Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Street Fighter 4 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Placebo wrote: »
    dudley was an alternative for balrog.
    as remy was for guile.

makes no sense having him in a game where balrog already exists.

dudley is in absolutely no way like dudley except for being a black boxer character. moveset and playstyle is almost as different to balrog as you could get without being a projectile character.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    dudley is in absolutely no way like dudley except for being a black boxer character. moveset and playstyle is almost as different to balrog as you could get without being a projectile character.
    Is Dudley black? I always thought he was like one of those great white hunters from Africa in the 19th/early 20th century. Dark, tanned and swarthy like Errol Flynn(whom he was obviously modelled on). He has pale blue eyes which would definitely back my theory up. My ex-girlfriend was convinced of this too...
    Elena(best SF gal IMO)on the other hand.....

Ken B wrote: »
    Is Dudley black? I always thought he was like one of those great white hunters from Africa in the 19th/early 20th century. Dark, tanned and swarthy like Errol Flynn(whom he was obviously modelled on). He has pale blue eyes which would definitely back my theory up. My ex-girlfriend was convinced of this too...
    Elena(best SF gal IMO)on the other hand.....

I just figured he was mixed race or something... honestly, it's a Japanese fighting game, I don't think they're capable of designing a boxer character who's not black. :pac:Dark-skinned was what I meant anyway, not African.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

when did i even say he was like balrog? i said an alternative.

just dont see the need when they could have had makoto, yun, oro, necro, urien

What do you mean by an alternative then?

Out of those characters (and the rumour is that Makoto will be in anyway, right?) I'm pretty surely Dudley would easily top a popularity poll from fans.

And honestly, I love Urien in 3S, but I don't think he'd work in SF4 - all his fun tricks come from charge partitioning, unblockables, and crazy aegis reflector shenangians (which if they left in in a similar form...can't see how it wouldn't completely break the game - parrying just about stopped it from being completely broken in 3S).

I'd love to see all the characters you posted in the game, mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Dud is of mixed race. But on note with what Placebo said, when you say alternative you mean a pseudo-replacement, I take it? As in Remy - Guile, similar looking moves, same inputs (bar Remy has a kick/low sonic boom/Light of Virtue). And I know there's some of the cast in SF3 which represent SF2 characters, (Necro - Sim, Hugo - Gief, Remy - Guile) and some which don't But saying Dud is an alternative for Boxer still isn't really true. Apart from the fact he is a boxer, and is black/dark skinned. Other than that, nothing similar at all

Back on topic

Gutter Trash! *throws rose*

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Seth is an inferior clone of his big bro
    Abel :pac:

And honestly, I love Urien in 3S, but I don't think he'd work in SF4 - all his fun tricks come from charge partitioning, unblockables, and crazy aegis reflector shenangians (which if they left in in a similar form...can't see how it wouldn't completely break the game - parrying just about stopped it from being completely broken in 3S)

I was thinking about that myself, how in SF4 the Aegis Unblockable would be total bs. I guess everything but the UB would be ok. Maybe some new ****, I'm too lazy to think right now :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Dudley is massively popular and people have been dying for a balrog v dudley match for years. Also I thought makoto was gonna be in it too?

Ramza wrote: »
    Dud is of mixed race.

Yeah he's meant to be half Indian or Pakistani mixed with English. So he's not really even meant to be 'black' per say.

Dudley.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

He meant alternative as in adding a boxing character to a street fighter game, rather then how he plays. Placebo, like me, was a big 3rd strike player online before SF4 came out, he knows dudleys inputs etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,995 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

He may not have been an alternative in 3S, but he will be in SSFIV if he's included as it'll be a boxer character for people who don't like using charge characters.

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    Placebo, like me, was a big 3rd strike player online before SF4 came out, he knows dudleys inputs etc.

*Ahem* :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4Qv92yO8r8

I would gladly trade all the characters in for Urien(with his Tyrant Slaughter as his Ultra).....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Imagine getting your hands on super for the first time and playing a ken mirror :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

animaX wrote: »
    Imagine getting your hands on super for the first time and playing a ken mirror :rolleyes:

So you won't be picking Sagat, yeah? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

So you won't be picking Sagat, yeah? :D

haha. I actually played alpha 3 last week for the first time in a long time and I have to say, I really like Adon. Lets hope he has some nice ultra setups!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

They better put Makoto in it. She was the only well designed character from SFIII. The rest looked like they belonged in a Marvel game or a gay pride parade.

Xluna wrote: »
    They better put Makoto in it. She was the only well designed character from SFIII. The rest looked like they belonged in a Marvel game or a gay pride parade.

this post is terrible imo

this post is terrible imo

Alot of people don't like the design aesthetic in the SF3 series.

• Advertisement

Alot of people don't like the design aesthetic in the SF3 series.

I liked the backgrounds but thought most of the new characters were designed for different games and just got lost in a street fighter game. I mean a one hundred year old one armed mummy,a frankenstein,an alien,a Jesus wannabe working for the illuminati and Remy-who looks like one of those uninspired KOF male characters-who all look like clones of each other.:rolleyes:

I liked the backgrounds but thought most of the new characters were designed for different games and just got lost in a street fighter game. I mean a one hundred year old one armed mummy,a frankenstein,an alien,a Jesus wannabe working for the illuminati and Remy-who looks like one of those uninspired KOF male characters-who all look like clones of each other.:rolleyes:

A Street Fighter game...with a stretchy Indian Yogi, a Brazilian jungle beast-man, a Jamaican whose grin takes up 50% of his face, a narcissistic matador, and various racist stereotypes. Yeah, how could they screw up that that cohesive a lineup? :pac:

edit: remy is terrible though

Personally I never minded the aesthetic myself. It's a different series to alpha and 2, and it's a product of it's time. I do believe the 3S characters we've seen chosen for 4 are the ones which fit THAT games art style the most, just from looking at them.

I do wonder about people who go on about the fantastical nature of the £s characters though- Ryu is able to shoot flame from his fists, lest we forget, even if he just looks like some guy.

A Street Fighter game...with a stretchy Indian Yogi, a Brazilian jungle beast-man, a Jamaican whose grin takes up 50% of his face, a narcissistic matador, and various racist stereotypes. Yeah, how could they screw up that that cohesive a lineup? :pac:

edit: remy is terrible though

Well if you ever seen a movie called Master of the flying guillotine,starring Jimmy Wang Yu, you'll know where the inspiration for Dhalsim came from. How are they "racist stereotypes".:confused: They do tend to embody their nations culture but to call it racist sounds a bit over the top.

Dudley, Urien, Hugo, Alex and Elena......5 brilliant characters, unsurpassed 2d animation, fantastic backgrounds(in the first two iterations at least)and perfect gameplay. What's not to love about SF3??

I do wonder about people who go on about the fantastical nature of the £s characters though- Ryu is able to shoot flame from his fists, lest we forget, even if he just looks like some guy.

True but at least it's loosley based on an exagerated form of ki energy,a purported martial arts technique.It's only visiable to the player for gameplay purposes and levitation is cited as one of the "miracles of Yoga", which only fakirs can use-allegedly.

Well if you ever seen a movie called Master of the flying guillotine,starring Jimmy Wang Yu, you'll know where the inspiration for Dhalsim came from. How are they "racist stereotypes".:confused: They do tend to embody their nations culture but to call it racist sounds a bit over the top.

Ah come on now.

A jamaican who's all about the rythm, mon.

A native american called Hawk.

a wandering japanese warrior.

a hardcore american revenge driven soldier.

a japanese sumo wrestler.

a cute girl who is quick but does no damage.

a fire breathing indian yogi.

an arrogant rich american.

The russian defending the honour of communism.

A disgraced black american boxer named bison

A spanish matador

True but at least it's loosley based on an exagerated form of ki energy,a purported martial arts technique.It's only visiable to the player for gameplay purposes.

Doesn't explain the sonic boom. :)

Dudley, Urien, Hugo, Alex and Elena......5 brilliant characters, unsurpassed 2d animation, fantastic backgrounds(in the first two iterations at least)and perfect gameplay. What's not to love about SF3??

Have to say I think Hugo looks worse than Remy.

I won't argue about the animation or the gameplay. He just looks cack to me.

The rest I totally agree with.

Except for gameplay, I still have only played 3s like 4 times and that was in tournaments :D

• Advertisement

Half of the cast. I did'nt like the rap/techno soundtrack either.:cool:

Advertisement