Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tilt N' Turn versus casement

• 25-09-2009 9:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    Just wondering which windows you would recommend:

1. Tilt and turn
    2. casement

Thanks,
    Eddie!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Jo124

does anyone have any info on this

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

murphyep wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    Just wondering which windows you would recommend:

1. Tilt and turn
    2. casement

Thanks,
    Eddie!

..... depends what you require........

Tilt and turn are basically casement windows with a secondary opening mechanism that allows ventilation

casement windows will have restricters incorporated anyway.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

I'd use casement if at all possible. Tilt and turn open inwards and are a nightmare with regard to blinds and curtains.
    Had them in a house I lived in and the opening mechanism was suspect aswell. Things may have improved in that regard (that's 10 years ago), but generally they are very heavy and wear and tear on the opening meachanism is failry high. I ended up one morning with an entire opening section hanging into the room by one point !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

I have tilt & turn and like them a lot. Have had no trouble with them, although they're only in five months, so it's early days. That said, they're guaranteed for ten years.

Supertech is right that they may be problematic with blinds, but I don't see why there should be the slightest difficulty with curtains. I've fitted them with both blinds and curtains myself. An advantage of the fact that they open in is that you can easily clean upstairs windows from the inside, without going up a ladder. I also like the ability to tilt them in and provide ventilation without any danger to my kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Casement windows can be cleaned from the inside if when opened there is enough space between the frame and the moving window. Ours (just went in last week) have this. They also have child restrictors, which keeps the window from opening out too much for daredevils. Ventilation isn't a problem if you use trickle vents - so the main window can remain closed.

On the other hand - Tilt and Turn can now be fitted with blinds that sit on the window itself, and so move inwards with the window.

For me it came down to cost, and my worry of the extra moveable parts = more chance of fault.

Personal opinion will be the deciding factor!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭fitzie79

we went with casement for our windows but as one bedroom was downstairs we had to have a tilt-n-turn window in this for an emergency escape. may be something to keep in mind for anyone with a bungalow

Advertisement