Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Female discrimination.

• 25-09-2009 2:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭

I like this; I feel it underlines many of the rage-inducing double standards that exist in our society today:

May be old, I dunno...

Female discrimination List
    - Discriminations I have as a woman, that "others" - mostly men - don't have.

1. I’m not expected to engage in risky, dangerous and unhealthy behaviours - one of the reasons I get to live longer than others do, but I am then excluded from a range of sports and other activies or if I do them suffer being called a dyke and strange but yet still I am expected to endure childbirth which is risky and dangerous and can damage my body in ways which it will never recover.

2. I get stuck with professions that are less lucrative, and not am not expected to excel in them or I just get paid less no matter what.

3. If I can't rise to the top of my profession, – people just accept that and never look for the glass ceilings for other reasons in which the workplace and it's male ethos prevents it.

4. I’m entitled to the benefits of a safe, orderly society,and I pay my taxes to maintain it and if I choose to want to be a garda or ET or fire fighter I am considered a freak.

5. I have the right to have the overwhelming majority of personal risk suffered in defence of my country handled by others the same as anyone else but if I want to have a career in the defence forces it is impossible to rise up the ranks at all.

6. I’m allowed to avoid violence, and even run from it, without the risk I’ll be laughed at, unless it is partner abuse or sexual assulat and then I will be told I am asking for it.

7. If I see someone else in danger, I’m allowed to stop and think carefully about my personal risk before saving them, without my courage being called into question, like everyone else but I am not considered competent or strong enough to be a threat to protect myself never mind anyone else.

8. I have the right to avoid risky, dangerous challenges, and not be called a coward but if I take them on I am considered a ball breaker, trying to be a man and there for un dateable and unweddable.

9. I’m allowed to cry as long as I never expect anyone who seems me cryng to ever take me seriously again and to have to deal with them thinking I am trying to emotionally black mail them.

10. I have the right to have most of the really dangerous professions handled by others and if I want to take them up I get people thinking I am mentally unstable.

11. If I commit a crime, I get less jail time than others would get for the exact same crime but depending on the crime I may get more due to me as a woman being that unnatrual an act where as a man will get less time for the same act.

12. When I find myself with others in a terrifying, life-threatening situation, I have the right to be evacuated first, once the children are safe. This goes wiht having a womb, so does the pain, embarrassment of suffering periods and all the pressure and stress of having to be responsible for contraception and enduring all it's side effects.

13. If I get slaughtered as part of some atrocity, people will be especially outraged and will call particular attention to the fact I was slaughtered. When others are slaughtered, it isn't quite as upsetting and so I am not allowed serve as an equal in battle lines which harms my career prospects.

14. I have the right to give my child up for adoption, and thus totally repudiate any personal and financial responsibilities I might otherwise have.
    I don't have the right to have an abortion and so much suffer the physical aspects of pregnancy and everyone knowing I gave up the child for adoption which again makes me unnatrual.

15. I can't choose whether I want to be a parent or not, knowing that family and society will compel me to keep the child whether I want to or not.

16. If I am personally attacked, I expect that people thinking I was asking for it and that the guy is my bf to ignore what is going on as it's a domestic.

17. If I see someone else being attacked, I’m not expected to risk my own safety to defend them. It's OK for me to wait for others to intervene as I am able to and if I try to get others to help I am interfering.

18. In any dispute involving custody, I’m granted the presumption that I am the better, safer parent even when I am not and when I may not want full custody and I am considered mentally and emotionally wrong if I don't want to be the full time parent.

19. I have the right to interact with children not my own, and not have people look at me suspiciously and people expect me to want to interact with thier kids even if I do not want to and expressing that I do not want to or that I do not want kids makes them think there is something wrong with me and will tell me I will grow out of it and I am selfish.

20. If I choose to become a parent, people understand if I want to focus entirely on the personal, day-to-day care and nurturing of my children. Society expects my spouse to make enough money to make this choice possible and so I am burdened with the childcare and always being the parent who takes time of and is on point for all drs, dentist and school meetings to the detriment of my career that is if I can get back to work after maternity leave and the gap in work experience and if there is good affordable child care.

21. When I someone makes me mad, and I give out esp when they are not doing their job after al, I have the right to expect others to pull their weight in work, I will be asked if it is that time of the month. If I have to say harsh things and be assertive I will be called aggressive and have people make jokes about this and refuse to work with me and make life awkward as possible.

22. I’m allowed to embrace and cultivate my spiritual qualities, and adopt a more elevated and more refined view of life -anything to block out the drudger of always being the one to clean the oven, the toilet, clean up the piss, puke and crap in the house and as a nurse, a cleaner, a home help ect and despite being able to handle all the "dirty work" like: there are still jobs I am told are not for me yard work, garbage hauling, construction, fishing, mining, sewage disposal, street cleaning, long distance trucking, baggage handling, painting, sandblasting, and cement work.

23. If I fail at something, I can go to college and study the historical forces and social constructs that make it harder for people like me as the subjects of science, tech and engineering and maths are too hard for people like me. .

24. If I fail at almost everything, I can always teach college courses that explain why people like me fail a lot but I can't stand up and try change things and make a fuss as I will be told I am need to get laid or get a husband and focus on the important things like ironing his shirt and having his kids.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Seriously, after the other thread was locked, Why??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement