Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Cork Swansea Ferry

Options
  • 25-09-2009 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭

Saw it coming into Cork this morning - looks a pretty big ship !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

I think this be her

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

And here she is now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

ROADDDD TRIPPPP!!!!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Clever of them to bring it to the city first. They're a canny lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Great and all as this is (and I'm not putting it down), would it not be quicker to drive to Dublin and get the ferry from there?

• Advertisement

Saruman wrote: »
    Great and all as this is (and I'm not putting it down), would it not be quicker to drive to Dublin and get the ferry from there?

depends on where in england you are going i'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

Or we could just close down the rest of Ireland and all move to Dublin. The point has been made that such a service would never have vanished from inside the pale like it did here in Cork. It was essential to business and tourism here as proven by the huge support that must have been necessary to get things back to where they are now. Most tourists looking to visit the Cork/Kerry region are not interested in getting stuck in Dublin traffic and a drive down the country to get where they wanted to be in the first place. Its hard to measure the attraction of getting on a ferry and doing nothing more while someone else does the travelling for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Quicker as the Cork/Swansea is 10 hrs overnight, but depending on where you are heading for, maybe easier.

I drove to Cornwall this year & had 2 1/2 hrs to Rosslare, then on the boat & then its another 2 hrs before you get to Swansea. With 3 kids in the back of the car asking 'are we there yet' before we'd reached the Jack Lynch - this ferry is a godsend !

Or we could just close down the rest of Ireland and all move to Dublin. The point has been made that such a service would never have vanished from inside the pale like it did here in Cork. It was essential to business and tourism here as proved by the huge support that must have been necessary to get things back to where they are now. Most tourists looking to visit the Cork/Kerry region are not interested in getting stuck in Dublin traffic and a drive down the country to get where they wanted to be in the first place. Its hard to measure the attraction of getting on a ferry and doing nothing more while someone else does the travelling for you!

+1 - A lot of the businesses down in West Cork feel they've suffered hugely because of the loss of the service...now if we could only persuade the DAA to let Ryanair have the old terminal in Cork, we might make some headway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

++1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I popped down for a look earlier:

3953402186_a18d810ed9.jpg

3952625313_6fb3230d51.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

they were even saying bringing this ferry service back into operation will increase house sales of properties in west cork! due to its popularity with english folk,

bladebrew wrote: »
    they were even saying bringing this ferry service back into operation will increase house sales of properties in west cork! due to its popularity with english folk,

english folk have no money either, maybe after the recession

but is it really worth having more obnoxious brits who want to think they are 'jenny from the countryside' around the place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

Dankoozy wrote: »

but is it really worth having more obnoxious brits who want to think they are 'jenny from the countryside' around the place?

i wonder what you turn into when you go to the u.k :D

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭adrianglass

HI Folks
    More details & photos on the websites
    www.bringbacktheswanseacorkferry.com
    and
    www.fastnetline.com

She's certainly a big ship - and she'll be berthed at Horgan's Quay in Cork for a little while - so call by and take a look for yourself!

Adrian

how many horsepowers,engines,cylinders,propellers?

how many horsepowers,engines,cylinders,propellers?

Oh - lots ! <g> - see the website

MV Julia General Characteristics

Year of Build: 1982

Gross Tonnage: 21,699

IMO Number: 8020642

Length: 153.4 metres

Extreme Breadth: 24.24 metres

Draught: 5.82 metres

Lane Metres: 710 metres

Main Engines: 4 x Pielstick 8 PC2-5L

Diesel Generators:
    2 x MAK 8m 332AK(1200kw) , 2x MAK 6M 332AK (900kw), 1 x Caterpillar V8

Service Speed: 20.0 kts

Wave Height Restriction: 4.0 metres

Adrian

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

it would be great if the public could tour the vessel while it's tied up in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

deRanged wrote: »
    it would be great if the public could tour the vessel while it's tied up in Cork.

I agree maybe with a draw for a free trip when she's up and running, well done all. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Saw her yesterday while coming back from Tivoli. I'd gladly pay 5 or 10 Euro for a guided tour. She's a magnificent looking vessel.

• Advertisement

deRanged wrote: »

We'd love to make that happen - appraently there are some fairly horrendous insurance issues that need to be adressed before we can do this - but we're looking into it. There's some photos of the ship inside & out on the website - www.bringbacktheswanseacorkferry.com

Adrian

Hey - I'm the OP & I'm a Brit lol :D:D

but I'm not obnoxious :cool:....or rich.....:( and my name def aint Jenny :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Plus of course Swansea is in Wales, not England. And the UK is already out of recession. Not that I'm a pedant or anything.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Very nice looking ship.

Any idea why the first sailing isnt until March?

castie wrote: »
    Very nice looking ship.

Any idea why the first sailing isnt until March?

Yes - the main thing is that the marketing of the service will take a while to put in place (it costs as much to run an empty ship as one full of paying passengers!) and there's the whole business of maintenance and recruitment to tackle.

It's vital that she's as 'full' as possible from day 1 - and getting that level of occupancy takes time. Once she is sailing again, we don;t want her to have any 'down time' through mechanical problems - so a very thorough maintenance program will take place - and there are a few things that need to be done before she can gain her full safety approvals from the Irish authorities.

One of the first prioritites will be to get the booking systems up & running - as I'm currently deluged by emails asking 'when can I book' - although there is a 'Pre-booking' form on the Fastnetline.com website where you can give us your email address and we'll get back to you the instant bookings are being taken.

There's some great photos on the website at www.bringbackthesawanseacorkferry.com :)

Adrian

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

There's some great photos on the website at www.bringbackthesawanseacorkferry.com :)
    Adrian

Link spelt wrong there Adrian..

• Registered Users Posts: 43 berireland

We used to use the old Swansea Cork Ferry and it was really handy, after a good night sleep arrive refreshed by 9am in Bristol.

I have attached a deckplan of the vessel, well laid out with great facilities. We are really lookin forward to 1st March 2010 (St Davids Day)

I have followed this campgain by an amazing bunch of people, with self determination and a shoestring budget bring this together. This will be a great addition to buisness and tourism in the Southwest. To all involved in the hard work a Big Thank You.

Irish : Go Raibh Mile Maith Agat = 1000 Thank yous

Welsh: Diolch yn fawr iawn = Thank you

Many words on both sides of the Irish Sea saying the same thing, Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 wexlady

do you know if the ferry company are hiring any crew? i've been searching the net and cant find anything used to work a ship before and would love to go back and work on one again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

berireland wrote: »
    We used to use the old Swansea Cork Ferry and it was really handy, after a good night sleep arrive refreshed by 9am in Bristol.

Ya it really is dead handy. We used it all the time to Visit my aunt that lives in Swansea. It was really handy the night sails as u just went for a sleep and theng to up and had a nice breakfast on the boat and headed off. Delighted that its coming back again. I wish it every sucess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Julia

Advertisement