Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visiting Belfast

Options
  • 24-09-2009 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Sorry if this is the wrong section, maybe travel would be better, but i thought someone around here may help. I am going to visit friends from college in Belfast and want to make a whole weekend out of it and do the tours, see the murals etc. My question is whether its acceptable for people from the south to go up the shankill road? I have had mixed responses from people I know- some have said you shouldnt open your mouth in prodestant areas and others says that nothing is off limits. I have no political stance on this, just want to know if it is dangerous/people find it disrespectful for peoplke from the south to go into these commuinties and don't want any trouble so I'd avoid it if thats a possiblility. ANyone from Befast here, I welcome your imput!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

prodestant? peoplke??

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

I'm not from Belfast, but I know some people living up there.

I say don't let it put you off, just be careful and don't go looking for trouble. If you want to visit somewhere, you shouldn't be made to feel unwelcome just because you're from the south.

If Sam McCrory can walk around in West Belfast, you should be able to visit and view the murals of East Belfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Frankieb

ei.sdraob: I meant "protestant" and "people"; I think that is quite obvious. Sorry my typing is not up scratch but I didn't ask for your opinion on that, and I find your response pretty pathetic. I was asking a valid question- have you nothing better to do?
    Thanks DoireNod, I am defo not looking for trouble. I just want to walk around and see the murals but have heard from some corners that I should avoid the Shankill road, be careful what pubs you go to etc. but others say you are welcome to go where you wish

Frankieb wrote: »
    ei.sdraob: I meant "protestant" and "people"; I think that is quite obvious. Sorry my typing is not up scratch but I didn't ask for you opinion on that, and I find your response pretty pathetic. I was asking a valid question- have you nothing better to do?
    Exactly!
    Thanks DoireNod, I am defo not looking for trouble. I just want to walk around and see the murals but have heard from some corners that I should avoid the Shankill road, be careful what pubs you go to etc. but others say you are welcome to go where you wish
    No problem. Although I would say that it's probably better to avoid pubs in places that you and your buddies are unfamiliar with, especially if it will be in Belfast, because it's pretty 50/50. My friends and I have had so many problems with people when we tell them we're from Derry. "Don't you mean Londonderry?" and all that crap, from ignorant people looking for trouble. It's not worth the hassle. Walking down the streets during the day though - you should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Frankieb

Ok, so some people are touchy about things like that? If we go out in Belfast how do I know what pubs we can go to? I presumed my friends would just bring me out but now that I think about it I have no idea what religion they are or if they have any political stance, so I suppose a neutral area would be good. I know there are very republican pubs etc but I assumed there are lots of places where it doesn't matter- is this right? I don't want trouble, and to be honest any snide comments like you mentioned would just ruin my night

• Advertisement

In most of the main places, like the nightclubs in the Odyssey or the M Club and those clubs, there shouldn't be a problem, just stick with your friends, I'm sure they'll keep you right.

The last time I was up, I was kind of worried about using my Irish passport and college ID , since I'm not that familiar with the place, but there were no problems for me.

Try not to worry too much and enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

Right, so you're visiting Belfast to meet a few college friends - so just tag along with them to the usual student haunts and you'll have a blast without an ounce of trouble, unless you're looking for it of course.

What religion they are shouldn't be an issue if they are students - AFAIK students don't let bigotry get in the way of having good fun.

If you are true to yourself in saying that you are apolitical, I don't see too much harm in checking out some interesting areas. But again, as long as you're not looking for trouble and willing to keep an inconspicuous manner throughout.

Oh, and don't believe everything from the newsroom. Contrary to popular belief, many parts of NI have indeed reached the 21st Century and are willing to look to the future and not dwell on the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Stick to city centre pubs or ones on the falls.

Walking around Shankill will be no bother, just know your way around from google maps so ya don't have to ask for directions. First time I was there I made the mistake of forgetting about the peacewall and thinking I could walk onto the falls! Luckily for me the girlfriend was German and she asked for directions

Do not go into any pubs on Shankill/North Belfast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Being a northie i would reccomend doing the open bus tour that goes from the city centre, it will take you round the murals etc without any hassle.

Drink in the city centre you will have no hassle unless you run into muppets which are indigenous in all cities unfortunately. As for drinking in the falls/shankill areas i personally have never done it so cant comment but then that's not a political thing its just that the city centre has loads of good pubs so there is not need. Head up to student land and go to katy dalys its a nice spot.

Would treat it like I'd treat any city. Wouldn't really go into some kip in some rough estate in say London, if I had the choice of drinking in some nice spot that I knew was safe around there, or heading to the city centre. Wouldn't stand up and sing a rebel song there or make offensive comments about English people etc. etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Stick to city centre pubs or ones on the falls.

Do not go into any pubs on Shankill/North Belfast

Are the Prods/Brits that bad?

And wouldnt you be in the same boat on the Falls for fear of mingling with some ex provo folk?

Wouldn't go into a pub in either tbh.

Wouldn't go into rougher Irish bars in Kilburn or New York for that matter. Fellows from Black Sod Bay or Ballyferriter would put a screwdriver into you over a game of pool quicker than any English skinhead!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Camelot wrote: »
    Are the Prods/Brits that bad?

And wouldnt you be in the same boat on the Falls for fear of mingling with some ex provo folk?

People on the falls aren't going to take issue with a southern Irish accent across the bar. Ex paramilitaries of any kind were irrelevant to my advice on Shankill/North Belfast.

I'll assume for a moment your line of questioning is down to a lack of knowledge and not just smartarsery - ask any taxi driver in Belfast if its a good idea for a someone from the south to drink in the Shankill and come back and tell me what they say. (and perhaps avoid the provocative language)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Souljacker

Frankieb wrote: »
    Sorry if this is the wrong section, maybe travel would be better, but i thought someone around here may help. I am going to visit friends from college in Belfast and want to make a whole weekend out of it and do the tours, see the murals etc. My question is whether its acceptable for people from the south to go up the shankill road? I have had mixed responses from people I know- some have said you shouldnt open your mouth in prodestant areas and others says that nothing is off limits. I have no political stance on this, just want to know if it is dangerous/people find it disrespectful for peoplke from the south to go into these commuinties and don't want any trouble so I'd avoid it if thats a possiblility. ANyone from Befast here, I welcome your imput!

There's Black taxi tours are suppose to be pretty good, especially if you're looking to see a few murals and an overview of the troubles.

There are plenty of good pubs/clubs in the botanic Avenue (student area), The limelight, the egg, the bot, the empire, Laverys.. all which are completely apolitical.

If you're looking for non-studenty pubs The crown's worth seeing. It's owned by the national trust, has personal booths and a nice atmosphere.

During the day time there shouldn't be any problem walking up the shankill road (or the falls for that matter), as for drinking there personally speaking as a nordie not from belfast I wouldn't.

Enjoy your stay!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

dont forget your flak jacket and always move in a crouch, yer right. Northern ireland has moved on and i think you will find both the shankhill and the falls are well used to tourists be they free staters on the shankhill or english tourests on the falls. As with any city just use your common sense and you will be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 83,319 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well considering I keep my shoulders up when im in Dublin or Limerick already I don't see how Belfast would be any different :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You'll be fine
    I lived in East Belfast, never got a bit of hassle off anyone.

And do the black cab tour of the murals, it's great

Advertisement