Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The silencing of EU citizens

Options
  • 25-09-2009 12:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

So we know that the EU is spending bucket loads of money promoting a yes vote to the Lisbon treaty here in Ireland and we know that all the big company's want us to vote yes but does anyone have any idea how the people of other EU country's would like us to vote?

Isn't it interesting that we know about what intel,ryanair,microsoft want us to do but we dont seem to have a clue what other citizens of the EU think about our vote,we have little or no stats from any government in the EU regarding this

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

So we know that the EU is spending bucket loads of money promoting a yes vote to the Lisbon treaty here in Ireland and we know that all the big company's want us to vote yes but does anyone have any idea how the people of other EU country's would like us to vote?

Who cares how they would like us to vote? I'll vote in my country for the way I'd like to vote. I don't care if a French guy wants me to vote No or a German wants me to vote Yes.
    Isn't it interesting that we know about what intel,ryanair,microsoft want us to do but we dont seem to have a clue what other citizens of the EU think about our vote,we have little or no stats from any government in the EU regarding this

Intel, Ryanair & Microsoft hire thousands of people in Ireland and invest millions to our economy so I don't think it's unusual that they're interested in the outcome of the Lisbon treaty. How many huge employers want us to vote no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Captain Furball

Who cares how they would like us to vote? I'll vote in my country for the way I'd like to vote. I don't care if a French guy wants me to vote No or a German wants me to vote Yes.
    I would question how European you are so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

How much money are the EU spending exactly? Why would it matter how eother EU country's want us to vote. We are voting in Ireland on what's best for Ireland. They can decide what's best for them in their own country's.

No it's not interesting. Intel, Ryanair, Microsoft are in Ireland and employ thousands of Irish people.

And sorry who is being silenced exactly? You seem to be able to come in here and talk nonsense all you want.

I would question how European you are so.

Really? Question away. Does Europe want us to vote against our own interests? Would you vote for something that benefits Europe but has a negative affect on Ireland? Why?

Which Europeans do you listen to? The ones telling you to vote yes or the ones telling you to vote no because there are plenty of both. And why?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Perhaps some system of proxy referenda in the other 26 member states, a couple of months before polling day, just to give us an idea which way the wind is blowing? If that shows up a Yes, claim we're being railroaded. If it shows up a No, claim it's the will of the people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

EU citizens will have to live by this treaty if we pass it so they will have a little bit of interest in what is going on in Ireland and its their money that is being spent here in Ireland promoting a yes vote,its not an us and them..try and keep up

its not an us and them..try and keep up

Most of the EU has ratified this treaty as far as I can tell.
    Who said it was us and them?
    The attempt at wit doesn't really mean your post is smart. It's not hard to keep up with some of the wit here.

Robbo wrote: »
    Perhaps some system of proxy referenda in the other 26 member states, a couple of months before polling day, just to give us an idea which way the wind is blowing? If that shows up a Yes, claim we're being railroaded. If it shows up a No, claim it's the will of the people.

Nah,surely there would be an easier way?I would suggest a simple poll.you must be a bureaucrat...

Most of the EU has ratified this treaty as far as I can tell.
    Who said it was us and them?
    Some dutch dude or french guy im not sure.

Really? Question away. Does Europe want us to vote against our own interests? Would you vote for something that benefits Europe but has a negative affect on Ireland? Why?

Which Europeans do you listen to? The ones telling you to vote yes or the ones telling you to vote no because there are plenty of both. And why?
    I see what your trying to do saturate me with loads of questions lol.
    Who are Europe to tell you what to do? You said it yourself.
    What is our own interests though?Name a few.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry. Obviously many questions in one post confuse you. I'll make it simple and ask only one.

Are you for real?

Edit: Don't bother. I don't care. Not really worth it.

For the craic try to answer some of them.

I can't im not smart enough :(

Intel, Ryanair & Microsoft have made billions out of Ireland and will continue to do so,the truth is that intel,microsoft and ryanair have already let go 100's of staff here in very recent history but yet the bosses of these companys tell us that a yes vote will create jobs...LOL...need i say more about these captains of industry who only care about money

I can't im not smart enough :(

another one dealt with:D

Intel, Ryanair & Microsoft have made billions out of Ireland and will continue to do so,the truth is that intel,microsoft and ryanair have already let go 100's of staff here in very recent history but yet the bosses of these companys tell us that a yes vote will create jobs...LOL...need i say more about these captains of industry who only care about money

Maybe you should ask all the thousands of people they employ. Do you run a business? I do and I think the Lisbon treaty is very good. I don't exploit anyone, I don't cheat anyone, I don't underpay anyone so am I one of these 'elites'?

You people would drag us all back to the stone-age, I just hope that people won't be fooled by all the bull and will vote Yes.

meglome wrote: »
    How much money are the EU spending exactly? Why would it matter how eother EU country's want us to vote. We are voting in Ireland on what's best for Ireland. They can decide what's best for them in their own country's.
    And sorry who is being silenced exactly? You seem to be able to come in here and talk nonsense all you want.

Over the past 6 or 7 weeks all i seem to be reading on the front of national newspapers and all i seem to be hearing on the airwaves is about another group that favours a yes vote to lisbon thats a fact and that is what the major media outlets in this country have been telling us,another surey by another group another yes is concocted
    My point is that there has been so many surveys done in Ireland but i have not been made aware of 1 that comes from mainland europe,dont they conduct surveys on topics like this on the continent?are we all alone here?

Maybe you should ask all the thousands of people they employ. Do you run a business? I do and I think the Lisbon treaty is very good. I don't exploit anyone, I don't cheat anyone, I don't underpay anyone so am I one of these 'elites'?

You people would drag us all back to the stone-age, I just hope that people won't be fooled by all the bull and will vote Yes.

No i dont employ people.As for the rest of your little rant i never suggested you did any of the things you mentioned and i never said that any other company did,ease up on the gin

Over the past 6 or 7 weeks all i seem to be reading on the front of national newspapers and all i seem to be hearing on the airwaves is about another group that favours a yes vote to lisbon thats a fact and that is what the major media outlets in this country have been telling us,another surey by another group another yes is concocted
    My point is that there has been so many surveys done in Ireland but i have not been made aware of 1 that comes from mainland europe,dont they conduct surveys on topics like this on the continent?are we all alone here?

Ah I see anyone who disagrees with you is lying, a cheat, an elite. I dunno, maybe you're just wrong.

Every country in the EU decided what way they wanted to vote on the Lisbon treaty in the manner set out by their laws. We need a referendum, they don't. What right do we have to decide what the rest of the EU wants?

When anyone from the EU suggests that we should vote Yes we are told they are 'bullying us' so are we now bullying the rest of the EU by trying to decide for them?

Ah I see anyone who disagrees with you is lying, a cheat, an elite. I dunno, maybe you're just wrong.

Every country in the EU decided what way they wanted to vote on the Lisbon treaty in the manner set out by their laws. We need a referendum, they don't. What right do we have to decide what the rest of the EU wants?

When anyone from the EU suggests that we should vote Yes we are told they are 'bullying us' so are we now bullying the rest of the EU by trying to decide for them?

Hold on..wait a sec...Lying,cheat,elete?what are you on about?are you posting in the wrong thread??sorry friend but im gonna have to report you to a mod for not staying on topic,did you have a good Arthurs day?i only ask because it sounds like you did

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Are you claiming the EU are funding the Yes campaign in Ireland?

I think some evidence wouldn't go amiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

OP, are you claiming the EU are funding the Yes campaign in Ireland?

We know the EU are funding leaflets.

The UKIP ones!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Hold on..wait a sec...Lying,cheat,elete?what are you on about?are you posting in the wrong thread??sorry friend but im gonna have to report you to a mod for not staying on topic,did you have a good Arthurs day?i only ask because it sounds like you did
    He likes to be different people.
    Give him a break he has a long shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭TheScribbler

At least you guys get the opportunity to vote even if the EU gives you another shot at it because you clearly didn't understand the issues last time around (being ironic). In our case the Blair/Brown Labour Government refused to give the electorate in GB & NI any say on Lisbon and it is hugely unpopular. Roll on Cameron as he has promised to give the public a vote.

OP, are you claiming the EU are funding the Yes campaign in Ireland?

I didn't think this was a secret,what was José Manuel Barroso doing here during the week and who paid for that?

I didn't think this was a secret,what was José Manuel Barroso doing here during the week and who paid for that?

I have no idea. You tell me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

what are you on about at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭TheScribbler

There was an interesting take on the impending irish elections given in the Sunday Times a week ago that was suggestive that the Yes campaign was being publicly funded in Ireland. Is this appropriate that taxpayers should be payhing for governemtn publicity to urge the people to say Yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

There was an interesting take on the impending irish elections given in the Sunday Times a week ago that was suggestive that the Yes campaign was being publicly funded in Ireland. Is this appropriate that taxpayers should be payhing for governemtn publicity to urge the people to say Yes?

Check out the UKIP intereference.

Seems it's ok when when UKIP are involved.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

In fairness, without further information we can't really comment.

Advertisement