Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would You Actually Vote for Bertie Ahern if He Ran For President?

• 25-09-2009 12:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

He's got a very likeable character about him, the common touch yada yada yada but the man is a crook who spends most of his time wining and dining, he now spends more time writing for the Sunday World than he does in the Dail :mad:

With the rumour circulating that he's considering running for president would you actually give him your vote?

Would You Vote For Bertie as President of Ireland? 63 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 63 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Yeah, it'd keep him out of the way

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

You have got to be kidding!
    No bloody way!

Anyone who would is a FOOL who has no place voting in the X-Facto...I mean Irish politics..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Why not.President does **** all anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Soby wrote: »
    Why not.President does **** all anyway

You need a civics lesson.

NO and a saying about steam and piss comes to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Would I vote for Ahern for President?

The only way I would vote for Ahern would be summarised by Corrosion of Conformity........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I'd do it just to fuck with people's minds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Bring back Dev, he'll know what to do about whatever it is we are currently worrying about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Yep, I would. We need someone that accurately represents Irish people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'd vote for him if he swallowed a hand grenade at his first presidential dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Ah isn't he lovely, the Haughey attitude hasn't gone away for some people then.

Davidius wrote: »
    Bring back Dev, he'll know what to do about whatever it is we are currently worrying about.

:confused:

He never left.

You're thinking of Vexorg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Voltwad wrote: »
    would you actually give him your vote?
    What's the difference between voting for him and "actually" voting for him? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

Yup I would bring him in....and set up the Aras as some sort of independent principality exempt from the rules of Ireland.....so that we can tax everything that comes out of it to 1980s levels - see how himself and his croney mates get on with that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Dev for president? Sure that's the whole point of boards, to get enough of the Irish population together in one place and then indoctirinate them to see Dev as a father figure. It's pretty much a 1984 kinda thing. The mods are the Thought Police who make sure you think in the correct way while the other admins are the Party officials and the Help Desk and Feedback forums acting as the Ministries of Truth and Love and PROC and Stormfront acting as Eurasia and Eastasia.

Dev Big Brother loves you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Jeremy Clarkson - Yes(Definitely)
    Dylan Moran - Yes
    Dara O'Briain - Yes
    Gay Byrne - Sure, why not?
    Bertie? Mmmm, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

If he ran for election and didn't get in they'd keep running them 'til he did.

Democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Bertie is a scumbag. The most corrupt leader Ireland has ever had, and we've had Haughey in charge. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Bertie

ahhh, the wise old man with the smirk.

he is too busy counting his pension after messing up the country over the last decade to be remotely worried about a new job tbh.

that and sourcing the finest facial cleansers and just for men products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I couldn't care less who was president, nearly anyone in Ireland and i wouldn't pay much attention. But if that corrupt wankbag got it, i would work and save like mad for a year, earn enough money for a small single seater airplane, get lessons, fill the thing with a 500kg homemade bomb and fly it into the Aras when i knew he was there.

• Advertisement

Cobblers, bring back Michael Collins, not the muppet that betrayed him.
    Collins wouldn't probably stand for the bullschite that is going on today!

Unlike the lazy docile sheep of this country, he'd get up off his ass and do something.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Thaedydal wrote: »
    You need a civics lesson.

NO and a saying about steam and piss comes to mind.

Interestingly enough, the same saying came to my mind...

Avril Doyle for president!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

This is what makes me weep for this country, as I guarantee that the people who would vote for him are the same people who think Cowen magically got us into this mess. Nothing to do with the taoiseach for the previous 10 years so. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I would vote no to Bertie for Pres. I tried to think of an alternative recent Irish politician to put forward instead but can't actually think of a single one. Maybe that nigerian refugee who became a mayor of portlaoise and turns out used to be a london tube driver. That would just about sum this country up imo.

The fact that so far 19 people have actually voted for him for what ever reason, depresses me even greater.
    I all my years (and I have clocked up quite a few) I have never been so despondent at the stupidity, idiocy and lackluster complacency of our nation and its people as they are today.

I will say it straight.
    Here is a man that was Charles Haughty's money man.
    He screwed the country and continues to screw it.
    Yet muppets out there will still reward him by voting for him and for all his questionable actions and too short answers - will still reward him!

* Muppets that at the same time wonder why FAS expenses money burning managers get stupid 1 Million pension payoffs...
    * Muppets that still sit on their asses and wince while our TD's take and take in expenses...
    * Muppets that allow our national government institutions to be interceded by an outside EU legal entity...
    * Muppets that scratch their heads wondering why Fianna Fail and their like still get elected - but they'd still vote for the like of this waste of space.
    * Muppets that still vote the same direction just because their father or ancestors did, out of a sense of outdated loyalty, when they just can't see or accept the concept that organisations can change course and go astray from their original vocation civic serving concept.

I have been personally fighting, challenging the state and the direction it heading for some time now. For personal reasons and for moral ones that effects the people of this nation I want my kids to grow up with.
    I am fighting a losing battle if only BECAUSE this nation is too self-indulgent now and frankly just too stupid and lazy.
    Because of the way things are heading (and I mean this), I have never been so daily depressed in my life.

When I see people still voting as they are doing above, it just increases my conviction that as a nation we have crossed our own "Rubicon" and are fcuked as a nation hereon in.

Its a personal sad, sad thing to admit and say but thats the state of things as they stand.
    The re-run of the referendum will add still to that state!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 focusfan

Yep, I would. We need someone that accurately represents Irish people.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

David Norris for President!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

23.60% voted YES for Bertie

:eek:

no wonder the country is fooked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Isn't it weird the way our glorious leader DeV, a man who is changing the face of Irish Society as we speak, goes by the same moniker as the previous glorious leader who changed the face of Irish Society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Oh dear God no. He'd strip all pubs of every single beer etc and replace them with Bass. *shudders*

Des wrote: »
    Isn't it weird the way our glorious leader DeV, a man who is changing the face of Irish Society as we speak, goes by the same moniker as the previous glorious leader who changed the face of Irish Society.

Dev's real name is Bertie?

Man, that's some coicidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

If it wasn't for the lingering stench of corruption and the bullsh1t stories about winning money on horses and not having bank accounts etc., I would vote for him for president all right. He has all the necessary qualities. And that's from someone who despised him politically.

But I could never vote for him for president after all the stuff that's come to light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Cthulu for president!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Could we elect Obama? Give me a type of dual manadate. Its only a part-time job really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Senna wrote: »
    i would work and save like mad for a year, earn enough money for a small single seater airplane, get lessons, fill the thing with a 500kg homemade bomb and fly it into the Aras when i knew he was there.

I voted NO, can I change that to a YES vote.

Not to put Bertie in, but to say I helped Senna kill himself :D

Kinda cool, a boards.ie suicide bomber.

"Allah Akbar" "Boards.ie is great".

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

The Irish Presidency is a joke & a waste of money. I say we do away with it altogether

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Personally I'd rather have my eyes scooped out with a mellon-baller than see him as President

I couldn't care less who was president, nearly anyone in Ireland and i wouldn't pay much attention. But if that corrupt wankbag got it, i would work and save like mad for a year, earn enough money for a small single seater airplane, get lessons, fill the thing with a 500kg homemade bomb and fly it into the Aras when i knew he was there.

Where do I send a donation!
    EDIT: I fcukin' serious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭bugler

The man is a pathological liar.

Bertie on his grilling by the Mahon Tribunal:
    My conscience is a million per cent clear. I just work week-by-week because that's the way it was. I didn't have any money. I still don't have any money.

How do you hold the type of well-paid positions he has for decades without having any money? Nevermind the pensions, the expenses, the dinner speaking circuit. Where has it all gone? He lies so hard in trying to show his innocence that he goes way overboard.

The man lied over knowing the price of a pint of milk. He's a living monument to grievous flaws of Irish politics. And the electorate never gave a ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Michael D Higgins would make a way better president.

He's like a kindly uncle. Great public speaker too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I would never vote for him. He's the biggest bluffer ever and he still hasn't answered all the questions about his financial past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭K-Ren

I think that some sort of foxy alien president of ambigious gender named Kwaglorg The Verile would be an excellent figure-head for the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I hear Declan Ganley is considering running for president!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Well, considering Hillery and Robinson were voted for, why not Ahern?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

isnt he that crook?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

if he ran he'd get in. and i honestly think that anyone that votes for a man who gave up the job of running the country so he wouldn't have to face the music for the crimes he's guilty of is an absolute cunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I would, it would be gas like.
    God... They should have never let me register to vote.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

He'll be in Hughes & Hughes Santry on 10th October if you don't have the patience to wait so long:
    http://www.hughesbooks.com/default.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

He'll be in Hughes & Hughes Santry on 10th October if you don't have the patience to wait so long:
    http://www.hughesbooks.com/default.asp

genericguy might be getting arrested on his birthday so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Gift Grub saved that mans life.

• Advertisement
Advertisement