Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Connect disabled?

Options
  • 25-09-2009 6:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

Hi, I graduated from UCD in August 08 and I continued to use my UCD Connect email for jobs and have it tied with credit cards through Paypal and a whole range of other stuff.

Today, I went to sign in and it told me my account was disabled. I've sent an email to Tech Help but this is really screwing me over right now as I was using it as my main communication for emails about job applications .

I thought my UCD Connect account was a permanent thing? Or at least they should've given me some warning before blocking access - I'm very annoyed right now.

Is anyone else having this problem? Is my account disabled permanently now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I definitely recall reading that they do disable it after you leave, but they can be very slow (years) to do so.

Can you get to your email directly (https://imap.ucd.ie/ or by a mail client)? If you're truly locked out and can't get in, talk to IT Services. (What are we going to do here?)

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

No offence OP but it would make sense to try and set up a permanent e-mail especially for the likes of jobs and accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

At best you might be allowed log in for a day or so, but yeah, no more access to the account if you've graduated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭idiottje

I had a quick look at their "Acceptable usage policy" and it says
    "Only staff of the University, registered students or other approved users may take use of the universities computer resources that are not available to the general public.".

Pretty clear to me you are not entitled .....

Trinity give accounts for life I think, but I think they use g-mail??

Edit:
    I just called them, and they are re-enabling my account until Monday October 5th ......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

They've reactivated my account for a week so it looks like I'll be able to grab everything I need, but its not like it was draining their financial resources to keep my old email alive.

There's so many things tied into the account though, I don't even know where to start.

(The email said that I was only allowed use UCD Connect for 200 days after I graduated. Booo.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Umaro wrote: »
    They've reactivated my account for a week so it looks like I'll be able to grab everything I need, but its not like it was draining their financial resources to keep my old email alive.

There's so many things tied into the account though, I don't even know where to start.

(The email said that I was only allowed use UCD Connect for 200 days after I graduated. Booo.)

It is not just an email account you get with connect. They can't let people that are not in the college take advantage of the resources available. With connect you can use the library (access to expensive online journals for example.). Plus the system is prone to collapse when there are too many users online at the same time, so if everybody who ever went to UCD were to retain access, it would always be down.

Plus if you are using an email account with UCD in it, it does kind of imply that you are a student there. It is a resource for UCD students only.

I agree though that they could be a bit more open about how long you have access. Lots of people say that they didn't know they loose access. My class was told but it seems not everybody gets the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Plus if you are using an email account with UCD in it, it does kind of imply that you are a student there. It is a resource for UCD students only.
    TO be more accurate - students get ucdconnect.ie, staff get ucd.ie. I don't know what PhD candidates get, but it would make sense for them to get ucd.ie addresses of they're going to be publishing papers etc.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Glad you've got some sort of solution, and thanks for posting this OP. I've been wondering about this for a while. I still have a year and a half left in UCD but I've started migrating stuff across to Gmail; it'll take a while since pretty much everything currently comes into my Connect account. Thanks for the heads up, I was never too sure of this one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭idiottje

Breezer wrote: »
    Glad you've got some sort of solution, and thanks for posting this OP. I've been wondering about this for a while. I still have a year and a half left in UCD but I've started migrating stuff across to Gmail; it'll take a while since pretty much everything currently comes into my Connect account. Thanks for the heads up, I was never too sure of this one!

You can't use G-mail to access your Connect account directly, because Connect is an IMAP account, BUT you can set an auto-forward in Connect to your G-mail account, so all your new mail will go directly there. The college are a bit funny replying to a non UCD Connect account if you have a question though. I'm using Thunderbird, and just added my Connect account to that, and dragged everything to a local file. It was quick too!!!! I also use Thunderbird to get my G-mail. Might be helpful to you .......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Oh I just meant I'm giving people my Gmail address and using it to sign up for stuff instead of my UCD one. Thanks though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Umaro wrote: »

Same here - account activated until October 5th. I think it's a bit ridiculous that they don't give any notice - whoosh, your email account is suddenly gone. I actually need that address for something in the coming weeks, but hey nothing I can do.

It's crap. I have a DCU account for life (and I didn't even graduate from that course) so I assumed the UCD one would be the same.

Bleh. Silly UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

idiottje wrote: »
    You can't use G-mail to access your Connect account directly, because Connect is an IMAP account, BUT you can set an auto-forward in Connect to your G-mail account, so all your new mail will go directly there. The college are a bit funny replying to a non UCD Connect account if you have a question though. I'm using Thunderbird, and just added my Connect account to that, and dragged everything to a local file. It was quick too!!!! I also use Thunderbird to get my G-mail. Might be helpful to you .......

Not quite on topic but you can make gmail pull your ucd mail directly off the server, without having to set the auto forward option from within ucd mail.

One reason you might want to do this (the reason I did this) is if you want to tag all your UCD mail within gmail, it is easier to tag them as you retrieve them.

I had a filter set up that would scan incoming mail (including mail that was being forwarded) to tag anything containing "myfirstname.mysecondname@ucdblablabla". This worked if the mail was sent directly to my ucd account, but NOT if it was part of a mass mail where the recipient list was hidden. Gmail couldn't see my address as it was being auto forwarded, and it didn't get tagged.

Anyway, to make gmail access your ucd mail do this within gmail:

Settings->Accounts and Import->Add POP 3 email account
    type your ucd email address

in the next dialog, your username* is whatever you sign into the UCD machines with, as is your password.
    you want to put "studentmail.ucd.ie" as the POP Server, and Port 110.

I suggest you label incoming mail with something suitable, so you can spot easily that it's ucd mail and not gmail mail. I leave the other 3 boxes blank.

*This works for both ucdconnect.ie addresses, and for ucd.ie addressed. I might be mistaken, but I think ucd.ie addresses are for staff only, and in this case you use your staff log on rather than a student log on or student number or whatever it is these days.

EDIT:
    Also worth noting, is that you can send emails from your UCD address from within gmail. Literally as you are composing an email in gmail, you can click a drop down box and choose your UCD email address as the sender, and it is sent "from" the ucd address. And with the above tip, a reply to it arrives directly in your gmail, where you can reply again from your ucd address.

Settings->Accounts and Import->Send mail from another address-> follow instructions

You need never open the ucd mail client again.

Advertisement