Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viable development in Cork in the .....

Options
  • 25-09-2009 3:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi,
    Can anyone think of a large scale development that is in anyway viable in Cork. Need to find a good site and a large/complex development and go through the development process from feasibility to contracts for it for a final year college project.

My ideas have all turned out infeasible so far basically cos hard to justify need for anything in the recession. so just wondering if anyone had any serious ideas for a site and/or public/private large development that is needed or would make financial sense.

Thanks,
    bamboozler bamboozled

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I'm not sure what you're asking here.

Are you supposed to identify an area of the city yourself and come up with a development plan or are you looking for something that is being developed at the moment so you can view what they are doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ringaskiddy?

What course are you doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

How about flattening some of the estates by CIT and making multi storey car parks out of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭bamboozler

dogbert27 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you're asking here.

Are you supposed to identify an area of the city yourself and come up with a development plan or are you looking for something that is being developed at the moment so you can view what they are doing?

Im supposed to identify a site and actually develop something on it which would be realistic and financially viable. Only thing is you cant copy any previous plans on the site for the development you choose, e.g if a planning application was made on the site for hotel, i cant propose a hotel.

Victor wrote: »
    Ringaskiddy?

What course are you doing?

That might be a bit far from city cos wouldn't be familiar with the area and be able able to assess the infrastructure. Im in final year honours degree in Construction management in CIT.

wrote: »
    How about flattening some of the estates by CIT and making multi storey car parks out of them?

Dankoozy i think maybe a bit extreme so dont think its viable.

Basically im just looking for ideas for some large scale development, could be a school, a shopping centre, a private hospital, sports complex etc., just an area where its needed, it can be built and would make money or would justify Gov funds cos it serves the public.

I could always propose a new dole office as current one is always full or could just drop out and go down there myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

a conference / concert venue. Most builders and city mgmt in cork have wanted to build one for a while but site a bit of a prob. Depended on ministry of transport giving some land by the train station or planning permission given for it in mahon which would prob necessitate a second blackrock/mahon south link access point.

other idea maybe some sort of improved transport infrastucture

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭dez_warlock

How about the building of a new school in Rathcormac. There's already lots of lobbying going on to get it built as it's badly needed and apparently they have even found a suitable site to build it on. Might be worth looking into anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

bamboozler wrote: »
    Hi,
    Can anyone think of a large scale development that is in anyway viable in Cork. Need to find a good site and a large/complex development and go through the development process from feasibility to contracts for it for a final year college project.

My ideas have all turned out infeasible so far basically cos hard to justify need for anything in the recession. so just wondering if anyone had any serious ideas for a site and/or public/private large development that is needed or would make financial sense.

Thanks,
    bamboozler bamboozled

Is your real name O'Callaghan??:D

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭RJC

Yes,

pick some public infrastructure (new water treatment plant for the city using groundwater) or a school. These are viable when you consider long term growth and finance options. the rates of return on these are lower but acceptable and the 'socio-economic need' can be factored into the price as well.

Advertisement