Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plants and animals

Options
  • 25-09-2009 10:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭

I have received some excellent advice on my other thread as to what to plant in my new little yard.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055691132

We are getting a rescue cat in the coming weeks and we also have a visiting dog, so I want to make sure that I don't plant anything that might be hazardous to an animal. Equally, if there is anything that would be appealing to animals (catmint etc), that I could grow in a large pot or window box, then I would love to plant this.

So basically, I would like to know what would be good/bad to plant keeping animals in mind. I would love some advice or links to useful websites.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭cosnochta

Has anyone got any idea where I can find information on plants that are poisonous to pets and also plants that appeal to pets, so that I can tailor my garden to my cat and dog.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Hi, you could try posting in the animal and pets forum. People there can give you a list of poisonous plants and ones the pets will like, you could then look them up to see what suits.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Linkie to fairly exhaustive list of plants and their relative danger to cats, dogs and horses.

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/plants/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭cosnochta

Linkie to fairly exhaustive list of plants and their relative danger to cats, dogs and horses.

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/plants/

Thanks so much!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

No worries. I have five cats and had three pot plants - golden cane palm, yucca and fatsia japonica. The yucca is poisonous to cats. The yucca is gone. :) It's different with outdoor plants but indoors, pot plants really are a focus for cats so better safe than sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 stanmake

I have always had dogs & cats, I have to rescue dogs at the moment and one cat, and never really worried over much about plants being too posinous. I've never heard of a cat or dog being poisoned from a garden plant, though lots that have been by slug pellets and rat poison. The list of plants that is poisonous to animals is huge, from Yew trees to poppies. It can be easy to get a little overprotective.

Probably different for house plants though, as a bored animal is much more likely to eat at whatever they can find.

It is only my humble opinion and you should really go with whatever makes you happiest.

Advertisement