Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missed period... When will pregnancy test give accurate result?

Options
  • 25-09-2009 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

Hey all, I was due my period on sunday just gone it's now thursday, I always have 28 day cycle and never over 30 days so I am wondering could I be? I am also having a dull ache in lower left abdomen area too what could be causing this? When will pregnancy test work? Thanks and pray for me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

A pregnancy test at this stage should work, especially if you use your first morning urine (it's most concentrated). However, for some women, the pregnancy hormones take a while to show up so if it's negative and you are still not getting your period, try again 3-4 days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭LaLucy

Thank you. I am anxious to know! But I'll leave it until monday or tuesday.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Get a First Response one. Should show up the hormone pretty well from the day after your period was due as they are very sensitive. If you've a regular cycle there's no reason not to test today.

Obviously in some people the hormones are weaker than others but it would be rare enough for that test not to give a result at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Am really hoping that it all works out for you - for me the digital tests were best as there is no doubt, though they are very expensive. Hugs. I would also test today, especially if your cycle is regular.

Well I still have not got my period and I have not taken a test yet. I'm scared! My boobs are feeling a tiny bit heavier but I could be imagining it. Oh god! Better get a test on monday or is there I could get one tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Tesco/Dunnes etc sell pregnancy tests... Also if there's a Boots nearby they'll sell pregnancy tests also!

They never seem to have them in tesco do they have them there at night because I might just go there now am dying to find out.

They always have them up near where the condoms/vitamins are...

Well it was a good result after.. I'm pregnant :)

Well it was a good result after.. I'm pregnant :) please pray for me and hope my baby will make it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I kind of guessed and hoped you would be - brilliant news!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Congratulations lady!

Hope this one sticks.

Xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

LaLucy wrote: »
    Well it was a good result after.. I'm pregnant :) please pray for me and hope my baby will make it

I don't want to high jack your great news, congrats.

My wife is also late 4 or 5 days now, she took a first response test but its negative. Still no period though.

Question for you LaLucy how long did you leave it after your predicted period day to test.

Hi there. I tested about 9 days afterwards. I originally aimed to leave it for 2 weeks after but could not handle the anticipation anymore. So I would say your wife should leave it a few more days and then re-test. If negative go to the doctor as apparently she could be pregnant but not have produced enough pregnancy hormone for it to show up. Good luck and I sincerely hope you get the result you want!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭GalwayDub2

Congrats!!!:D

Congratulations :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 molly_corr76

Hi all,
    I'm at my wits end. I just done my 2nd test this morning first thing and came back negative again. I done my first one over a week ago and that was also negative. I'm over 2 weeks late and i'm usually like clock work. I stopped taking the pill back in september and my preiods just went to normal after i stopped and never had problems with them before. I do hope i am pregnant but very hard trying not to get my hopes up about it.
    I'm not stressed or under pressure in work if anything i'm very laid back person so dont know what to do.
    I have very light tender breasts nothing major though but nothing compared to what i get when i'm due my periods.

Anyone have any idea what could be going on. Want the visit to the doc to be my last resort because i hate needles and all that stuff.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

What tests are you using? Some tests detect lower levels of the pregnancy hormone than others so you could be pregnant but the tests you are using aren't detecting it. However, I should have thought that after 2 weeks if you were pregnant, levels should be high enough for all tests to work.

Could you be stressing yourself out so much that its causing your period to be late? Or are there other things going on in your life at the minute that are causing you stress?

I would go and see your GP, they can do a blood test to see if you are pregnant if all urine tests are coming back negative. It'd be worth getting a preconceptual check up anyway, and if you're not up to date with your smear tests you should think about having one. I know you say you're not keep on needles and all that stuff but wouldn't it be worth going just to know!

Good Luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 molly_corr76

Hi, i done 2 first response tests. I'm up to date on my smear tests as my doc is always making sure i have them. I'm not stressed out in anyway i'm not playing in my head that i am pregnant i'm kinda just going with the flow but am kinda annoying to as to where my periods are. I'm only 33 so they can't be drying up yet so hugley confused. I'm going to go to the family clinic at the weekend as my doc dont open then so hopefully that'll give me more of a answer.

Will let you know the answer when i find out.
    Thanks for your reply.;)

Advertisement