Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Card

Options
  • 25-09-2009 4:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭

Where do I go to get a student cards!?

Chinqui.

borat-high-five.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Student Centre, upstairs. Rooms 1-3 I think. If it's your first time you need some other photo ID such as a passport or driving license.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

bnt wrote: »
    Student Centre, upstairs. Rooms 1-3 I think. If it's your first time you need some other photo ID such as a passport or driving license.

Nah it's the second, just havn't had the time to get it for one reason or another!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

It might be back in Admin at this stage. Student centre is normally just used for first few weeks of term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Today is the last day for collection in the student centre, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Since the question has been answered, I'm gonna hijack this. What's everyone's take on the non-expiring student card? Supposedly it's saving the college €40,000 a year, but it precludes us from getting most student discounts. I'm gonna use my existing Student Travel Card until December, not sure after that. I suppose it's hard to argue with a saving that size, but it still gets me when I see the waste of money around campus.

Plus the card looks weird with no date, and I want my 'Stage 5' written on it so I feel special dammit! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Zuffer

Breezer wrote: »
    Since the question has been answered, I'm gonna hijack this. What's everyone's take on the non-expiring student card?

I reckon it is a good thing. It saves UCD money. The primary purpose of the card is so you can be identified in UCD (and at exams, etc), as a UCD student. It is not UCD's 'problem' if third parties who used to also use it for discounts, etc, stop doing so.

To be honest, I think the withdrawal of discount story is a bit of hype anyway. People fear change. I'm not saying there won't be a few isolated incidents of refusal, but I don't foresee a big problem. If the alternative is not getting student business from any UCD students, retailers will adapt somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

I suppose it's hard to argue with a saving that size, but it still gets me when I see the waste of money around campus

In 2007, UCD spent €351,897,000. That's €352m.

€40k runs UCD for less than an hour.

In 2007, UCD spent €351,897,000. That's €352m.

€40k runs UCD for less than an hour.

Come on, you know that is a weakass argument. A saving is a saving, even if it is not huge in the overall context. Lots of small savings can add up.

Is the cost of issuing new student cards every year less than the benefit? That's the question. I say no. I think the added benefit of a new card each year is low. I think the hype about losing out on student discounts is just that, hype. We have the technology, save the €40k.

I could be wrong. New student cards every year could be super-valuable, necessary in today's fast and ever changing world. But that's not what you said.

If there was an annual 'Let's burn 40K' bonfire in front of the library, would you say the same thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Zuffer wrote: »
    I think the hype about losing out on student discounts is just that, hype.

My fianceé is American, her student card has no expiry date as she gets one for her whole course. She was refused student discount in cineworld as it had no expiry date, and they couldn't verify that she was presently a student. I was there, I saw this happen.

So it's not entirely hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

I'm a postgrad in UCD but I just finished my degree in Maynooth. They started issuing us with course long student cards when I was in 2nd year and they had an expiry date on them of the year we were due to graduate. Don't see why UCD couldn't have done the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Hmm if UCD managed to get their cards the same status as the student travelcard and charged half of what the STC costs they would make 150,000 a year...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

would they get you into a nightclub???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

just lost my student card :( i think in the SU Area underneath the library, who can i ask to see if they found it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

If there was an annual 'Let's burn 40K' bonfire in front of the library, would you say the same thing?
    At least that would be sorta funny. :p

Well, I would turn out to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Bobsammy wrote: »
    I'm a postgrad in UCD but I just finished my degree in Maynooth. They started issuing us with course long student cards when I was in 2nd year and they had an expiry date on them of the year we were due to graduate. Don't see why UCD couldn't have done the same.
    I'd thought of this myself. I suppose the argument would be "what if you dropped out?" Deposit on the student card I guess?
    errlloyd wrote: »
    Hmm if UCD managed to get their cards the same status as the student travelcard and charged half of what the STC costs they would make 150,000 a year...
    Very interesting idea. How does this work actually, do the STC people pay CIE a fee to have exclusive recognition of their card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Also, if you repeat a year, you'd need to get one reissued.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Could also raise an issue for research postgrads who apply for a 3 or 4 year course, but take a little longer to finish.
    KeyLimePie wrote: »
    just lost my student card :( i think in the SU Area underneath the library, who can i ask to see if they found it ?

You could try the SU shop, the library security guards or services in the Arts block.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Do we have to go to the tierney building to get this years student card now? Through sheer laziness I never went into the student centre to get mine. I presume I wont have to pay considering it's my first of the year...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Very interesting idea. How does this work actually, do the STC people pay CIE a fee to have exclusive recognition of their card?

Hmm I don't think so, although it seems the CIE system is tailored to the Student Travel Card. When you buy a 30 day ticket the number of your STC gets put on the ticket. So I guess you wouldn't be able to do it that way, unless UCD worked out some sort of deal. Its an absolute mock that I can't use my USIT (international) student card in Dublin...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Do we have to go to the tierney building to get this years student card now? Through sheer laziness I never went into the student centre to get mine. I presume I wont have to pay considering it's my first of the year...

Yep, you have to go to the Tierney building. And you won't have to pay for the card unless it's a replacement one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Rosita

Is the cost of issuing new student cards every year less than the benefit? That's the question. I say no. I think the added benefit of a new card each year is low. I think the hype about losing out on student discounts is just that, hype. We have the technology, save the €40k.

I'm not sure cost v benefit quite does it without recourse to the actual nature of the figures. What exactly does this 40k entail? Is this a paper cost or an actual cost that will genuinely go away if the cards are not required? Is there someone earning 40k who can be let go if everyone does not need a new card? And if so who does the cards for next year's first years?

On the face of it having the same card seems much handier for the short time people are in college, but I would be very surprisedif it made a difference of 40k to the bottom line. I suspect this is a cost that is part and parcel of some other larger ongoing cost and has been calculated for these purposes. But I am happy to stand corrected if someone has the detail.

Advertisement