Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Street Fighter 4 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Bush80 wrote: »
    What difference do these new backdashes make?

If you're airborne, you can be air thrown.

EDIT: And conversely a ground throw wont work.

I recall if you get hit when airborne there's an automatic 10% damage scaling but I can't find it anywhere to be sure.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I think it was more they are correcting a mistake that some characters where not airborne on the first frame they no longer had invincibility.

Currently a few characters have 1 frame where they are grounded before they are in an airborne state. If hit during that 1 grounded frame by say most likely a jump in they can be comboed where as the characters that don't have this 1 grounded frame are airborne and will merely be reset and avoid being combo-ed.

What Doom is said is technically correct about the throws but its not a change that will make a practical difference to anyone's game plan.

There is no damage scaling applied to airborne characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭The Hound

I've been air thrown from a backdash more than once. Looks crazy

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I've seen replays of it happening but its never actually happened to me.

The Hound wrote: »
    I've been air thrown from a backdash more than once. Looks crazy

Yup, it's doable.

Especially as someone will go for the odd super late air throw to grab a character out of a blanka ball/ headbutt. It does happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Yup, it's doable.

Especially as someone will go for the odd super late air throw to grab a character out of a blanka ball/ headbutt. It does happen

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

gettin the new costumes, well excited

chun and cammy

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

never been thrown out of backdash?

I'll make sure to record it, the next time I perform it....

Almost daily, I've certainly thrown Guile's backdash!

Ken B wrote: »
    never been thrown out of backdash?

I'll make sure to record it, the next time I perform it....

Almost daily, I've certainly thrown Guile's backdash!

?

Guile breaking his back charge?

Fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Word on the street is that the AE content will be released as DLC in May:

http://cardinalperception.com/mb/showthread.php?t=17&p=2469&viewfull=1#post2469

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Yreval wrote: »
    Word on the street is that the AE content will be released as DLC in May:

http://cardinalperception.com/mb/showthread.php?t=17&p=2469&viewfull=1#post2469

That fits in perfectly with my theory that the DLC for SSFIV would only come out at least 3 months after the release of MvC3. ( Seeing we now know that MvC3 is coming out in February )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

BLANKA

[Unique Attacks]
    His recovery on Rock Crush (f+MP) has been decreased.
    As a result, a combo such as Rock Crush -> far s.LP -> roll turned out to be possible.
    His active frame on Amazon River (df+HP) has been reduced, and consequently the total frames have been cut down as well.
    Also, his hurtbox during recovery has been increased.
    Surprise Forward has slightly increased grounded frames in the beginning, and therefore it is easier to be grabbed.

[Specials]
    His hurtbox on Rolling Attack has been widened in size while rolling around, and his distance traveled after having it blocked has been altered. The difference of distance traveled between each strength of Rolling Attack can be ordered into LP, EX>MP>HP, so it is necessary to further distinguishing them compared to now.
    EX Backstep Rolling's forward distance has been reduced a little, so it would be harder to escape from the corner.
    However, it is still possible to move forward and back based on the directional input.
    EX Electricity has much faster start-up now, so it is easier to utilize them.

ABEL
    Normals
    - Crouch hp: 2nd hit attack box is smaller above and below
    Specials
    - Tornado throw: lower damage
    - Marseille rolling: no more hit invincibility at the end of it, making it easier to get countered. recovery time not affected.
    Ultras
    - Muga damage down by about 10%
    - Mukuu damage is also down by about 10%, and the start of the attack detection is a little later. Plus, no more hyper armor during the dash, and the recovery time for when you miss and cancelling is longer
    Overall
    - With marseille rolling and ultra combos weakened, more caution will be required with him. However most of his weakening adjustments are about damage, so he should be able to keep the pressure on like in SSF4

GEN

[Mantis]
    Two TCs have been added in.
    TC1 is c.LK xx c.MK
    TC2 is s.HP 1st hit xx s.MK
    s.LP's hurtbox during active frames have been resized, so it's harder to get hit out of.
    c.MP's start-up became faster, so it's possible to link from s.LP and c.LP.
    s.HK range improved a bit.
    U2 hitbox improved downward, so less chance to whiff (lolz)

[Crane]
    U2's travelling speed is faster.

[Others]
    During backdash, he's airborne right after invincibility wears out

[Overall]
    Blah blah.
    Consequently, there is absolutely zero nerf to him.

MAKOTO

Normals
    -cr.LK has more range
    -st.LK is now kara-cancellable
    -cr.HK attack box extended, and the damage box has been lowered slightly, making it easier to use as an anti-air
    -cr.HP has slightly more active frames
    -F+LP has a 3 frame startup (formerly 4 frames)

Specials
    -EX Hayate is now armor-break, has a slightly faster startup
    -Fukiage, when the arm is fully extended, the hittable box from her chest up is now barely there, while the attack box is extended, so there are now almost no cases where it trades or is stuffed. It still can't hit grounded opponents however. The start up for all versions have been revised (I'd assume to be faster)
    -EX Tsurugi is now similar to EX Cannon Strike in what height the technique can be executed (instant EX Tsurugi?)
    -UC1 damage distribution has been change. It still does the same total damage, but because of the change, will do more when the scale kicks in.
    -UC2 has a faster startup

Other
    -1000 Health
    -Forward and back dash are faster. Because of this, now HP Hayate FADC cr.LK (and other normals) LP Hayate now combos. This vastly improves her mix-up game (throw or attack?)

Makoto got some sweet fixes. Increased health, faster dash, HK can be used as an AA, Fukiage trades less, EX Hayate with Armour Break... sweetness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Sairus wrote: »
    Makoto got some sweet fixes. Increased health, faster dash, HK can be used as an AA, Fukiage trades less, EX Hayate with Armour Break... sweetness.

Just needs that cowgirl outfit and it's all good (stupid Brokeback Ken).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Sairus wrote: »
    BLANKA
    His active frame on Amazon River (df+HP) has been reduced, and consequently the total frames have been cut down as well.

I'm not sure I understand the implications of this, can someone clarify please? Has the distance been reduced?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

No just the length of time it stays active for

For example you can do early slide on a far jumping opponent, and catch them with relative ease when they are landing. This will change and the timing will become more strict.

PS I hate Capcom and their pandering to the uneducated whining masses :(

Dunjohn wrote: »
    I'm not sure I understand the implications of this, can someone clarify please? Has the distance been reduced?
    The active frames are the frames when the slide can actually hit the opponent. By shortening it the attack is now faster, but it has a smaller time window to deal damage. It still goes the same distance.

EDIT: What Sagat said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I can barely understand those translations but it looks like blanka got nothing but nerfs besides a new combo.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

This just in, Makoto now viable! Looking forward to getting stuck into those changes. 1000 health in particular is awesome, as is the better fukiage and sweep. FASTER U2 start-up means fireballs will be easier to punish. And instant EX.Turgi? that's going to be deadly :D

So happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

So basically, save one or two things, Blanka got nerfed?

GOOD.

As for Makoto, she got all the buffs she deserved but its going to make fighting Dark Onion harder when the update comes to consoles!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

But will she ever be able to combo INTO Ultra 2?

So basically, save one or two things, Blanka got nerfed?

GOOD.

FU Misty

Pompey

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    But will she ever be able to combo INTO Ultra 2?

U1 > I want to combo into it!

U2 > I want to punish fireballs/have a get out of pressure free card.

If you could combo into U2, U1 would be pointless (almost, you can't beat shouting SEICHUZEN GODANZUKI!). As it stands, it's a nice balance. Otherwise you end up with the likes of Ryu, who only ever chooses one Ultra.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

True Dat Dawg.

Can't argue with some actual balance in ultra selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

those changes are ages away, i wish they just didnt announce them.
    Just the fact if you're picking up a new character say makoto, its gonna be half pointless. Or even blanka [lol bush] :pac:

Placebo wrote: »
    Or even blanka [lol bush] :pac:

FU

Placebo wrote: »
    those changes are ages away, i wish they just didnt announce them.
    Just the fact if you're picking up a new character say makoto, its gonna be half pointless. Or even blanka [lol bush] :pac:

I already play Makoto, so I'm considering these changes the same way you consider Chun's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭J.I.M.

Glad to see that Gen wasn't nerfed in any way, but the buffs don't seem all that amazing. Why won't Capcom give his EX Oga invincibility back?! He still won't be as good as he was in Vanilla (which wasn't much, either).

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Generic_name01

Why is it that the mid tier characters are getting messed with the most? All the blanka nerfs are purely because online whiners cant deal with him. Dont get me wrong, I hate blanka but I think the only justified nerf was amazon river. AE edition shouldnt be doing any major nerfs since all complaints would be from primarily online only players. AE should have just buffed the weak like makoto etc and leave any big nerfs for later. Its only the characters that give the online players headaches that are getting nerfed!...

The only positive from this is that surely that means their going to smack guile with the nerf stick. :D

Ugh dreading to see what happens gief next week. Fearing they will make his U1 like honda's U2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

I think the only justified nerf was amazon river.

I dont even agree with this, its a silly move (that I use waayyy too much) that is so easy to punish its crazy.

And from what I'm taking from the explanation, having shorter active hit frames and shorter overall active frames isnt decreasing its recovery frames so it will still be as easy to punish.

Advertisement