Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Street Fighter 4 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Even if they're just boss characters this is pretty lame.

I've always thought the Ryu/Darkside plotline was weak.

well from the start there was this whole concept of RYU/KEN being captured by bison and being morphed/turned into an eviler version

so we have ryu turning into blanka [what?]
    then there was violent ken?
    i think evil ryu is more to do with being taken over by dark hadou like akuma or some ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

As opposed to the girl who entered the tournament to find a boyfriend, or the guy who broke out of prison to fight because he was bored, or the guy looking for roses like? :P Street Fighter's story is shamed by the competition right now (that being Blaz Blue, which is actually kinda cool and all about time travel and stuff).

Although personally I always preferred the "Bison's a troll and everyone wants to kill him" storyline.

Yeah Blazblue's story is awesome.

I mean within the Street Fighter story, I thought the concept of Ryu turning to the darkside was always lame. That's the central plot of the Alpha movie and it was lame as all hell.

Ryu's about training and getting stronger.

The 2 main plotlines of SF do seem to be that everyone either wants to find Ryu or Kill Bison.
    Placebo wrote: »
    well from the start there was this whole concept of RYU/KEN being captured by bison and being morphed/turned into an eviler version

By "start" you mean the SF2 animated movie, which was awesome and certainly not the start.

Ken being made evil through a Bison psycho machine was a cool plotline, because it was essentially supervillian magic brianwashing Ken had to overcome.

The plot behind Evil Ryu is that he's basically gotten so good at fighting, the only place left to go is to become superevil. That's kind of my problem.

I don't know if anyone saw the Ties that Bind, but it focused a lot on this too, and sucked as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

I don't know if anyone saw the Ties that Bind, but it focused a lot on this too, and sucked as a result.
    That was just one of many reasons Ties That Bind sucked.

Sairus wrote: »
    That was just one of many reasons Ties That Bind sucked.

C.Viper copping a feel on Cammy was probably the only part of that whole movie that wasn't terrible :D

well back then the internet wasnt available and forget wikipedia all together. So to me that was the story. And before that it was the arcades, where when you nearly killed ruy, he would turn into blanka [or blanka would appear]. I didnt read up on it

5887d1206822614-street-fighter-2-review-snes-sf-cover.jpg&t=1

• Advertisement

Placebo wrote: »
    i didn't do any research so i feel entitled to being wrong

Fair enough Farz :D

forgive my ignorance, i only picked up street fighter recently , when ssf4 was released. I will research the topic throughly next time before getting into a serious debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

The whole OMG evil Ryu thing might not be terribly original or anything but its not quite as silly as him suddenly becoming bad for no reason.

I'd type up a detailed explanation but I'm at work. :pac:

Maybe a lunchtime edit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Wow, I didn't even know Shin Akuma was in Super. Yeah, I haven't really bothered with the achievements for that game.

And I almost just called it Super Vanilla. Damn you, DLC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Not exactly original but its highly unlikely these Evil Ryu and Shin/ what the hell they going to call it Akuma are going to be playable. ( and even if there were, they'll be banned in tournaments, unless they had ridiculously low health in playable form and even that is a strech )

There was nothing wrong with Shin Akuma and Shin Gouken, though so this move kind of baffles me a little.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

The whole OMG evil Ryu thing might not be terribly original or anything but its not quite as silly as him suddenly becoming bad for no reason.

I'd type up a detailed explanation but I'm at work. :pac:

Maybe a lunchtime edit.

I think I've noticed the same thing.

I think Ryu is on his way to corruption in sf4/ SSF4. He's the only good guy with a "metsu" ultra. Historically, Ryu has fallen to the dark hadou once before only (when he metsu shoryu'd Sagat, giving him his scar). He is weak to the dark hadou when he's desperate to win (and Ultra is be definition a desperation move). Also, it's the dirty purple colour of Akuma's fireballs, he's the only "good" shoto with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

I think I've noticed the same thing.

I think Ryu is on his way to corruption in sf4/ SSF4. He's the only good guy with a "metsu" ultra. Historically, Ryu has fallen to the dark hadou once before only (when he metsu shoryu'd Sagat, giving him his scar). He is weak to the dark hadou when he's desperate to win (and Ultra is be definition a desperation move). Also, it's the dirty purple colour of Akuma's fireballs, he's the only "good" shoto with that.

Sorry but doesn't Gouken seal this evil energy away within Ryu ( so that it no longer a threat to him ) in his ending in vanilla SF4?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

:pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Sorry but doesn't Gouken seal this evil energy away within Ryu ( so that it no longer a threat to him ) in his ending in vanilla SF4?

If he was successsful, then Ryu wouldn't be able to do a metsu hadoken in SSF4.

Anyway, I don't think there's a canon ending for SF4 yet.

Or are they all canon?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EVIL RYU AND SHINONI AKUMA!!!!!
    YUSSSSSSSSSSSS

Thank you capcom. I hope they are playable. :D

I was worried we were gonna get more schoolgirls...

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

Doyler01 wrote: »
    YUSSSSSSSSSSSS

Christ Doyler,
    I would've taken a couple of schoolboys and their priest master over these two...........

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Generic_name01

A priest that lobs choirboys at you would be pretty cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Doyler01 wrote: »
    YUSSSSSSSSSSSS

No Karin needs to be in. There's only like 3 schoolgirls

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

Bollox. There's no need for another shoto in this game unless they're like gouken (I love the way he twists every shoto move around a bit).

I dont think the game has too many shotos. Especially since they all have different playstyles.

Evil Ryu + Shin Akuma are probably just going to be boss characters anyway. Evil Ryu was a balanced character in A2 as far as I know, crazy glitched CC but low health and stun, but I dont think theres ever been a balanced version of Shin Akuma.

Cant wait to hear the remix of this:

And while they're at it fix Akuma's theme, none of the recycled Ryu theme BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭The Hound

They're idiots if they make Evil Ryu a playable character even if hes balanced somehow. We just dont need another Ryu. Would be fine if he was in versus mode or an unlockable/boss character. And I doubt there'll be Shin akuma as playable, Having him as a boss character is fine same goes for Shin Gouken or w/e his name is

• Advertisement

Or are they all canon?

I thought they were all canon?

Pretty much just because C.Viper mentioned how many Seth models there were, and if you count them up there's enough for every character to fight one (in Vanilla), plus the playable Seth.
    The Hounds wrote:
    They're idiots if they make Evil Ryu a playable character...
    Would be fine if he was in versus mode

Do you mean he should only be playable in offline versus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

I think its safe to say SSF4 replaced SF4 as far as continuity is concerned [considering Gouken and Akuma were supposed to fight to the death "winner claims "the boy"" ] and that's mysteriously not followed up on despite SSF4 taking place a year after SF4.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭The Hound

I thought they were all canon?

Pretty much just because C.Viper mentioned how many Seth models there were, and if you count them up there's enough for every character to fight one (in Vanilla), plus the playable Seth.

Do you mean he should only be playable in offline versus?
    Yes offline versus would be fine as long as hes not in the arcade version. So I guess only versus on console. Maybe Evil Ryu, Shin Akuma and Shin Gouken would be fine like that and give the game an extra edge like that. There would be no probs like that

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    I think its safe to say SSF4 replaced SF4 as far as continuity is concerned [considering Gouken and Akuma were supposed to fight to the death "winner claims "the boy"" ] and that's mysteriously not followed up on despite SSF4 taking place a year after SF4.

I know I heard that somewhere, but if you actually watch all the plot sequences in arcade mode, the beginning and ending sequences in SSF4 take place around the same time as the beginning and ending sequences in SF4.

For example:

Balrog SF4 opening: Dude finds Balrog and tells him Bison has summoned him
    Balrog SSF4 opening: Balrog being driven to Bison by dude

Balrog SF4 ending: Balrog trashes lab, finds kid, takes kid
    Balrog SSF4 ending: Balrog walking away from lab with kid, complains about lack of fight money

The one year later thing doesn't seem to be true at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

I've only finished Arcade mode with like 4 characters, and I was bored with no internet connection.

What can I say?

I'm a plot whore.

Even if the plot is as terrible as it is in Street Fighter :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You want terrible plot, I give you Virtua Fighter.
    • Akira is your standard "I wanna be the best" Japanese guy.
    • Pai Chan hates her dad, and is a Hong Kong movie actress.
    • Lau Chan is a chef who just let his wife die. Also he's got some mysterious disease.
    • Wolf is a Canadian Indian (?) who keeps thinking the world's about to end.
    • Jeffry needs money to hunt a "Devil Shark".
    • Kage is a ninja whose mother is (was?) Dural. Or something.
    • Sarah is/was brainwashed and keeps wanting to kill her brother.
    • Jacky is Sarah's brother, and fights some stupid organisation called J6.
    • Shun Di MIGHT have a student trapped by J6, but we never see anything happen there.
    • Aoi just enters randomly. I'm pretty sure she just wants cock.
    • Lei-Fei has a hard-on... for killing Lau.
    • Vanessa was a J6 captive, and now she's a bodyguard for Sarah. And then she was captured and turned into a Dural. Or not.
    • Brad Burns is a womanizing dickhead. He's also Italian despite the name. Most likely to bag Aoi (ahead of Akira).
    • Goh is a failure of an assassin.
    • Taka-Arashi is a fat sumo wrestler. This is totally original.
    • Dural is a metal bitch.
    • Eileen is a 14yr old girl who LOVES Pai. We're still trying to figure out just what kind of love this is. And if it's legal to film.
    • El Blaze IS Rey Mysterio.
    • Jean Kujo is an actual Karate fighter. Which is actually harder to find than you would believe. Wants to kill Goh.

Did I mention that Virtua Fighter doesn't actually have a "Story" mode, and that the stories are written purely based on results from Tougeki (SBO)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ear

right i bought this and sold it the next week. i was so bad at it, souldnt win!
    is it a very hard game?
    i had the anniversary edt. and wasnt as hard couldt clear no.3 that easy at all. maybe if there was 10 people to beat i used get as far as 8!
    is this normal ? is it a game taht you have to send a few hours a day at for a week to become good at it?!
    i may purchase again!
    im drunk ! that is all!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,995 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Play against people instead of Arcade Mode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

• Jacky is Sarah's brother, and fights some stupid organisation called J6.

Interesting.

Advertisement