Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A third referendum under Fine Gael?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

isocket wrote: »
    I see, that clears it up then, lol.
    Here's a little question for you.
    If the Supreme Court decided that it was anti-democratic to end a multiple series of referenda on the return of a YES vote, would you agree to that?
    Of course you would'nt.
    Go sip some Chardonnay & talk about your shares!

The Supreme Court doesn't, and won't rule, "that it was anti-democratic to end a multiple series of referenda on the return of a YES vote". The Supreme Court's ruling isn't based on the result of referenda, it is based on Bunreacht na hEireann which specifies that it is the Oireachtas' decision when, and if, to hold referenda.

I respect the decision by the majority of the electorate when they choose - in a referendum - to ratify Bunreacht na hEireann. Unlike, many on the No side, I am not in effect claiming that Bunreacht na hEireann is wrong because I don't like the decisions being made based on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

The constitution of Ireland's actually a reasonably quick read for anyone who hasn't bothered (and I know there are definitely a few of you in this thread). It's worth reading.

Don't be fooled by the size of the book, you only have to read every second page.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Rb wrote: »
    We'll come out looking like a nation of absolute anti-European idiots if a No is returned this time. If we had any further semi-legitimate concerns that we could have them address then I would certainly welcome a third vote.

Hopefully there's enough reasonable, intelligent people in the country to pull a Yes through this time and thankfully it's looking good so far.
    meglome wrote: »
    You know that's it exactly. I've been listening to some posters in here for weeks and I still can't quite figure out why they are voting No. Well other than some fantasy vision that the EU is the devil or some fantasy vision of what 'independence' is.

Guys...if you're attempting to convince people to vote yes, I would suggest that this is the wrong way to go about it.

If, on the other hand, you're only trying to insult people who would vote no, then as a moderator I'd tell you that you're in the wrong place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

bonkey wrote: »
    Guys...if you're attempting to convince people to vote yes, I would suggest that this is the wrong way to go about it.

If, on the other hand, you're only trying to insult people who would vote no, then as a moderator I'd tell you that you're in the wrong place.
    It's neither. It is, however, quite a genuine concern.

Last time round Europe looked at us and said "Ok, you're against it, what is it in the treaty you don't like?" and we dug deep and found a few reasons that we were "concerned" about thanks to the fear mongering campaigns of some of the parties involved.

This time round, if we vote No, they will want to know why. "I didn't know anything about it, it's the gubberments fault so I voted No", "ABORTION!!!", "YOU'RE GONNA CONSCRIPT ME CHILDREN!" etc etc will not cut it. We have yet to be shown one good reason to vote no that has basing in the treaty and the EU will want answers.

Are the No side selling the treaty based on fact? No, in fact now their entire campaign lies in clinging to two statements made by the Yes side on their posters. Their entire campaign, they literally have nothing else but these two statements and a library of lies that they're seeing be debunked daily by people far more educated than those making them.

So yes, it is a genuine concern. What will we say to Europe if we vote No?

I wouldn't bother trying to insult people advocating a No on here because for the most part their posts do far more damage to their image/points than anything I could ever say really.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Some people are voting No for exactly this reason. Suppose you can't please all the people, all the time.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

bonkey wrote: »

It's a fair point bonkey but I'm with Rb on this. I'm really not trying to insult anyone.

Advertisement