Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heroin problem in Cork. Just how bad is it?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭weird

Nonsense. If you want to see a junkie problem, try strolling around O'Connell Street in Dublin. It's like 28 Days Later. Patrick Street is like Amish town, in comparison.

Whoop whooop Hyperbole police

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

im on the number 51 bus now and theres 2 ppl smoking heroin behind me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

weird wrote: »
    Whoop whooop Hyperbole police
    met⋅a⋅phor  /ˈmɛtthinsp.pngəˌfɔr, -fər/ dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show Spelled Pronunciation [met-uh-fawr, -fer] dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show IPA

Use metaphor in a Sentence

See web results for metaphor

See images of metaphor

–noun 1.a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance, as in “A mighty fortress is our God.” Compare mixed metaphor, simile (def. 1).2.something used, or regarded as being used, to represent something else; emblem; symbol.

In my experience, people who use words like hyperbole (not the lowercase 'h') tend to be types who have a hard time getting these concepts (such as people who go into dept stores having a 'MONSTER SALE' and get frustrated by the lack of monsters on display), and try to use such words in a vain attempt to cover this up. Feel free to ask if you require further help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

omfg H&M is OPEN

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

There was certainly a metaphor in the quoted post - two in fact - but I don't think the OP is far off in calling the whole post hyperbole. Take the following sentence as an example:
    "The Cork City forum is like a sinking ship full of idiots."
    See, I'm making a comparison and I'm exaggerating. The Cork forum is of course only nearly full of idiots.

EDIT: The above may actually invalidate my example.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

dahamsta wrote: »
    There was certainly a metaphor in the quoted post - two in fact - but I don't think the OP is far off in calling the whole post hyperbole. Take the following sentence as an example:
    "The Cork City forum is like a sinking ship full of idiots."
    See, I'm making a comparison and I'm exaggerating. The Cork forum is of course only nearly full of idiots.

EDIT: The above may actually invalidate my example.

adam

In a world without humour through exaggeration, you may have a point. Thankfully, we don't live in your world. Now, you're both boring me.

Away with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

omfg H&M is OPEN

have things become so boring now that people get excited over a mid price international clothing chain opening a shop in their area? :confused:

have things become so boring now that people get excited over a mid price international clothing chain opening a shop in their area? :confused:

I bet your a really irritating type of person

She who smelt it, dealt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

H&M is a gash shop for fellas , unless you're a "flaaaa bhoy!" :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Elements of this thread are reminding me in no small way of a PROC one - maybe it really is the Cork personality... :D
    Grew up in Cork but moved away from there 7 years ago. Heroin was almost unheard of when i lived there. It was all Coke and Yolks. Just how bad is the Heroin problem?
    As Illkillya says, while the numbers aren't high, there has been a really dramatic increase in a short space of time. Pretty alarming - heroin was never a problem in Cork until very recently. People used to say "oh the problem is there all right" but I think they were just looking for reasons to talk about how "society has gone to hell" - the way Ireland is constantly referred to as "falling apart" and "****ed up" on AH... :pac:
    It's quite bad in cork at the Moment. Think Dublin in the 80's and early 90's bad.
    I don't think that's the case at the moment, statistically speaking.
    people get excited over a mid price international clothing chain opening a shop in their area? :confused:
    I know I'm certainly excited. H&M is awesome! :)

Well for people to start noticing it is a bad sign,maybe it has been here a while but you wouldn't hear nor see people doing it. one friend out of all of my friend's knew of one person doing it in Mallow years ago, so its really a matter of time tbh isn't it.

In my hometown in the U.K, a humble country town, it is a problem, its everywhere there and it's right in your face, its disgusting, my boyfriends ex-partner has epilepsy and had an attack and fell on a needle in a kids park. Here,I don't think it is so much of a problem, in my own opinion, morals are strong but for how long..
    I guess we will have to wait and see.

Well for people to start noticing it is a bad sign,maybe it has been here a while but you wouldn't hear nor see people doing it. one friend out of all of my friend's knew of one person doing it in Mallow years ago, so its really a matter of time tbh isn't it.

well the ppl on the bus today got on in mallow. a lot of scum around that place too.

what a change, back in the 80's Joe Sherlock said that there were druggies in Mallow and people were demanding an apology from him for saying such a bad thing about their quaint little town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Oh heroin isn't just an issue faced by cities/large towns; it's a huge problem in rural former mining towns in England and Wales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ohknee

Nonsense. If you want to see a junkie problem, try strolling around O'Connell Street in Dublin. It's like 28 Days Later. Patrick Street is like Amish town, in comparison.

Have a read of this piece from earlier in the year provides fairly convincing facts to me.

Two year waiting list for methadone.

10th July 2009
    Heroin addicts are waiting two years on average to get methadone treatment in the southeast, the Oireachtas Public Accounts Committee was told yesterday. [/I]
    Senior HSE official Gretta Crowley, an acting assistant national director, said 545 people in the State were waiting to get on to the methadone programme. Some 106 of these addicts were in the Cork area.
    Cork has seen a major upsurge in heroin use in recent months with the number of people seeking treatment for addiction increasing by more than 25 times in a 10-year period. She said addicts were waiting 10 months on average for methadone treatment in Cork city. The longest wait was in the southeast where 40 addicts were waiting for treatment.
    Ms Crowley said a shortage of GPs participating in the methadone programme accounted for some of the delay and the HSE was encouraging more GPs to participate. The HSE will open a new clinic in the southeast before the end of this year. New clinics will also open in Cork city, Limerick city, the midlands and the northeast.
    Addicts in the midlands must wait for three to six months for methadone treatment, while the waiting list in the west is about six months. Ms Crowley said waiting lists were not a major issue in the Dublin region.
    Committee chairman Bernard Allen said addicts who need a bed in a residential detoxification unit have to wait from two weeks to four months for one of the 23 beds available in Dublin.
    Labour deputy Róisín Shortall highlighted research which found that 69 per cent of patients receiving drug treatment were still in the programme three years later. The vast majority were on methadone maintenance. Ms Shortall also criticised the lack of information on the costs and benefits of various drug treatment programmes. "We still don't know at this point what is the optimum way of treating drug abuse."

106 out of a total of 545 looks like a big problem to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ohknee

dahamsta wrote: »
    Thanks for that Illkillya. Who was he, do you remember?

Dr Chris Luke is his name and he works in the mercy where he sees addicts coming in on a daily basis.

Youngest death he has seen so far in Cork was just 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

Back in the early 1980's I lived in the south inner city of Dublin. At the time the heroin problem was just taking off. It was ignored by the main political parties (exception Tony Gregory) and the Guards (who had better things to do like busting student parties in Rathmines where a minute amount of dope would be seized). The problem didn't go away, nor did it stay confined to socially deprived areas.

In the past year or so, you can see on the streets of Cork, heroin users (usually not particularly young), hanging around the city centre. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

I bet your a really irritating type of person

Ouch, that one really hurt!

What about if I went into the Fashion & Appearance forum and posted:

OMFG, Heroin has come to Cork

im just gona give you i-evils

What about if I went into the Fashion & Appearance forum and posted:
    She's immediately hop on the bus, assuming it was the Next Big Thing in Shopping.

I think it's between the Vapid and Gullible outlets on "Opera Lane".

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    Elements of this thread are reminding me in no small way of a PROC one - maybe it really is the Cork personality...

It's hard to soar like an Eagle when your flying with Turkeys :D

omg this is freaking retarded

OMG the Cork forum is AH! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭weird

In my experience, people who use words like hyperbole (not the lowercase 'h') tend to be types who have a hard time getting these concepts (such as people who go into dept stores having a 'MONSTER SALE' and get frustrated by the lack of monsters on display), and try to use such words in a vain attempt to cover this up. Feel free to ask if you require further help.

In my experience people like you should be put in ovens.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

weird wrote: »
    In my experience people like you should be put in ovens.
    There are heroin addicts in Ovens now too, they're everywhere

ROFL

best thread ever

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Must be a full moon

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

Illkillya wrote: »
    Must be a full moon

Correct. :cool:

• Advertisement