Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Cork Swansea Ferry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

well, some people are getting tours. hopefully the insurance problems can be sorted so the general public can get on board. it might be a nice revenue stream before the main service goes live!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Should fire a webcam on it while she's being refitted too, or at least take regular shots of it. People loved watching CIX develop as we built it. (Start from the bottom and work forward with "next entries".)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Hi all,

My Grandmother (Bless her) has a real love for old fashioned boats and she went out of her way to tell everyone in the family that the Cork Swansea boat was starting up again. So, in a nutshell we are all gonna surprise her and take her off for a night for her birthday in prob last weekend in march.

Does anyone have any info on it? its hard to track down online by the look of it. Mainly I'd just like to have an idea of price without car,sailings,days,times. Wasn't it running before? even the info for that would give me a rough idea.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭adrianglass

ziedth wrote: »
    Hi all,

My Grandmother (Bless her) has a real love for old fashioned boats and she went out of her way to tell everyone in the family that the Cork Swansea boat was starting up again. So, in a nutshell we are all gonna surprise her and take her off for a night for her birthday in prob last weekend in march.

Does anyone have any info on it? its hard to track down online by the look of it. Mainly I'd just like to have an idea of price without car,sailings,days,times. Wasn't it running before? even the info for that would give me a rough idea.

Thanks in advance.

HI
    Great to hear that you're going to give your Grandmother a treat - lovely idea!
    The reason that the info's hard to track down is because it's not yet available - but the guys at www.fastnetline.com are working hard to get their online booking site up & running just as fast as humanly possible.

I know that they're very much aware of the need to be competitive on pricing - but don't know any more than that. The overnight sailing was one of the things that people said they liked about the old service - so I don't expect that will change....

Now that there's a full-time CEO on-board, things will start to happen faster!

So - for the time being - keep an eye on www.bringbacktheswanseacorkferry.com and www.fastnetline.com (where there's a 'prebooking' email list signup).

Hope this helps
    Adrian

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

cheers, i signed up and all on the mailing list. Thanks for the help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 sullysmum

My husband a cork city man now living in uk says he has travelled a few times on a swansea to cork ferry and says it terminated at the ferry terminal in actual cork city but all i can find is the new fastnet ferry starting march that goes from swansea to cork that terminates at ringaskiddy which apparantly is 9 miles form cork city centre.Does anyone know what goes where as i am getting so confused and i need to book a ferry crossing and back but dont know which is which service,please can anyone help? Thankyou.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

sullysmum wrote: »
    My husband a cork city man now living in uk says he has travelled a few times on a swansea to cork ferry and says it terminated at the ferry terminal in actual cork city but all i can find is the new fastnet ferry starting march that goes from swansea to cork that terminates at ringaskiddy which apparantly is 9 miles form cork city centre.Does anyone know what goes where as i am getting so confused and i need to book a ferry crossing and back but dont know which is which service,please can anyone help? Thankyou.

The Swansea Cork ferry went from Swansea to Ringaskiddy up to a few years ago but got cancelled. After years of campaigning the service is begining again under the name Fasnet - this is the ferry you want to book. The ferry from Swansea never went as far as the city, it always went to Ringaskiddy. Have a nice trip.

Thankyou so much,my hubby is elderly and must have been mistaken,im so pleased to know where im going and what im doing! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭patbundy

murphym7 wrote: »
    The Swansea Cork ferry went from Swansea to Ringaskiddy up to a few years ago but got cancelled. After years of campaigning the service is begining again under the name Fasnet - this is the ferry you want to book. The ferry from Swansea never went as far as the city, it always went to Ringaskiddy. Have a nice trip.

sorry murphym7 it did but that about 40 years ago, it set sail from penrose wharf then it move down to tivoli for afew years when it was b&i.but they closed that service down but when it was restarted it moved to ringaskiddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I used to use it all the time before really missed it when it stopped look forward to using it again;);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

It's a beautiful looking ship as well. Looks gigantic against the penrose wharf buidlings when you are walking from the bus station

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Atlantic1

Where has Julia gone? I passed by yesterday and she wasn't there! Not stolen, surely!!?? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Atlantic1 wrote: »
    Where has Julia gone? I passed by yesterday and she wasn't there! Not stolen, surely!!?? :eek:
    Its down in Ringaskiddy atm . . .
    Its a beaut though, massive!

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Atlantic1

Massive, alright. Looking forward to taking a spin to Wales. Thanks for the info, M&S.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Dankoozy wrote: »
    english folk have no money either, maybe after the recession

but is it really worth having more obnoxious brits who want to think they are 'jenny from the countryside' around the place?

There's always one :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

This is my suite for the first trip I think :D

http://www.fastnetline.com/westcorksuite.html

patbundy wrote: »
    sorry murphym7 it did but that about 40 years ago, it set sail from penrose wharf then it move down to tivoli for afew years when it was b&i.but they closed that service down but when it was restarted it moved to ringaskiddy

Thankyou, hubby was right! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Cork to Swansea in mid-May for car & two adults: €258. Rosslare to Cherbourg in mid-May for car & two adults: €258.

Notwithstanding the fact that I can get to France for the same price (allbeit by driving to Rosslare) what I am really disappointed with is that a reserved seat on the Cork-Swansea route is €17 per person!!! This is free on Rosslare to Cherbourg/Roscoff routes. Not impressed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭jimmysull

Cork to Swansea in mid-May for car & two adults: €258. Rosslare to Cherbourg in mid-May for car & two adults: €258.

Notwithstanding the fact that I can get to France for the same price (allbeit by driving to Rosslare) what I am really disappointed with is that a reserved seat on the Cork-Swansea route is €17 per person!!! This is free on Rosslare to Cherbourg/Roscoff routes. Not impressed!!

Ironically, the cost of petrol from Cork to Rosslare and back will be about €40 so unless you want to specifically go to France the Cork Swansea option works out a few euro less expensive ;)

Just on the Ireland to UK option, my opinion is that the new Swansea Cork route is very welcome. I drive to London from Cork at least twice a year and believe me the worst part of the journey is from Fishguard to where the M4 starts near Swansea....saving that drive is worth much more than whatever few euro extra they charge....
    The website says you are saving a full 600km (almost 400 miles?) on a return trip: http://www.fastnetline.com/ That alone would cost €60+ in petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I was looking to book for a holiday this year, but we have three kids (9, 6 & 5) & unless you could get the 'suite' it meant two cabins ! - bizzare as there's no way we'd separate the kids on a journey.

I queried it by phone but was told anything over four people (no matter what their size) meant the extra cabin, so I've booked with Stena :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

must say I was shocked at how long this new boat takes too as the old one was 11-12 hours I think (awful yoke) and price is a bit saucy when France isn't that much more expensive. This booking a seat thing is a bit Irish, bring back the sleeping on the floor of the old ferry!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Sirtoyou

Andip wrote: »
    I was looking to book for a holiday this year, but we have three kids (9, 6 & 5) & unless you could get the 'suite' it meant two cabins ! - bizzare as there's no way we'd separate the kids on a journey.

I queried it by phone but was told anything over four people (no matter what their size) meant the extra cabin, so I've booked with Stena :(

Ridiculous situation I also have 3 children 4,3 and 1 compulsory 2 cabins as well €490 return to Wales:eek:

Sirtoyou wrote: »
    Ridiculous situation I also have 3 children 4,3 and 1 compulsory 2 cabins as well €490 return to Wales:eek:

Hi
    Might be worth you checking with FastnetLine (phone numbers are on the website - www.fastnetline.com). You will be able to book one 4-berth cabin plus a travel cot for your infant - no extra cabin required.:)

Adrian

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Hi
    Might be worth you checking with FastnetLine (phone numbers are on the website - www.fastnetline.com). You will be able to book one 4-berth cabin plus a travel cot for your infant - no extra cabin required.:)

Adrian

Nothing personal at all to you Adrian :D not sure if you're connected or not but.....

Maybe you'd get away with it with a 1 year old, but with my kids of 5,6 & 9 having to book two cabins is totally ridiculous !

I'm English, so go over every year - I live in cork & this would save me a lot of hassle - irrespective of time, the less 'in car' for the kids the better. I even campaigned to get the ferry reinstated, only to find I cant use it ! - less than impressed.

How many Irish families have only 2 kids ?

Andip wrote: »
    Nothing personal at all to you Adrian :D not sure if you're connected or not but.....

Maybe you'd get away with it with a 1 year old, but with my kids of 5,6 & 9 having to book two cabins is totally ridiculous !

I'm English, so go over every year - I live in cork & this would save me a lot of hassle - irrespective of time, the less 'in car' for the kids the better. I even campaigned to get the ferry reinstated, only to find I cant use it ! - less than impressed.

How many Irish families have only 2 kids ?

HI Andip
    Yes - sort of connected... <g> - I was one of the people who started the campaign at bringbacktheswanseacorkferry.com back in April 2008 and recently www.peoplesferry.com - but I'm not directly involved with Fastnet Line.

All I can suggest is that you contact the company - but in reply to the specific question above, an infant in a travel cot doesn't count as one of your berths - so 2 parents, 2 kids plus an infant can fit in a 4-berth cabin.

They're a new company - and from personal experience they do listen to their customers - and I know that if they can find a way to make it work for you then they will...

Adrian

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

TheDriver wrote: »
    must say I was shocked at how long this new boat takes too as the old one was 11-12 hours I think (awful yoke) and price is a bit saucy when France isn't that much more expensive. This booking a seat thing is a bit Irish, bring back the sleeping on the floor of the old ferry!!!

It was around 10 hours iirc, left @ 8am from Cork, arrived around 6 - 6.30 in Wales. For us, the journey was part of the holiday, and a part that we enjoyed greatly. One memory that stands out was a Greek fellow who was the bar tender in one of the bars and of course the duty free as it was then! Personally, I'm delighted that it is back! I'll have to head down to Ringaskiddy to have a look at it there, I passed it every morning on the bus from the train station and looking at it was class

It was around 10 hours iirc, left @ 8am from Cork, arrived around 6 - 6.30 in Wales. For us, the journey was part of the holiday, and a part that we enjoyed greatly. One memory that stands out was a Greek fellow who was the bar tender in one of the bars and of course the duty free as it was then! Personally, I'm delighted that it is back! I'll have to head down to Ringaskiddy to have a look at it there, I passed it every morning on the bus from the train station and looking at it was class

Yes - timings are about the same on the new service as on the previous one. Given that she sails overnight, and sets out about 9pm (with variations due to tidal conditions at Swansea) there's not much point in going 'flat out' and arriving at some unearthly hour of the morning.

The faster she sails, the more fuel she uses - so the costs increase - to say nothing of the environmental considerations.

Julia will be back in Ringaskiddy sometime over the weekend after her dry-docking in Swansea - and she'll be sailing at 9pm on Monday 1st March from Ringaskiddy on her inaugural Cork-Swansea trip.

Adrian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

We used to always go over on the ferry to Wales, my brother in law is welsh so we went over there quite a bit and I loved the ten hour journey, twas definitely part of out holiday :D would love to do it again sometime

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

the first sailing has been delayed until Friday due to some technical difficulties with the refit - they are waiting on some parts such as scuppers for the car deck.

Advertisement