Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Street Fighter 4 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

Doesn't explain the sonic boom. :)

Too many vindaloos.:cool:

Ah come on now.

A jamaican who's all about the rythm, mon.

A native american called Hawk.

a wandering japanese warrior.

a hardcore american revenge driven soldier.

a japanese sumo wrestler.

a cute girl who is quick but does no damage.

a fire breathing indian yogi.

an arrogant rich american.

The russian defending the honour of communism.

A disgraced black american boxer named bison

A spanish matador

All I can say is there's truth in stereotypes.:P Personally I don't consider stereotypes such as these to be racists. I mean, stereotypes don't create themselves at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Yeah half of Mexico was named Thunder Hawk at some stage I'm sure :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I want to put a stop to these heinous lies.

Vega is not a matador.

Other then that I have to agree Xluna. I hated the design of the SF3 games. The mechanics, the stages and the characters. I didn't like any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

HMUYA wrote: »
    I want to put a stop to these heinous lies.

Vega is not a matador.

Other then that I have to agree Xluna. I hated the design of the SF3 games. The mechanics, the stages and the characters. I didn't like any of it.

"Vega wears purple and yellow ceremonial trousers, a red sash, loafers, and white leggings of a matador, suggesting his involvement with bullfighting. This decorative garb also offers matadors ease of movement, and is ideal for Vega's acrobatic maneuvers."

he is obviously a matador!

edit: and if that's not his job then that just provides more proof that it's a racist stereotype that he dresses like one! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Xluna wrote: »
    All I can say is there's truth in stereotypes.:P Personally I don't consider stereotypes such as these to be racists. I mean, stereotypes don't create themselves at the end of the day.

We'll have to agree to disagree, as to be honest I cannot see how an evil black american boxer given a name and appearance similar to mike tyson can be seen as anything BUT racist, nor Ken's arrogant attitude.

Still, the point remains- SF2 designs aren't the incredibly amazing things they are held up to be. They're great, but they're of their time. Personally I consider the 3S designs in a similar way but alot of people disagree.

Thats fine because it's all just opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

They better put Makoto in it. She was the only well designed character from SFIII. The rest looked like they belonged in a Marvel game or a gay pride parade.

Pssh but she had man hands! Nah I do like the character, rather ibuki though :p
    We'll have to agree to disagree, as to be honest I cannot see how an evil black american boxer given a name and appearance similar to mike tyson can be seen as anything BUT racist, nor Ken's arrogant attitude.

Racist? Would that not mean fei long is racist, since he looks and fights like bruce lee?

Tyson was a famous american fighter, so capcom made a character like him, fei long was a famous Chinese fighter etc etc. .

Racist is a pretty strong word.

There's a large african american community in the american street fighter scene and I have read posts by some who have expressed a desire to have a black character thats not a big boxer or whatever etc. I actually think Sean is a good character and I'd love to see him in SF4, but in terms of racism, I remember reading complaints of the alpha character Birdie. Due to the way he was drawn (big lips etc) I don't think rog is viewed as being racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I thought some of you guys were wrestling fans? How could you no like Alex or Hugo - they were Capcom's homages to Hulk Hogan & Andre the Giant! :eek:

And of course Makoto has "man hands", she's a true tomboy (unlike Sakura). And a frigging sadist to boot - girl LOVES inflicting pain!
    ... love her! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Have to say I think Hugo looks worse than Remy.

I won't argue about the animation or the gameplay. He just looks cack to me.

Do you not remember Hugo from Final Fight? Thats where they got his design from as well as Poison who runs on after and before rounds.

As for Street Fighter 3 was it not meant to have nothing to do with the street fighter universe when it started out? I think when it became SF3 the fan outcry forced them to add Ryu and Ken, there was supposed to be no returning characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Don't hate 3S because its beautiful.

:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    "Vega wears purple and yellow ceremonial trousers, a red sash, loafers, and white leggings of a matador, suggesting his involvement with bullfighting. This decorative garb also offers matadors ease of movement, and is ideal for Vega's acrobatic maneuvers."

Maybe he likes to roleplay ;)

xD

Vega: he'll make you squeal like a young bull.

Curse my perverted imagination! It's all because of the Internet!

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Vega: he'll make you squeal like a young bull.

Curse my perverted imagination! It's all because of the Internet!

Meh im worse I can make some pretty filthy innuendos when sagat says tiger knee, shot, etc etc...

:D

I don't think the Bison Tyson link was racist. Tyson was the biggest thing ever in boxing when SF first came out and SF was'nt well know,especially after the mediocrity that was SF 1. So Capcom probably just wanted to popularise they game by basing one of the characters on the biggest name in unarmed combat at the time-who happened to be a not very nice black American boxer. I mean video games rip off Bruce Lee all the time. It just happens that Lee was a more respectable person than Tyson.

As for Kens arrogant attitude. It's meant to contrast against Ryu,you can see it in their fighting styles. And sure it's a sterotype but it comes from somewhere. Japan is a group orientated society while America is an individualist orientated society.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Do you not remember Hugo from Final Fight? Thats where they got his design from as well as Poison who runs on after and before rounds.

As for Street Fighter 3 was it not meant to have nothing to do with the street fighter universe when it started out? I think when it became SF3 the fan outcry forced them to add Ryu and Ken, there was supposed to be no returning characters.

It was part of the SF universe,which includes Final Fight ( Please add Poison as an SSIV character capcom.),but SF III was originally intended not to have any SF2 characters as you said. Sean was suppossed to be the new Shotokan fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

( Please add Poison as an SSIV character capcom.)

I don't want to imagine the pictures Kiki would post if they added Poison!

She already had the operation according to Capcom.Video game characters have an in depth personal life in between sequels.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Maybe racist is too strong a word, but the SF2 designs are still extremely lazy racial stereotypes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    Pssh but she had man hands!
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    And of course Makoto has "man hands"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,995 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Ken B wrote: »
    Dudley, Urien, Hugo, Alex and Elena......5 brilliant characters, unsurpassed 2d animation, fantastic backgrounds(in the first two iterations at least)and perfect gameplay. What's not to love about SF3??

Garou: Mark of the Wolves says hello. ;)

I like the 3S cast and always thought it was silly when people said Oro, Necro and Twelve didn't belong in a Street Fighter game, but would defend Blanka and Dhalsim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

Garou: Mark of the Wolves says hello. ;)

I like the 3S cast and always thought it was silly when people said Oro, Necro and Twelve didn't belong in a Street Fighter game, but would defend Blanka and Dhalsim.
    Chopper, I llike Garou a lot, I had the emulation and have been meaning to pick it up for XBL....but the animation is no way as good as SFIII. The charcters in III have such weight and volume that they practically fall through the screen. (I have a HDIP ballyfermot/dun laoighaire in classical animation and have industry experience and could probably prove what I'm saying....!!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,995 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

But it was done on ancient Neo Geo hardware, not that fancy new CPS3 stuff!

But it was done on ancient Neo Geo hardware, not that fancy new CPS3 stuff!
    True.....
    But on another (related) note: Oro and Necro are utterly adorable!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Ahhh, MOTW was pretty awesome, shame the 360 one seems rather half-assed and I've heard the netcode is woeful.

Game had the most insanely strict-ass controls ever though, always fluffed my inputs.

Getting somewhat off topic it seems... uhhh... well I hope SSF4 is at least half as good as the games we've been talking about. :D

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

True.....
    But on another (related) note: Oro and Necro are utterly adorable!!!:)
    Necro is who I'm playing with, I love him! OUTTA MY WAY! Always makes me laugh

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Necro is who I'm playing with, I love him! OUTTA MY WAY! Always makes me laugh
    Do you have anniversary addition for the Xbox? If you do, I'd love to play some games. Add me and hit me up! And prepare for (quite literally) a tongue lashing!!!

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Do you have anniversary addition for the Xbox? If you do, I'd love to play some games. Add me and hit me up! And prepare for (quite literally) a tongue lashing!!!
    HA, even if I was in any way able to play the game (which I can not), I'm emulating it on my laptop, it's CPS3, the arcade version.

I'd most likely get banned if I dug into my poison folder :pac:

*edit* Holy crap Garou! I wonder if I still know how to even play that game...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Confirmed: guile has a much improved flash kick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Yo hit me up we can play!

Advertisement