Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Street Fighter 4 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

One more thing- there's a major vibe of "fights will last longer" off of this... not sure the 3S players'll dig that.

only for sonic boom spammers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,995 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Ken B will be happy (and a bloody nightmare to play against!)

Now please tell us about Vega's adjustments.

Okada:
    We've made Vega stronger! Probably the biggest thing is that we've given him more overheads. His Piece of Mercury (Down-Toward + Medium Kick) was a high attack, but in SSF4 it now hits overhead. Many people said it was hard to get knockdowns with Vega in SF4, but with this attack hitting overhead now this should increase his attacking options. Also, we mentioned this before, but we've made his claw and mask more durable, so they don't come off so easily now. We're also adjusting his vitality even when he has the mask and claw, so I believe players will be able to use a stronger playstyle. We've also increased the invulnerability periods on all his special moves and made them stronger.

Sano:
    To give some specific details, we've made his Scarlet Terror unthrowable, so it can be better used against Zangief's Screw Pile Driver. Also, his Medium Punch Rolling Crystal Flash will cause guard stun until the very end, so he doesn't have to worry about it being interrupted by an attack with invincibility, and can use it safely as a chip-damage move.

How about his ultras?

Okada:
    First, we've vastly improved his Bloody High Claw. Now it hits on the way up, the same as his EX-Flying Barcelona Attack, so there are more situations in which he can land it. Also, Splendid Claw reduces his hitbox and moves along very quickly. Bloody High Claw does good damage and is good for anti-air, while Splendid Claw is for grounded opponents. I think Splendid Claw is easier to use than Bloody High Claw, so that adds to his strength.

Many people feel that Vega isn't quite as agile as compared to his Street Fighter 2 version...?

Okada:
    Really though, in SF4 Vega is one of the most agile characters in the game. It's just that he's tall and his legs have a particular movement to them, so if you look at the image it doesn't look like he's moving much at all.

There were also a lot of opinions that his claw throw-away move came out too easily.

Sano:
    We have taken another look at the inputs for that. Except for those who do a lot of inputs from crouching position, it shouldn't really come out on its own anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

This news has made me very happy!!:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Ken B wrote: »
    This news has made me very happy!!:D

indeed, it's a good day to be bottom tier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

indeed, it's a good day to be bottom tier.

ironically I'm having a terrible day :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Same blog says Dhalsim is the only character who got no nerfs.

Apparantly his throw and drills have been buffed but no specifics.

Bison info is already stuff we new. Confrimation that ex.psycho always goes through fireballs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Azza wrote: »
    Japanese SSF IV blog talks about the balance changes made to the old characters.

Nothing translated yet.

But just on Dhalsim. Apparantly he has been given a damage buff but nothing specific was mentioned..

Yay! some good news.
    Azza wrote: »
    His ex.yoga fire now travels full screen.

It already does. Perhaps this means it travels further? So that it travels the full level?
    we've improved his throw and drills
    This was one of my suggested improvements if you check back in the thread. And they have done it. Which is good. He can get by with poor footsies if he can throw from further away like rose and if his drills aren't as rubbish.

This sounds good. He won't be bottom tier after all. Huzzah!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

One more thing- there's a major vibe of "fights will last longer" off of this... not sure the 3S players'll dig that.

There was an amusing phenomena in 3s where a lot of rounds would tend to be won with exactly 69 seconds remaining. You'll notice it when you play, it became a kinda of 'thing' was talked about a lot on forums and in arcades the players would tip the screen when there's been yet another 69 KO....

On another note, back before I actually knew how to play street fighter properly, me and a few mates used to play a lot of alpha 3. This is back when I was 16/17.

Since those days we've all learned a lot more and during one drunken session we decided to play a little alpha 3 and almost every round ended with it running out of time. Was odd. (note we were playing alpha 3 like it was SF4, never learned A3 properly)

Sagat06 wrote: »
    3s players gonna bitch and whinge no matter what cos this is not 4s!!

Ah sure the same can be said if not more so for ST players. They don't even like HDR.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Sisko wrote: »
    Ah sure the same can be said if not more so for ST players. They don't even like HDR.

That's a silly generalisation, a lot of the ST players I know have no problem with HDR (personally I do prefer ST, but I don't mind HDR).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

in arcades the players would tip the screen when there's been yet another 69 KO....

Tip?

On it's side, or with money?

• Advertisement

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    That's a silly generalisation, a lot of the ST players I know have no problem with HDR (personally I do prefer ST, but I don't mind HDR).

I know it is, it was a silly generalistion in response to another one :p

It is a running joke that ST players only like ST bla bla bla they're the biggest purists in the scene bla bla

I was just touching on that. It goes with out saying obviously not every st player is like this.

Personally I always assumed ST players loved HDR , was only recently I found out there was so much hate for it. I never really paid much attention to SF2 stuff , was just hyped about SF4.

Tip?

On it's side, or with money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Whats the story with replays in this, can you save a replay anytime you want from any mode?

Not 100% sure but what I do know is you can't save replays from versus mode anyway.

Which would have been handy for tournaments/making videos from tournaments.

Not 100% sure but what I do know is you can't save replays from versus mode anyway.

Which would have been handy for tournaments/making videos from tournaments.

If true, that is a terrible decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

You should be able to save matches from every mode.

If you can't save them online than its a missed opportunity to grow the scene. I wonder will the "winner stays on" group mode have a replay feature.....coz I can see alot of us spending time on that. Chatting, watching and playing in a boards group.

I know as I said, even ****ty 2df or mame let you do this stuff cause its was on pc.

Although I dunno why space would be an issue on console anyway as their HD's are big enough and replay files are just a few kb's in size...

I really can't think of any reason why they limit the feature. I'd love to know.

It's just laziness. A key logger replay system is easy to implement and the file sizes are tiny.

Indeed, but I can't help but wonder, why if they DO add it to everything, they stop at versus mode knowing that would really help the tourney scene.

Looking back now it could be said the reason they held off adding this to sf4 (remember we all thought it'd be a full replay feature included in the champ mode add on?) was to hold off so super has those extra features instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

If it doesn't function for versus and all online modes there's no reason for it to exist at all.

• Advertisement

Think it functions for all online modes. Just not versus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

TBH I would say that it's more Microsofts fault that you can't replay versus.

Interesting, what makes you say that?

I was just thinking that to save offline replays would require access to the console that Microsoft might not be willing to give or would wrap in red tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Orim wrote: »
    I was just thinking that to save offline replays would require access to the console that Microsoft might not be willing to give or would wrap in red tape.

MS give you access to do all of that stuff, i'd say its down to Capcom. They may be reserving it as a feature to be added during the patching cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Modern console gaming... this is one of the reasons I quit PC gaming a decade ago.

One of the reasons you quit PC gaming was because you couldn't save replays from offline modes? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Dunjohn wrote: »
    Modern console gaming... this is one of the reasons I quit PC gaming a decade ago.

My sarcasm detector is confused. :confused:

I quit PC gaming because I couldn't afford to keep upgrading - and frankly that's the only good reason cause console games are always pulling this kind of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

My sarcasm detector is confused. :confused:

I quit PC gaming because I couldn't afford to keep upgrading - and frankly that's the only good reason cause console games are always pulling this kind of crap.
    Relying on patches after the game was released rather than getting it all done right before selling it to us? Megadrive never did that :(

• Advertisement

Dunjohn wrote: »
    Relying on patches after the game was released rather than getting it all done right before selling it to us? Megadrive never did that :(

TBH I've noticed that with this generation of consoles the reliance on patches is starting to creep in. It's very depressing becuase it was one of the reasons I gave up on PC gaming.

Advertisement