Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus - Prats

Options
  • 25-09-2009 2:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

Been putting off this for a bit and wasn't sure if it belongs here or R&R.. Anyhow..

The 70.
    Please for the love of god can someone explain to me why the drivers on this route always seem to have a more important agenda other than serving their routes?

honestly

15.20 to Hawkins st. bus has become so bad at arriving in Dunboyne, late, Going 'out of service' and leaving passengers in Blanch to try get on a crowded 39/ 38.

The only excuse for this I have seen was the day of the bus/luas accident but any other time is pathetic.

The 17.10 has also become famous for this.. Arriving late, going 'out of service' and doing as the above.

A friend suggested the drivers shift may have ended but why not have a standby bus or driver instead of in essense 'not turning up' becaus afterall the service is not there.

The lateness I can understand to a point except when we're talking 20mins late and this attitude off the drivers ugh.
    Today the driver stood there to make sure any other buses let us on.. ok but in the time that took we would've been a almost on the quays.

I've written a letter complaining but I expected it'll be fobbed off.

So. Can anyone explain why DB have a timetable up if their not arsed to actually use it?

edit: Please don't reply with "well at least they dropped you to blanch", as it's still unacceptable
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

If the traffic is bad in one direction causing a 5-10 min delay that's not too bad. The drivers know when to rush into the city when they want to.
    There is 70mins allocated for the journey so making it into Dublin and changing to another bus route shouldn't be an issue. It's not that hard to do especially on the inbound side.

If the bus is late. It's late. Cancelling the service is no use and a pain in the hole for commuting.

Obviously I don't expect the bus to arrive dead on time but anything over 10mins from the norm is a bit petty unless something has happened like the luas/bus crash

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

To be fair to the OP, dropping passengers in Blanch and expecting them to find their own way for the rest of the trip, simply because DB can't maintain a schedule is ridiculous - and I disagree with this constant excuse of traffic as in my experience, and I lived in Blanch for 5 years, it doesn't matter WHAT day or time it is, the buses (especially the 39) will still not run on time!

Plus, unless things have changed that much, the 39 doesn't go to Dunboyne anyway, so what "connecting buses" are passengers supposed to get - the NEXT 70 maybe?

There's also the issue that a 2nd bus means a 2nd fare - or is the 70 driver radioing his colleagues to let them know there's a bunch of stranded passengers in Blanch with tickets for Dunboyne and that they should accept them (I doubt it!!)

No, this is yet another example of DB not being able to provide the service they're charted to, and people can blame traffic, or shortage of buses/drivers etc all they want, but it doesn't change the fact that the real underlying reason is that the service is setup to suit the drivers and staff, not the customers!

EDIT: Just re-read the OP and he means coming FROM Dunboyne, but the point still holds, if someone gets on a bus and pays a fare, they're entitled to expect they'll be brought wherever they've paid to, not have to make their own way in (and pay again) halfway through the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    a 2nd bus means a 2nd fare - or is the 70 driver radioing his colleagues to let them know there's a bunch of stranded passengers in Blanch with tickets for Dunboyne and that they should accept them (I doubt it!!)..........

......... (and pay again) halfway through the trip.
    Usually the driver will radio the controller who will contact the other relevant bus and explain the situation. They won't have to pay again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭Polar101

congo_90 wrote: »

The 70.
    Please for the love of god can someone explain to me why the drivers on this route always seem to have a more important agenda other than serving their routes?

I doubt the driver is responsible for traffic, or whatever instructions he gets from the "HQ". If you have ideas on how to fix the situation, I'm sure Dublin Bus would appreciate the solution.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

You could always refuse to get off and quote the charter.

Make a show of taking details time, bus number etc so at least driver can see you gathering info for a complaint.

Polar101 wrote: »
    I doubt the driver is responsible for traffic, or whatever instructions he gets from the "HQ". If you have ideas on how to fix the situation, I'm sure Dublin Bus would appreciate the solution.

Well again no-one has explained why they go out of service. I've travelled on many routes. Some of which were late yet they would still continue to run that journey in an attempt to make up for lost time.

You just said it there. The 70 mins allocated time on the timetable is typically a max time it should take to allow passengers to estimate time of arrival. Being a car driver, I know traffic can be bad around Dunboyne due to road works, schools etc but it's not as bad as its ever been. It's the same volume of traffic as this time last year.

Nobody has still come up with a good reason as to whythey go out of service and not try make up lost time which is easy on the inbound side granted the average inbound time is... 50 minutes out of estimated 70

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

When i was on the 45's a few years back we would be told to go 'OOS' out of service to make it into town for our next trip.

Not enough running time!

Any Phibs drivers here know the running time of the 70? (and the true time it needs!!)

• Advertisement

Some of them are like that where they are the next bus back if that makes sense but during peak hours 16:00 onwards, you can see several 70's heading away from dublin ( 70, 70A, 70X).

It be interesting to see the actual running times. Perhaps a driver could clarify the issue?

Advertisement