
    "He always carries the one."

• Advertisement

animaX wrote: »
    Are you lads really starting a maths argument with a doctor of philosophy of mathematics?! :pac:

That'd be like me entering a boom war or a turtling war!

I'm arguing with the grammer actually :)

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭joconnell

I'm arguing with the grammer grammar actually :)

:pac:

Oh DooM, that was poor :D

*Goes and edits about 50 of onions old posts*

>_> could you post in GH&RB so I can edit them? :P

• Advertisement

>_> could you post in GH&RB so I can edit them? :P

No, I only post in forums about interesting games.

:P

No, I only post in forums about interesting games.

:P
    Clearly you haven't seen Rock Band 3 stuff. Real Guitars and a keyboard and 7 pad drum sets. Bye bye fighting games come December!

Clearly you haven't seen Rock Band 3 stuff. Real Guitars and a keyboard and 7 pad drum sets. Bye bye fighting games come December!

Which then really multiplies the question:

Why don't you just do the real thing?

Unlike street fighter, in which the real thing would involve broken bones!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I never thought they could make a controller with MORE buttons than a Fightstick...

rockband23-thumb-640xauto-14640.jpg
    rockband21.jpg

It has 102 buttons... and is made by Madcatz.

Oh, and they're full MIDI controllers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

25197.gif?v=1

[entirely off topic]
    Which then really multiplies the question:

Why don't you just do the real thing?

Unlike street fighter, in which the real thing would involve broken bones!
    It's a totally different challenge. If you really wanted to, you could take up boxing. Also I do the real thing, playing guitar 7 years now (granted I'm better at plastic ones) and I've become a pretty decent drummer from my Rock Band playing.

Oh, I've been thinking about modding my Rock Band 1 guitar into a fight stick. It could be pretty cool :P

[/entirely off topic]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Yeah I'm one of those people who just doesn't get the hype about those games. I tell yea they made such a killing. "hit the colours at the right time" must have taken a weekend to code and cost a tenner. And they make billions from it.

I generally don't get the obsession people have and I initially assumed it was just people who couldnt play music in RL getting to live a fantasy, but I quickly realised even good musicians love the games.

Meh whatever turns 'em on a suppose. Just not my think I guess.

A-Trak wrote: »
    I told ya Terry, you should insist that everyone addresses as Dr Top Tier.
    "He always carries the one."

hahahhaa, thats it, next time I'm editing an interview vid I'm asking you for funny comments to add by peoples names.:pac:

I demand animax be changed to Dr Top Tier :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Sisko wrote: »
    "hit the colours at the right time" must have taken a weekend to code and cost a tenner. And they make billions from it.

It's not quite that simple. The reason I prefer Rock Band to Guitar Hero, is the skill in their note tracking: basically where they put the colours and when.

Guitar Hero kinda feels like you're flailing on buttons, whereas with Rock Band you could be fooled into thinking you were actually playing the song. Looking into the company details, the Guitar Hero guys made Tony Hawk primarily but the Rock Band guys are largely musicians who are in some bands (some of their songs are available as DLC).

At the highest levels of difficulty in Guitar Hero they add more presses that aren't actually represented by notes in the song, they're just there to make it harder, but at the highest level in Rock Band, you're pressing all the notes as if you were playing the song, but they might make it scroll faster for extra difficulty.

So personally I prefer the Rock Band games since they do "hit the colours at the right time" as opposed to Guitar Hero's "hit a bloody lot of them". I'm sure it took longer than a weekend to code too.

I doubt they were finished until at least Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

And in all this "Rock Band vs Guitar Hero" gruff, they forgot the originator.

*sniff*
    Don't worry Konami, the Western media are just pigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

It's not quite that simple. The reason I prefer Rock Band to Guitar Hero, is the skill in their note tracking: basically where they put the colours and when.

Guitar Hero kinda feels like you're flailing on buttons, whereas with Rock Band you could be fooled into thinking you were actually playing the song. Looking into the company details, the Guitar Hero guys made Tony Hawk primarily but the Rock Band guys are largely musicians who are in some bands (some of their songs are available as DLC).

At the highest levels of difficulty in Guitar Hero they add more presses that aren't actually represented by notes in the song, they're just there to make it harder, but at the highest level in Rock Band, you're pressing all the notes as if you were playing the song, but they might make it scroll faster for extra difficulty.

So personally I prefer the Rock Band games since they do "hit the colours at the right time" as opposed to Guitar Hero's "hit a bloody lot of them". I'm sure it took longer than a weekend to code too.

I doubt they were finished until at least Tuesday.

in comparison to street fighter coding, rockband/guitar hero are like 'simon says'.

easy algorithm

if((button==green)&&(timing<6ms))
    {
    score++;
    }
    else
    {
    playStreetfighter();
    }

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Placebo wrote: »
    **SF coding**

In fairness SF collision detection and such is still really freakin' basic, an intersection test between a couple huge-arse rectangles, frankly the hardest part is deciding how to retrieve the correct boxes for the test.

if (simsDanglyArmsBox.Intersects(giefsFatArseBox))
    gief.getHit(simsHP.damage);

They've probably also been re-using the exact same algorithm since SF2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Tried this. Doesn't compile :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

In fairness SF collision detection and such is still really freakin' basic, an intersection test between a couple huge-arse rectangles, frankly the hardest part is deciding how to retrieve the correct boxes for the test.

They've probably also been re-using the exact same algorithm since SF2.

focus attacks?
    focus dash cancel attacks?
    but mostly different 3d angles after each move/ultra

3s
    parries/red parries

Thats just its and bits, MAKING THE WHOLE GAME balanced, i.e speed/attack/chip, super moves designed so some characters have advantage over them etc etc [VERY VERY BASIC example, chunli's ultra 1]

None of those things should have taken much code at all. Balance takes plenty of time and effort, but that's a whole 'nother ball game isn't it?

What are we supposed to be arguing here anyway? Since I didn't mention any of those things in my post I assume the argument is that SF4 has a lot of work in it or something? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Lads who cares how hard a game is to code. Rock Band is fun and thats all that matters

Not me, I'm just responding to the sudden "OMG NO WAY SF4 WAS THE MOST HARD WORK AND **** LIKE EVER!" vibe I'm getting there. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    And in all this "Rock Band vs Guitar Hero" gruff, they forgot the originator.

*sniff*
    Don't worry Konami, the Western media are just pigs.

I'm actually a huge rhythm game fan in general.

Previous to Rock Band I had played DDR, Taiko no Tatsujin, Donkey Konga, Elite Beat Agents, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan, Bust a groove and Parappa the Rapper. None of them has 4 player co-operative multiplayer (well except DK) so they're not busted out as often.
    Placebo wrote: »
    in comparison to street fighter coding, rockband/guitar hero are like 'simon says'.

I fail to see how this is relevant to anything...

wtf are people actually trying to say rockband and the likes were harder games to develop than street fighter?

What the hell people? Look if you like the game you like the game, I was just making a joke. Obviously it didnt take a weekend I'm just stating my wonderment as a person not into said games... how a game as sophisticated as a mere browser based flash game , but costs feckin 70 euro or whatever is raking in millions and prob cost feck all to make unlike most other 'blockbuster games'. The rights to use certian songs would have cost more then the development.

Jaysus lets not go crazy now and start talking about SFIV using the same code as SF2 and stuff :confused:

Anyway I didnt even know rock band and guitar hero were different companies , I thought it was the same guys. :P

lol

wtf are people actually trying to say rockband and the likes were harder games to develop than street fighter?

This was not stated at any point. Some guys already made an open-source GH/RB game in their spare time, YEARS ago.
    Jaysus lets not go crazy now and start talking about SFIV using the same code as SF2 and stuff :confused:

Capcoms re-use of just about everything has been a running gag since about the time hyper fighter came out.
    I thought it was the same guys.

The guys that make RB made the first 2 GH games before someone else somehow ended up with the rights to the series.

The more you know.

Also, serious police. :pac:

• Advertisement

Argh why are you even defending it, I'm not attacking it :confused:

I never even compared it to street fighter. And my hole SF2's code was used for SF4, that's insane. I'm not even arsed going into how off the wall that is. :confused:

I was just saying , its gas to see such a basic thing be loved by so many and make so much money. I don't really understand why people love it so much as again its just pressing the buttons at the right time but millions do so whatever, fair play to 'em enjoy. I get the karaoke aspect of rock band though.

Advertisement