Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Street Fighter 4 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,009 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Anyone on here with the GT "Artemus C Frog"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

That's Neenak Chopper,Rose player.
    He's in our group in the online tournie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Sagat06

qwertee-mockup-ssf4_mhb_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

That's Neenak Chopper,Rose player
    Aw. Now I'm not special anymore. I'm quitting this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,009 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Cool. I'll try get on this evening when I'm home at about half ten.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

The latest Cross Counter is not exactly filling me with confidence about AE.

It makes it sound like If you don't enjoy rekkas or a particular style of rushdown you're better off not playing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Deal_with_it_dog_gif.gif?1275684729

Ramza wrote: »
    Deal_with_it_dog_gif.gif?1275684729

Yes, it will be great for everyone if people deal with it by not playing fighting games anymore, as happened with 3S.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Yes, it will be great for everyone if people deal with it by not playing fighting games anymore, as happened with 3S.

lol, what a come back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

My prediction: AE will be utter sh*te and everybody will play it anyway.

• Advertisement

Not what I meant. What I meant was like, if AE comes down to being a big Fei/Yun fest or whatever, ok that sucks, and Yun/Chun zzzzz was so boring in 3s but it didn't affect me at all, like if you get me.

Why would you quit/play a lot less because of that anyway? IMO that's daft, but that's just me

I didn't mean deal with it in an asshole sense, I just ****ing love that picture
    My prediction: AE will be utter sh*te and everybody will play it anyway.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Ban request with Ramza and that stupid gif.

A-Trak wrote: »
    Ban request with Ramza and that stupid gif.

You love it A-Trak :pac:

I was going to post the deal with it gif again lol

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Makoto's going to be awesome in it, and my hard work will finally pay off. That's all that really matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Makoto's going to be awesome in it, and my hard work will finally pay off. That's all that really matters.

Jaysus, now you'll get even more wound up if you lose with her in AE.

I can understand that people might be frustrated or whatever like Doom said, but i merely meant deal with it in a fighting game sense of learn the matchups and rinse everyone who uses them (on the upside, fighting a lot of the same character will be integral and a great help in learning how to beat them)

I didn't mean to come across as a dick

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Yeah its abit odd that people would be be overly concerned about how common the Twins and Fei long might be.

I mean when SF IV came everyman and his dog played Ryu, Ken and the clearly top tier Sagat.

Regardless of who is top tier, Ryu and Ken will always be the most most played. If Fei Long is top tier, I can't see him being as strong as vanilla Sagat, so I won't mind if he's common.

The twins do seem strong. The only thing that looks cheesy so far is Yun's Ex.Dash punch being safe on block. But if he's using that alot he's not getting to use his super much.

Also Ramza you really milked "that deal with it" gif abit much. Even I would of learned to stop using that joke already ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Agreed with Azza, especially about Fei - even if he is really good, he takes a lot of work and consistency to make good imo.

Looks like Yun will be the same, especially given his low health.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Are people really that concerned about the abundance of new top tier bandwagoners?

I thought people were more worried about all the hilariously stupid changes made to existing characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Yun's lunge punches just seem safe on block in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

And combos into ultra as well.
    Spamtastic.

Pretty sure you're wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Nah I'd say its just spacing and timing like Blanka's slide. last active frames and all that stuff I dont understand :/

Are people really that concerned about the abundance of new top tier bandwagoners?

I thought people were more worried about all the hilariously stupid changes made to existing characters.

Just to clarify my position, I'm not worried about bandwagon jumpers, I am concerned that the paradigm of the SF4 series is shifting heavily away from the one which brought everyone back to fighting games. It's the flagship series and it's success is important to all of us whether we like to acknowledge that fact or not.

I genuinely think a game which appears to be all rushdown with 3 similar characters will lose the interest the nostalgia factor brought back to fighting games. It's too soon for 3S's peak- there's a reason we have Transformer films, not Power Rangers- and I think it's a mistake. That's all. I myself will make do with developing some more aggressive skills (I've already been playing alot of Dudley to do so, and let's be honest it's about time) seeing as Guile now has a couple of apparently impossible matches.

I don't think "rushdown" had anything to do witth 3s' unpopularity personally (I don't think it's going to play any more like 3s either? not sure if I'm misunderstanding you on that one), nor do I think it's a bad thing that the game apparently rewards playing more aggressively now. I'm sure playing defensively will still be a viable option (Bonchan et al seem to be doing fine with Sagat anyway).

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    I don't think "rushdown" had anything to do witth 3s' unpopularity personally (I don't think it's going to play any more like 3s either? not sure if I'm misunderstanding you on that one), nor do I think it's a bad thing that the game apparently rewards playing more aggressively now. I'm sure playing defensively will still be a viable option (Bonchan et al seem to be doing fine with Sagat anyway).

Kay I made that argument wrong, it's not meant to be a stab at 3S, nor was I implying that AE = 3S.

My point is that that I am not sure the people who've come back to the fold will enjoy this new, probably enforced by dlc change to the game in a different direction. I hope I am wrong in that. Where 3S came into it is that at some point in the near future if Capcom have any sense they will tap the nostalgia market for it correctly. While AE is definitely not 4rd strike, three of the 4 characters brought up in the vid I was discussing ARE 3S characters. It does look to me like Capcom are trying to tap that market but it's prob a little too early (20 years is the perfect time to exploit nostalgia, morketeers reckon).

Reports are that defensive play must be 100% or you lose. I'll wait and see, as to be honest there's loads of crap on SRK :D

You have to admit seeing Mike Ross (who has recently been referred to more and more as the peoples champ in streams etc I have been watching) saying he probably won't bother with SSF4 AE in lieu of MvC3 because of this change of direction is a worrying thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭The Hound

Doom, You played Guile in Vanilla and he bottom tier. He's going to be better in AE than he was in vanilla and even with the nerfs after super he'll still be good.
    Two new characters come into the game and people are worried that the game will change into a 3s rushdown style. The game needed more rushdown characters. Its way too defensive. The twins wont change much imo and If Daigo, Mago and Tokido say Fei is better than them then you'll have nothing to worry about.

The Hound wrote: »
    Doom, You played Guile in Vanilla and he bottom tier. He's going to be better in AE than he was in vanilla and even with the nerfs after super he'll still be good.
    Two new characters come into the game and people are worried that the game will change into a 3s rushdown style. The game needed more rushdown characters. Its way too defensive. The twins wont change much imo and If Daigo, Mago and Tokido say Fei is better than them then you'll have nothing to worry about.

I'm not worried about me man I did fine with vanilla Guile and I'll do fine with mid tier Guile. I'm not actually seeing much from the twins to worry Guile as a character yet either. I'm worried about the scene getting damaged by the main game becoming a two horse race again...

Maybe I'm just worried about change :D

Reports are that defensive play must be 100% or you lose. I'll wait and see, as to be honest there's loads of crap on SRK :D

You have to admit seeing Mike Ross (who has recently been referred to more and more as the peoples champ in streams etc I have been watching) saying he probably won't bother with SSF4 AE in lieu of MvC3 because of this change of direction is a worrying thing.

Good, characters with defensive options that are as strong as what's available in sf4 should lose if an offensive character gets in imo.

I don't see how that's worrying at all? He was an MVC2 player like, of course he's gonna play MVC3 anyway. Even apart from that, why should I care about Mike Ross' opinion on the game? He's a funny guy and a solid player, but that's about it.

edit: Damaged by it being a two horse race again? What game are you talking about? 3s isn't a two horse race if you're referring to that. Vanilla had a much stronger top character than it looks like anyone in AE is as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

AE being more rushdown-oriented is a good thing. The SF4 series really needed it.

I'd much rather they did so by changing the system (buffing throws, nerfing ultras, reducing reversal windows, increasing blockstun, increasing the game speed, making the stages smaller, etc.) than by simply nerfing the more defensive characters into oblivion, though.

Advertisement