Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Street Fighter 4 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

And this Terry and gentlemen, is why Tier lists should never be trusted. Because everyone has their own opinion and lists are just one guy's!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,274 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If Terry was any good his success rate might match what is laid out in the tier list :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    And this Terry and gentlemen, is why Tier lists should never be trusted. Because everyone has their own opinion and lists are just one guy's!

Except for that good tier lists are based on tournament results so it's not just one guy's opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If Terry was any good his success rate might match what is laid out in the tier list :P

Touche!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

http://www.capcom-europe.com/

2 new vids posted with footage of Cody and Adon.

EDIT: Adon's second ultra's name revealed (Jaguar avalanche) but not shown. Cody's second ultra shown (Last Dread Dust) and it kicks ass! They also show Cody's super.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

So Ultras seem to be picked before hand. Will probably end up being the same as 3S with everyone picking the same one.

Have to say Adon looks really appealing to me. Also, sound not working for anyone else?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,274 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The sound is just stupidly low. Also the movies stream stupidly slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Jim wrote: »
    So Ultras seem to be picked before hand. Will probably end up being the same as 3S with everyone picking the same one.

Have to say Adon looks really appealing to me. Also, sound not working for anyone else?
    Not really, only a handful of characters in 3S were "pick 1 Super only".
    Chun, Ken & Yun, yes.

But Ryu & Dudley have 3 viable Supers (though I never use Denjin personally - it's a setup that relies on your opponent not being able to parry).
    Yang can either SA1 for big damage (rare), SA2 for lots of meter, or SA3 for unblockable mixups.

Hell, Urien's Aegis Reflector was SHUNNED for the first years of 3S because people thought it was crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Some supers in 3s like Kiki said we're no brainers, mainly Urien's Aegis, Ken's Shippu, Chun's SA2 and Yun with Genei Jin. Characters like Makoto, Yang, Ryu and Dud weren't really. It really was matchup dependant (for e.g, Makoto against twins would NOT use SA2, SA1 would be better because the twins have low stamina/stun, and SA1 was all round more useful against them, and easily HCable).

I don't know what it will be like in SSF4 but I hope it doesn't take the route of most chars having one ****ty ultra, and one good one. I think that having two varying Ultra combos to choose from, adds more depth to matchups etc. It will be interesting to see all the new setups, pros and cons etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Come on now, Even chatacters with more than one useful super were preference or even geography (hello ryu) dependant rather than match up for the most part.

It's a poor game play decision. but then again so are ultras....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Some supers were mathup dependant. I actually think dependant is a bad word, I think "preferred" is a better word. Like Dud's SA3 aganst twins was more useful than SA1, but all in all it's preference andf practibility at the end of the day I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

Not a big fan of the new announcer though I know over time I'll get used to it :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mr_kyle

Have the selectable supers / ultras been confirmed? I would vastly prefer both being usable, like Alpha / Zero series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

mr_kyle wrote: »
    Have the selectable supers / ultras been confirmed? I would vastly prefer both being usable, like Alpha / Zero series.

I pretty sure you have to select 1. Imagine zangief with both those ultras, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It's more-or-less confirmed - aside from the issue of JP->ENG translations, the characters also have a different colour Ultra meter (Blue for UltraI, Purple for UltraII).

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭DarkTalant

And in the new capcom videos it clearly states the name of one of the characters ultras under the portrains on the loading screen...

In the gameplay vids on the Capcom Europe website it shows on the "Cody VS Ryu" the name of an Ultra underneath their character portraits before the match starts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I wonder will you pick your ultra after both people have chosen their characters. I would think some ultras would be better against certain characters. How did it work in 3rd strike?

bush wrote: »
    I wonder will you pick your ultra after both people have chosen their characters. I would think some ultras would be better against certain characters. How did it work in 3rd strike?
    You picked the Ultra as you picked the character, same as colour etc. But once you got to the Ultra select you couldn't go back, unlike colour.

However, 3s wasn't blind select....so it might be different. I'm sure people will give reports after playing it at CES this weekend.

[EDIT]Ultra = Super ddddduuuurrrrrrrr[/EDIT]

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Red350

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mr_kyle

@Bush; I don't think that was an unrealistic expectation chap. As Gief has had both an anti air and a damaging throw super as multiple options in the Alpha / Zero series.

Thanks for the heads up whats happening gents! Bit disappointing that is has to be just one imo.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

@Bush; I don't think that was an unrealistic expectation chap. As Gief has had both an anti air and a damaging throw super as multiple options in the Alpha / Zero series.

Thanks for the heads up whats happening gents! Bit disappointing that is has to be just one imo.

In Zangief's case, if he had an air and a ground ultra at any given time, there'd simply be no way for Guile for one to fight him once he had meter. You have to meet him in the air because of the splash. I would guess the 1 ultra thing is to introduce a little bit of strategy and balance.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Red350 wrote: »
    I think I speak for more than myself when I say "WTF" :confused:. And trust me, I don't use that phrase a lot...

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    I think I speak for more than myself when I say "WTF" :confused:. And trust me, I don't use that phrase a lot...
    It looks like the move that he practices in his SFIII 3rd strike ending....I'm sure it's on youtube somewhere.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,995 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I'm starting to think Capcom is deliberately putting out misleading videos and when the game is released none of this stupid stuff will be in it.

Akuma now has a 360 degree rotating torso!!!!!

Also Adons Ultra doesn't appear to have much invincibility.

Not impressed with that either.

Only ones I'm liking so far are Ryu's, Fei's and Ken's to some extent. Although I really really ****ing like Fei Long's.

Background music is a big improvement. At least there's a bit of melody and structure to the tracks compared to the ****e in SF4.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I don't see the point of giving Gief an air ultra. Any none insane opponent won't jump at Gief given how a good an anti air tool his larait is, they have even less reason to jump if he has an anti air ultra.

Also Akuma's second ultra is retarded looking.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Azza wrote: »
    I don't see the point of giving Gief an air ultra. Any none insane opponent won't jump at Gief given how a good an anti air tool his larait is, they have even less reason to jump if he has an anti air ultra.

Also Akuma's second ultra is retarded looking.

If you're playing a zoning game with him and booms you have to jump on reaction to his jumps and try to stuff him with a medium or heavy kick with Guile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Red350

If gief knocks you down though, he can punish jumping back on wakeup with ultra.

Advertisement