Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incorrect price

Options
  • 25-09-2009 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭

In a local supermarket 10pm last night after returning from the UK, realise dont have the kids pressies.

Pop in to Tesco (yup) and buy a Spiderman Zoom car for €6.49. Get to the till, pay...

Walking out I realized I had been charged €14.99 for the car. I go back to check the price point, "Spiderman Zoom Car €6.49", check my product "Spiderman Zoom Car", bingo.

Call employee who checks, yes , wrong price, lets do a refund.

Then I mention 'no quibble', supervisor is fetched.

After 10 mins of supervisor investigation they return with a slightly different (packaging only, product the same) "spiderman zoom car".

"This one is €6.49, you picked up the wrong one"
    "If that were true, why is there not a price point for the €14.99 one?"
    "They were not supposed to be on the shelves yet"
    "Then it is not my fault, I picked a product advertised for €6.49 and I was charged €14.99"

Anyway, would only refund, would not double the difference as I had paid the advertised price...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You've lost me! Why would you get anything more than a refund? What's "double the difference" about?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Tesco policy on pricing errors, they call it 'no quibble'

You buy beans for €3(a), price point said €2(b). Difference = €1(c), they double it to €2, charging you €3 - €2 = €1

max(0,a - 2(a - b))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Numerous threads on this.... they're not obliged to do anything more than refund you (which even technically they didn't have to), anything over and above that is optional on their part

I know that, is their own policy, if it were law I'd still be there arguing the case.

I'm merely pointing out the quibble of the 'no quibble' policy.

Jev/N wrote: »
    Numerous threads on this.... they're not obliged to do anything more than refund you (which even technically they didn't have to), anything over and above that is optional on their part

Given the facts above they most definitely have to.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

They don't do "double-the-difference" over here.

What they do is refund the amount paid and you get to keep the product.

Got 83euro worth of smoke alarms this way and only last week a dvd was mispriced so got it free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

ch750536 wrote: »
    Given the facts above they most definitely have to.

I wouldn't say 'most definitely' - it would be your responsibility to check the price you were paying at the till and to ensure it correlated to the one displayed

Anyway, it's a moot point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

Oh and make sure you have actually paid for the item before quibbling the incorrect price, they wont give it free if you catch it at the till tey will just ring in the proper price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

ch750536 wrote: »
    I know that, is their own policy, if it were law I'd still be there arguing the case.

I'm merely pointing out the quibble of the 'no quibble' policy.

Not all the Tesco stores operate that policy. There seems to be a bit of lee-way, and each store can apply the policy or not. I don't think they double the difference either, just give you the product for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I've never heard of Tesco Ireland using the "Double the Difference" thing. They just tend to refund the price and let you keep the product (which is decent enough in my opinion).

Anyway, even if the policy is different between stores, they should have their policy on public display somewhere - usually near the Customer Service Desk.

• Advertisement

Checked this morning and no double the difference here. They never even heard of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

If you have read the price ticket correctly you would have seen the barcode number, and this should correspond with the barcode on the item you purchased if not its a differant item. Supermarkets do this to save confusion like this

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Avaya79

I was charged twice in Tesco with incorrect prices at the till, and twice I walked away with items free!

I stood my ground and each time i walked with the lads all the way to the aisle to make sure they don't con me with a price tag that magically appeared.

When they say no quibble i expect no quibble!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

My mother had the same issue with an expensive block of cheese in Superquinn, it wouldn't scan so the cashier gave it to her for free. She then raced back down, picked up another few, went to a different cashier and since they wouldn't scan either she got them free too, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I was in superquinn last year around christmans time, saw two older ladies breaking up multi-packs and put the contents in their trolley. Later, they happened to be in front of me in the till que.

They were arguing for the items for free as they wouldn't scan. They got them in the end.

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    If you have read the price ticket correctly you would have seen the barcode number, and this should correspond with the barcode on the item you purchased if not its a differant item. Supermarkets do this to save confusion like this

Considering that the shelf stackers can't get it right it's a bit much expecting the consumer.

I was in Tesco one day and they had Muller Corners on BOGOF. Usual yellow sticker with barcode and expiry date. Gob****e of a shelf stacker had put in the new labels right beside the old offer labels which had expired a week previously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

From the Irish web site

http://www.tesco.ie/csr/index.html
    No Quibble Policy

Our "No Quibble Policy" is our way of showing customers that we always charge the right prices in our stores. It states that: "in the unlikely event of you being charged a price at the checkouts that is higher that the price mounted on the display, we will give you that item absolutely free and without quibble".

They tried to give me the difference back (1.50) on an item once, when I was having none of it manager was called who offered same, I suggested he go call head office or check the above web site and indeed the sign in store near the checkouts :D

I left with 3 free bottles of wine :cool:

They seem to, in many cases rely on peoples ignorance of the policy to get away with offering the difference back. I know, I know under the law they dont have to give you free stuff etc but if they refuse in store the managers name and a call to head office would be guaranteed to see you right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I was in superquinn last year around christmans time, saw two older ladies breaking up multi-packs and put the contents in their trolley. Later, they happened to be in front of me in the till que.

They were arguing for the items for free as they wouldn't scan. They got them in the end.

*Takes note* :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭akaredtop

Life is too short for this.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I get something free about once a week I suppose.

I have noticed that recently what they do is take down the shelf label price , so you can't then run in and get another load :-)

My most recent one was 10 euro's worth of bog roll.

I have never had any problem getting my money back , one of the few good things about Tesco IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

calex71 wrote: »
    I know, I know under the law they dont have to give you free stuff etc

I would think that by advertising the product and the no quibble policy they are entering into a legally binding contract if you purchase and are charged more than that displayed.

Personally if I get something that is charged at more than the advertised price i go and get the price that was advertised and show the customer service person the advertised price so that there is no possible way that they can claim otherwise

Pythia wrote: »
    My mother had the same issue with an expensive block of cheese in Superquinn, it wouldn't scan so the cashier gave it to her for free. She then raced back down, picked up another few, went to a different cashier and since they wouldn't scan either she got them free too, lol.

That's the kind of behaviour that stops companies offering "Good Faith" arrangements. Pure greed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

That's the kind of behaviour that stops companies offering "Good Faith" arrangements. Pure greed!!

While I agree with you 100% on this stance, and I share it, Tesco nutgrove is really bad for mispricing, If i got something free and happened to be in the next day or later in the week I make it a point to check the price of the item from earlier in the week.

If it's still wrong then its fair game i say as long it's something i need or can use ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭akaredtop

I would say fair play to that woman. Don't feel sorry for the big corporations.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

akaredtop wrote: »
    I would say fair play to that woman. Don't feel sorry for the big corporations.

Yeah, stick it to the man and all that.:rolleyes:

akaredtop wrote: »
    Don't feel sorry for the big corporations.

Yeah that's the spirit!. Stuff it to all big corporations. Take as much as you can whenever you can. All large companies are only out to screw the customer. They don't want us coming back and spending with them.:rolleyes:

One greedy B can ruin offers to the rest of us just for a few blocks of cheese they don't need. Yes, stuff it to the corporations and to hell with all the honest customers looking for a bargain.
    We all pay in the end for greed.

If there wasn't such incompetence then there mightn't be the greed.

I'm not particularly brand loyal so I tend to buy bulk lots of whatever is on special offer. I went to Tesco last night to stock up on "condiments" (Dunnes doesn't have the same range) and ended up with 15euro worth of free goods because they couldn't get the pricing right.

These were goods (and quantities) that I wanted to buy at the marked price but because they had not updated their systems (though one would expect that the shelf label printing system and the scanning system would be linked) they overcharged me.

It is becoming clear that as far as Tesco is concerned the costs of the "No-quibble" guarantee is less than the costs of ensuring accurate labelling - maybe it's a case that for each person who spots the error a multiple don't.

Parsi, your case is fair enough as it is genuine.:)
    It's someone going back to buy more of an item and deliberately going to a different cashier so they could avail of the error, that's dishonest and greedy. You gained from the good faith of the no quibble arrangement. Pythia's mother just took advantage of it. An action that indirectly costs all us consumers money. Mistakes happen and Tesco are willing to pay for those mistakes, and any poor customer service they may give rise to, but others are just taking advantage to the extent that such good faith offers may well be reduced due to the costs involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭sue97

http://www.tesco.ie/csr/index.html

Search for the word quibble and its in black and white that they refund if they overcharge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

sue97 No need to bring up old threads

Thread closed

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement