Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canon SLRs, American versions (Rebel)

Options
  • 25-09-2009 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Is thare any reason not to buy the American version of the Canon 500D, the Rebel T1i. I understand that they are essentially the same camera but are there any differences other than the name? They seem to take the same storage (SD), the same battery (LP-E5) and the same lenses (EF-S). Apart from the remoteness etc, is there any other good reason not to get the rebel fom the USA, I have a sister over there and it is cheaper than here.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

you're right it is the same camera except it's called a rebel. perhaps someone more knowledgable than me can tell you why the Americans call them rebels. Cabaal has a 350D rebel and has no problems with it. (He's not around at the mo)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I cannot say that Americans are thick, because I met only few of them and all were quite smart, bright and nice people.

Naming of the products is purely marketing area and "Rebels" are aimed at consumer group of users. The difference in European market is that cameras were produced by technical people for technically skilled people. And by Germans (that was very good). There is an analogue to car names, just comare naming of BMW and Mercedes vs. Ford and Subaru.

The expected basic level of technical knowledge made it very easy to produce lines of products, their successors and accessories.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

The same cameras are called "Kiss" in Japan. Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

BlueSpud wrote: »
    Is thare any reason not to buy the American version of the Canon 500D, the Rebel T1i. I understand that they are essentially the same camera but are there any differences other than the name? They seem to take the same storage (SD), the same battery (LP-E5) and the same lenses (EF-S). Apart from the remoteness etc, is there any other good reason not to get the rebel fom the USA, I have a sister over there and it is cheaper than here.

One thing to consider is the issue of warranties.

A Canon body has a warranty which is only valid in the territory you purchased it in. If you buy the camera in the States, it has to be returned to the States if there is a fault or needs serving, cleaning etc. You will be responsible for the cost of shipping to and from the service centre.

Canon Europe will charge you for parts, labour etc on a US bought camera. If you purchase in Europe, it costs nothing once it's within warranty.

Canon lenses on the other hand have international warranties and can be serviced anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭BlueSpud

Rael wrote: »
    One thing to consider is the issue of warranties.

Yes, I suppose one might consider warrenties, plus 2 way postage as maybe worth 10-15% of the price. That would narrow the gab a bit all right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 RRaff

It's the same camera, no difference what so ever. The reason for the name change is to police warranty's. If all the cameras were the same name then people could buy them in the US or Japan save €200 and say they were bought in Europe to get the warranty.
    Canon would lose a fortune.

One important thing to keep in mind is should something go wrong with it it could
    will cost from about €150 upwards to get it repaired in Europe.

Advertisement