Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Street Fighter 4 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Capcom Vs. Valve? Twould be pretty awesome :P

CHUN LI and RYU V.S. HEADCRAB ZOMBIE and CHELL

ban request :pac:

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

You'd miss me too much Farz, you'd die without me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

http://shoryuken.com/content/ono-tweets-preview-sakura-s-new-alternate-outfit-1700/

Not liking Sakura's new costume to be honest.

As for Cammy, you can just about make out cat ears and a tail.

EDIT: Juri's new alt: http://p.twipple.jp/RUHDw

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

At least Sakura's wearing NORMAL clothes for once.

Also, Juri bringing that sexy back.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

Whats with the blurring of Cammy and Juri, its not like people are dying to see them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

New costumes revealed.

Cat-woman Cammy
    09_concept01.jpg

Street thug Ryu
    09_concept04.jpg

Ass Alpha Chun
    09_concept02.jpg

MISS Juri
    09_concept03.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

EDIT: Kiki's too fast for me!

I dont know why they bothered distorting Cammy's one. They'd shown that off before.
    08_newalts.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

....Bahamut Blanka?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Fei Long's new one looks good

04_feilongcostume.jpg

I can't believe it took this long to get Chun's Alpha outfit in. I expected it to the her first alt in vanilla SF4.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Creature wrote: »
    I can't believe it took this long to get Chun's Alpha outfit in. I expected it to the her first alt in vanilla SF4.
    And before anyone says it, her Alt 2 colour 10 doesn't count.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Finally, Ryu costume that isn't basically the same as his original one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Are all the cast getting a new alt?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Everyone except Honda. Cause nobody likes Honda.

Orim wrote: »
    Everyone except Honda. Cause nobody likes Honda.

except gay folk. they love'em

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Placebo wrote: »
    except gay folk. they love'em

They sure do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Jaysus lads. This game ain't easy >.<

Brain. Overload.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Just wait till you get to OS a frame trap off a tickthrow safe jump setup.

God I love jargon.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Hotaru wrote: »
    Jaysus lads. This game ain't easy >.<

Brain. Overload.

What can we do to help? Anything in particular?

If you're new to Fighting games, it takes a wee while to get your reaction speed anything near what you need. But you'll get there.

God I love jargon.

I know what tick throw means. The rest of that might aswell have been in Arabic or something >_< :p
    What can we do to help? Anything in particular?

If you're new to Fighting games, it takes a wee while to get your reaction speed anything near what you need. But you'll get there.

I haven't touched a console (bar Rock Band) since I was about 14 so yes, I'm new to Fighting Games :p

I'm getting all of Chun Li's moves down but putting them into practice is another story altogether >_< Reaction timing is definitely a problem - my brain decides what to do but by the time it's sent the message to my fingers, it's too late :/

So much to learn though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

This is the beginners bible, and dont let anyone tell you other wise!!

3327578691_3eb871eb05.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

If your new to fighting games, your really better off starting with Ryu or Ken as they are beginner friendly to get the foundations before you move onto a charge character like Chun.

Not telling you to do that, just the recommended route, play as a Character you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

God I love jargon.

Pffft, you can't do any of that Dan ;)

If your new to fighting games, your really better off starting with Ryu or Ken as they are beginner friendly to get the foundations before you move onto a charge character like Chun.

Not telling you to do that, just the recommended route, play as a Character you like.

I played Ryu this one time.

Chun Li is my bítch now :D

>_<

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

I'd agree with Misty in that if you are new to fighting games playing Ryu, not as a main but just to get your ground, is highly recommended. It's totally fine either way but in every SF game Ryu is always very solid and has everything in spades! He has something for all situations and by using him to get going you really get the aspects and fundamentals down. No biggie though

It's just about taking it in steps

Learn your character, an ideal place to start to keep comfortable and which is the pathway towards mid-high level play is to (in my opinion), learn your characters staple BnBs (bread 'n' butter combos), make sure you get them down 90%+. Most are quite simple and will have you exploring combo structure and what makes them work etc. They are vital for punishing and dealing damage

Learn your anti-airs (AAs) ; basically what stops people from jumping at you, whatever it may be. I'm not sure of Chun's moveset in SFIV so I cannot specifically give example, I'm sure her st.Roundshouse is an excellent AA

Mess around with your normals : See what moves can be cancelled/linked to whatever (ties in with the BnB and combos etc). See what moves make good pokes, explore the ranges etc. Playing footsies is what you will be doing most of the time, so find out your optimal range to be at and what you can use at what distances.

I think this is a nice place to start. This is probably the best advice I can give without making it too complicated :)

I played Ryu this one time.

Chun Li is my bítch now :D

>_<

i would advise against chun.
    She could be easier than ken and ryu as you can just use NORMAL moves [i.e a simple Hard punch] But her ultra setup's might be slightly harder in some cases than others, specially ultra 1 that wiffs most of the time. She doesnt have any combos, or easy combos. She not very robust at breaking FOCUS attacks either.

all in all, chunli, you wasted my past year.
    Ive moved on

I know what tick throw means. The rest of that might aswell have been in Arabic or something >_< :p

I haven't touched a console (bar Rock Band) since I was about 14 so yes, I'm new to Fighting Games :p

I'm getting all of Chun Li's moves down but putting them into practice is another story altogether >_< Reaction timing is definitely a problem - my brain decides what to do but by the time it's sent the message to my fingers, it's too late :/

So much to learn though!

Well, a few things to consider.

1) Charge characters are difficult for new users. If you were playing Ryu or Ken, you can mash out specials anytime. With Chun you need that charge.

This is initially a pain in the ass but it'll make you better at planning long term (you'll get into the habit of charging all the time when you jump or get knocked down, etc.)

2) Practice those specials til they become muscle memory. I don't think "down up kick" I think FLASH KICK! and the hands just do it.

3) Start thinking about what players do and what you should do.

If I see someone walking towards me as Chun, and I decide to poke, I alternate between crouchiing hard kick, crouching medium punch and Hazan shu (half circle back and kick).

The hard kick will hit low, and needs to be blocked low. The hazan shu hits high and cannot be blocked low. So I force them to guess.

But the important thing is I have things I know I can do in this specific situation.

If I see someone jumping, I know an ex spinning Bird Kick is a good choice. If I don't have charge or EX, I know there's a couple of moves at different ranges I can do (standing hard punch, down forward light kick) which are really good to knock people out of the air.

It's all about learning the right thing to do at the right time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Here's the best way to get good: whatever d4rk onion tells you to do, do the opposite ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

animaX wrote: »
    Here's the best way to get good: eat bananas

AMIRITE

Well, a few things to consider.

1) Charge characters are difficult for new users. If you were playing Ryu or Ken, you can mash out specials anytime. With Chun you need that charge.

This is initially a pain in the ass but it'll make you better at planning long term (you'll get into the habit of charging all the time when you jump or get knocked down, etc.)

2) Practice those specials til they become muscle memory. I don't think "down up kick" I think FLASH KICK! and the hands just do it.

3) Start thinking about what players do and what you should do.

If I see someone walking towards me as Chun, and I decide to poke, I alternate between crouchiing hard kick, crouching medium punch and Hazan shu (half circle back and kick).

The hard kick will hit low, and needs to be blocked low. The hazan shu hits high and cannot be blocked low. So I force them to guess.

But the important thing is I have things I know I can do in this specific situation.

If I see someone jumping, I know an ex spinning Bird Kick is a good choice. If I don't have charge or EX, I know there's a couple of moves at different ranges I can do (standing hard punch, down forward light kick) which are really good to knock people out of the air.

Just takes awhile to get used to all this stuff :p I understand the charge character thing, I don't find it to bad tbh - I guess I'm not used to anything else anyway.

Sure I'm still learning what people even do in the game and how I should react to that >.<

But hey, I'm having fun (eh, mostly...) so far anyway :D
    animaX wrote: »
    Here's the best way to get good: whatever d4rk onion tells you to do, do the opposite ;)

I hear that's a good strategy alright :p

• Advertisement

Look guys! I was talking about anti-air and I didn't mention the air thro....

... never mind.

Advertisement