Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Street Fighter 4 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Paralels popping up between Oni Akuma and Onimushas- er- oni.

79.jpg

Pretty sure that's deliberate, he is supposed to be a demon.

cine01_Onimusha.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Yep, that's the idea

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oni_(folklore)

Onimusha ftw :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Hmm, my knowledge of Japanese is admittedly limited, but I know "hello" is "mushi mushi." So Onimusha means "Hello Demon?"

kitty.png

Well I've just learned something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Dunjohn wrote: »
    So Onimusha means "Hello Demon?"

Not quite, but a lulsome thought nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

As much as I hate that they added these two guys in, Oni actually looks sort of cool.
    He seems to have a ridiculous amount of fireball options.
    It looks like he can fire metsu hadoukens for multiple hits, or charge up one handed hadoukens like Gouken which disappear at full screen if not charged (not sure what they do fully charged). He can also do a horizontal or a vertical ultra hadouken and he can do a diagonal one in the air.
    Also, in the final vid down here it looks like he uses an EX Slash to hit Evil Ryu from behind?!

EDIT: Also, here's Evil Ryu and Oni's endings - this time with subtitles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

While I am irked that they're just shotos, I suppose I am happy that we're getting two more new characters to play as. Keep 'em coming, Capcom!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I wish people would stop abusing the "OMG more shotos!" line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

OMG more shotos!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭SirAuronDX

Shin Bison plz

while we're at it give me Slightly Pissed Off Hakan and you could make his skin red and look like hes covered in some substance of energy li- oh wait.

edit: lol at videos all being copyright claimed by capcom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

SirAuronDX wrote: »
    lol at videos all being copyright claimed by capcom

Ive heard Evil Ryu and Oni weren't meant to be unlocked yet, but seriously, its too late now Capcom :rolleyes:

Yeah this is getting REALLY interesting.

Looks like the unlock wasn't planned by capcom. Oni and Evil Ryu (it is reckoned) were supposed to be released after MvC3's release.

In light of this, Capcom DMCA'd all footage of the two characters on youtube and there's rumours circulating they've asked arcades to revert.

Now this is turning into a PR disaster as DMCAing a video on youtube is like acquiring a temporary ban here- too much of them and your accounts gone.

AI is currently unable to upload any new AE footage out of fear of this happening and some high profile YT accounts such as pikachuakuma have been closed.

This is really bad for capcom. Even us, bottle of the barrel as international SF goes, have proivided them with endless hours of promotional material which is watched every day by people simply searching for "super street fighter 4 character name x". I know cos I can see the reporting.

Clearly Capcom kneejerk reacted in this and probably did not realise YT would delete the accounts of those who had 3 oni/ Evil Ryu vids automatically. But it still leaves a bad taste and I would say a bit of fear in alot of peoples mouths. And SF REALLY relies on these things (we'd probably none of us be here if not for the Daigo full parry, I know people who never even played 3S but know that video).

The other alternative is this is an incredibly masterful troll by Capcom teasing us with the two new characters. Whatever about them, they do both look like alot of fun and if I was a casual Ryu player I reckon I'd love Evil ryu. Teasing people with their presence will prob make them want to get them more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Yeah this is getting REALLY interesting.

Looks like the unlock wasn't planned by capcom. Oni and Evil Ryu (it is reckoned) were supposed to be released after MvC3's release.

In light of this, Capcom DMCA'd all footage of the two characters on youtube and there's rumours circulating they've asked arcades to revert.

Now this is turning into a PR disaster as DMCAing a video on youtube is like acquiring a temporary ban here- too much of them and your accounts gone.

AI is currently unable to upload any new AE footage out of fear of this happening and some high profile YT accounts such as pikachuakuma have been closed.

This is really bad for capcom. Even us, bottle of the barrel as international SF goes, have proivided them with endless hours of promotional material which is watched every day by people simply searching for "super street fighter 4 character name x". I know cos I can see the reporting.

Clearly Capcom kneejerk reacted in this and probably did not realise YT would delete the accounts of those who had 3 oni/ Evil Ryu vids automatically. But it still leaves a bad taste and I would say a bit of fear in alot of peoples mouths. And SF REALLY relies on these things (we'd probably none of us be here if not for the Daigo full parry, I know people who never even played 3S but know that video).

The other alternative is this is an incredibly masterful troll by Capcom teasing us with the two new characters. Whatever about them, they do both look like alot of fun and if I was a casual Ryu player I reckon I'd love Evil ryu. Teasing people with their presence will prob make them want to get them more.

well said. I back capcom 100% on this. You've already said everything. While this was cool and all i much preferred an original release trailer when it was due/.

I heard that to, and only as non playable bosses at that point, according to Fubarduck (owner of Arcade UFO) it was exactly the same for Akuma and Gouken in Vanilla

1) Game gets released, no sign of Akuma
    2) 6 weeks later, operators get a code for Akuma as a hidden boss, but not playable.
    3) 6 weeks later, operators get a code for Akuma as a playable character.
    4) 6 weeks later, operators get a code for Gouken as a hidden boss, but not playable.

And so on.

Yea, cause DMCA's worked so well for Tom Cruise's Loony arse when his Scientology video hit Youtube, didnt it Capcom :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

The other alternative is this is an incredibly masterful troll by Capcom teasing us with the two new characters.

I thought the ADDITION of these characters was the troll? :pac:

J0hnick wrote: »
    Yea, cause DMCA's worked so well for Tom Cruise's Loony arse when his Scientology video hit Youtube, didnt it Capcom :rolleyes:

To be fair the only reason Youtube can operate at all safely is because of the presence of DMCA.

Fair use policy doesn't cover straight up game play footage and it certainly doesn't cover footage that the copyright owner doesn't want released to the public.

Capcom have done nothing LEGALLY wrong, and as I've spent some time looking into this stuff for my own sake, I can guess what happened here.

Capcom in all likelihood simply followed the proceedure to file a take down notice, unaware what they're actually doing is filing a legal complaint under the DMCA.

Youtube's response to this is to automatically take down the vid and let the video author know what's happened and by whom.

If this happens to three vids on an account, Youtube automaticaaly shuts down the channel in question. I'd wager that Capcom, given a choice, really would have clicked the "PLEASE just remove this one video here" button if there was one to click. Capcom have, in the past, gone to youtube to request SF uploaders channels be reopened. They know the community keeps SF alive. But youtube has it's own policies and they're delibrately quite strict.

While you can definitely say this isn't right, as effectively it's punishing someone without due process, youtube is a private site and it has to defend itself from legal attacks. It really sucks but it's the logical process for youtube to follow that potential offenders be removed. The actual problem at source is that the law is not keeping up with the changing face of information sharing.

Now you will hear alot of guffawing and armchair lawyers on this. but the above is what I have garnered from both my time as a mod here and gleaned from watching the results of DMCA on youtube in their forums.

The simple matter of fact is no one has the right to upload footage of video games unless they conform with the fair usage policy which is delibrately left nebulous to prevent abuse, or they have express permission from the author.

The gaming footage on youtube- including mine- exists in this nether realm where Capcom and other companies "ignore" this fact because they know how much this footage is actually worth to the continuation of their franchises. I seriously seriously doubt Capcom intended for this to escalate the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

WAH WAH WAH Play my game WAH WAH WAH Don't upload leaks please WAH WAH WAH Gonna abuse the DMCA WAH WAH WAH

^-- That's how I'm seeing Capcom.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    WAH WAH WAH Play my game WAH WAH WAH Don't upload leaks please WAH WAH WAH Gonna abuse the DMCA WAH WAH WAH

you cant be serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Thanks to Doom for explaining how things work, makes this all make a bit more sense.

I was checking my RSS feeds when I got back from Akumakon, and I was really puzzled that there was "More Evil/Oni footage" and "Evil/Oni character analysis" without there being an official reveal trailer at the beginning to tie everything together (Like with the MvC3 info).

I imagine Capcom had their schedule of release information, tied to certain marketing campaigns, all carefully planned out in advance to maximise impact; then saw the leak footage and were like:

"OH SHI-, quick somebody pull all the youtube videos until we get approval to bump the reveal trailers up to today."

*Pulls the youtube videos*

"Hey guys, it looks like we got all our high profile fans banned from Youtube by pulling the videos."

*PANIC*

I mean, this info did break over the weekend, and most of most companies only work Monday to Friday. I imagine some poor chap who's in charge on weekends is having the worst Monday of his life right now.

• Advertisement

An abuse of DMCA is using it when you are not the copyright holder. the videos taken down had less than no claim to fair use. Most of them were straight up gameplay footage. It is straight up Capcoms right to have these removed if they so wish if those videos were posted without permission.

There can be severe legal penalties for the filing of a false DMCA claim. If you don't believe me, look up venomfangx DMCA for the kinda stuff that can happen.

Regardless of if we like it or not, Capcom were completely within their rights to do what they did.

That said, they could at least try and turn this into a positive. the SF4 series' promotion has involved an endless series of trolling, half truths and misdirection. For a company who has relied on effectively playing jokes on the community who pays their way, this is a huge opportunity to show the humour works in reverse too and score some major brownie points for the future.

I wouldn't go that far, but Capcom's behavior concerning leaks about their fighting games is just beyond stupid.

First the new roster for TVC gets leaked because they were stupid enough to leave the names of the characters in the Java script for their web page, and despite them denying everything to the last about the characters mentioned , low and behold the final roster is exactly what we expected. Same goes for Marvel 3, was anyone even remotely surprised when Akuma and Taskmaster showed up ?, of course not.

Now they are trying to sweep this under the rug like nothing happened, whats the point now ?, we know they exist. If they do get arcade operators to disable these characters whilst also pulling down every video/image available of them off the net (practically impossible), then I find it laughable, are they gonna turn around in a month with a new trailer only to say "Suprise!" ?.

Their best bet is to focus on keeping whoever the final 2 characters are under wraps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Without a super-injunction they can't ban news of this happening, including footage of what happened.

Full matches would be a different story. and even then, a video site with servers in more lax regions wouldn't necessarily need to do anything.

The really interesting thing is how they got they code, leak or hax? Any decent level of encryption should prevent a brute force attack...

The best thing about the leaks is that its probably saved us months of blurry screenshots with that stupid Blanka toy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

J.jpg

:D

the SF4 series' promotion has involved an endless series of trolling, half truths and misdirection. For a company who has relied on effectively playing jokes on the community who pays their way, this is a huge opportunity to show the humour works in reverse too and score some major brownie points for the future.
    The best thing about the leaks is that its probably saved us months of blurry screenshots with that stupid Blanka toy

I dont agree with people blaming capcom for trolling etc etc etc.
    Onos twitter and interviews are not directly affiliated with capcom and/or linked via any official capcom sites or products.
    Ono brings his work home with him. If people want new details and features released everyday then they will see the end of street fighter. I think their PR does a great job and they respond to their fans very well. Its not like they seem out of touch like most companies, you wouldnt know where to start if you wanted to propose an idea to a company other than capcom

Placebo wrote: »
    If people want new details and features released everyday then they will see the end of street fighter.

What do you mean by the end of street fighter?

To be honest, I'd rather have no news than:

"Is *random character* going to be in AE?"

Ono: "HMM I cant answer that right now! :p:pac::p"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

The reaction by Capcom is a bit drastic but is generally in line with what I was expecting, I called it on SRK that it wasn't going to be pretty and I've being proven right. No one in Capcom is going to lose their job over this ( though they might get a grilling or two regardless ) , the whole leak was the work of hackers breaking the password by brute force to begin with ( or so I've heard. )

Also, although I do agree Ono's trolling can be a bit excessive at times, I generally see it as good marketing, the guy has to honor non-disclosure aspects of his contract, after all. Hence, why he can't really say if such and such a character is in or not.

Just my two cents.

Without a super-injunction they can't ban news of this happening, including footage of what happened.
    Full matches would be a different story. and even then, a video site with servers in more lax regions wouldn't necessarily need to do anything.

The really interesting thing is how they got they code, leak or hax? Any decent level of encryption should prevent a brute force attack...

This is an important point.

If any of you follow video game news I'm sure you've heard of embargos on discussing or reviewing games, and them being lifted.

What you might not know is that in the case of really big games this is enforced by means of NDAs (Non Disclosure Agreements) the breaching of which might cause serious legal problems.

I'd say part of Capcom's wobbly throwing was due to the fact there were suddenly loads of people wandering around with access to their sekrit stuff with no actual legal reason not to talk at length about it and share at will.

It's a pity they weren't quick enough thinking to go "you got us guys, got us good".

• Advertisement

GorySnake wrote: »
    What do you mean by the end of street fighter?

To be honest, I'd rather have no news than:

"Is *random character* going to be in AE?"

Ono: "HMM I cant answer that right now! :p:pac::p"

Why are you reading his twitter or unofficial forums. Thats HYPE and SPECULATION created by yourselves. Not capcom. Anyway my point was if they kept releasing things to keep up with the 'demand' of 14 year old SRK members then it will ruin street fighter, so whenever there is a release/update the information is leaked in small bytes, to make the most of it. Anyway that was a side point, softly irrelevant.

Advertisement