Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Cork Swansea Ferry

Options
13»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

So they're scupperless ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 derekpc

I'm thinking of heading down cornwall direction for summer holidays with my wife and 2 year old, any general advice on south west england...whereabouts to stay etc...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

derekpc wrote: »
    I'm thinking of heading down cornwall direction for summer holidays with my wife and 2 year old, any general advice on south west england...whereabouts to stay etc...

Park Dean Holidays and Haven Holidays are two of the parks operators. I went to Burnham on Sea in Somerset when I was about ten, excellent holiday. Week and a half or two weeks are probably the best times to stay, a week was too short! Think it was about a 3 hour drive down there. Cornwall would be a longer drive though!

Those parks have indoor swimming pools and nightly entertainment, load of things to do if the weather is fine or if it is bad. Probably one of the best options to go looking at

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

derekpc wrote: »

Jaysus lad we went there its some drive was 6 hours flat out from pembroke. Stayed in mevagissey outside newquay, wasnt great holiday at all i wouldnt recomended it,

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

parsi wrote: »
    So they're scupperless ?

The skeptic in me says there passengerless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 derekpc

Thanks SARASON...6 hours in the car with the small one would be a challenge for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Dankoozy wrote: »
    english folk have no money either, maybe after the recession

but is it really worth having more obnoxious brits who want to think they are 'jenny from the countryside' around the place?

Think the ferry is a great link to Wales and may well have a trip on it in the summer..

As to the above post, "obnoxious brits".... Maybe the British come over to see obnoxious irish... who post like the above?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 thierrys other hand

shame about the pricing structure and the lack of any credible special offer deals. 17euro for a compulsary seat??? the journey across wales from fishguard/pembroke is horrible but at over 400euro for a return journey on the fastnet line it just has to be done. Myself and the good lady were going to take the fastnet line last month but with the cost so high we were put off. its possible to travel rosslare pembroke return AND stay in a hotel for less than the swansea cork crossing(including diesel).
    maybe its an expensive ship to run but it would be intresting to see where they get the pricing structure from.its definatly removed a lot of the goodwill that had built up around the excellent campaign and launching of the Julia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 tcmguy

i just checked Irish Ferries price to Ireland via pembroke/rosslaire return on 1st june to 5th june for my wife and two kids and its just over £300 including cabins.
    I checked Swansea/Cork and it works out over £550 with same dates etc.
    Rip off Ireland has taken to the waters. Shame on all those responsible.
    As i said before i can afford but out of principle i refuse to pay such unjustifiable amount.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Lad and ladies, give it a break complaining about the price - of course the Irish ferries sailings are going to be cheaper, the Fastnet line is a completely new business that will have high overheads at the start, but in time as it becomes more efficient with more bookings, the costs will come down. Its not rip off Ireland, it is the fact that this is a new business, and any new business will be more expensive at the start than an established line who has been running for years. People have to accept that fact at the start, and without the support of the people of Cork, the project will end up failing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭cc

If you add up the extra petrol costs on both sides if you take the Rosslare option, and put a monetary value on the added traveling time in the car I wouldn't exactly call it a rip off. Could still be a bit lower mind.

cc wrote: »
    If you add up the extra petrol costs on both sides if you take the Rosslare option, and put a monetary value on the added traveling time in the car I wouldn't exactly call it a rip off. Could still be a bit lower mind.
    DEPENDS WHERE YOU ARE COMING FROM and GOING to!! This is the answer that the ferry company always gives BUT they never ask where the journey is.They should be aiming to sell to the whole country not just Cork/Kerry.
    Also it is possible to put a monetry value on driving time if you are working but on holiday the extra €200 goes a long way.sure its £40 to get a etap or similar hotel in wales or along the motorway to break up a journey and still have a few more quid for the journey.
    Granted the shorter driving journey is a bonus to some but not everyone wants to be on a ferry for so long.
    whatever anyone says €17 euro per person for a compulsary seat that is too uncomfortable to sleep on is A RIP OFF!
    it may be a start up company but they could make far more money and have much higher passenger numbers if the prices were better-at this rate and with the good will fast dwindling there will be no ferry company in a couple of years and no one else will want to open one.
    i prefer not to use it too because of the prices and have travelled to britain 5 times since it opened only using Fastnet once-and that was one way,i took another company back because the extra costs really didn't make the journey worthwhile.
    i know this sounds really negative for what was originally a good idea but someone,somewhere is taking the m**key
    it would be intresting to see a breakdown of the figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭cc

DEPENDS WHERE YOU ARE COMING FROM and GOING to!! This is the answer that the ferry company always gives BUT they never ask where the journey is.They should be aiming to sell to the whole country not just Cork/Kerry.
    Also it is possible to put a monetry value on driving time if you are working but on holiday the extra €200 goes a long way.sure its £40 to get a etap or similar hotel in wales or along the motorway to break up a journey and still have a few more quid for the journey.
    Granted the shorter driving journey is a bonus to some but not everyone wants to be on a ferry for so long.
    whatever anyone says €17 euro per person for a compulsary seat that is too uncomfortable to sleep on is A RIP OFF!
    it may be a start up company but they could make far more money and have much higher passenger numbers if the prices were better-at this rate and with the good will fast dwindling there will be no ferry company in a couple of years and no one else will want to open one.
    i prefer not to use it too because of the prices and have travelled to britain 5 times since it opened only using Fastnet once-and that was one way,i took another company back because the extra costs really didn't make the journey worthwhile.
    i know this sounds really negative for what was originally a good idea but someone,somewhere is taking the m**key
    it would be intresting to see a breakdown of the figures.

well this is a cork forum so i'm taking a cork perspective on it. The east coast is well served ports and routes from the the north, down to Dublin, and Rosslare. Would be a waste marketing this all over the country. Lots of people don't mind overnight ferries, weather is to Swansea or Brittany. It breaks up the trip and saves milage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

tcmguy wrote: »
    i just checked Irish Ferries price to Ireland via pembroke/rosslaire return on 1st june to 5th june for my wife and two kids and its just over £300 including cabins.
    I checked Swansea/Cork and it works out over £550 with same dates etc.
    Rip off Ireland has taken to the waters. Shame on all those responsible.
    As i said before i can afford but out of principle i refuse to pay such unjustifiable amount.

300 is a great deal - you should go for it! That's the great thing about choice you can pick the expensive price and go on an internet forum and bitch and moan about it or you can pick the cheap one and...... oh yah, bitch and moan about it.

I would prefer if the Swansea Cork ferry was cheaper too but we are not comparing apple's with apple's here. Its their first year of trading so we should give them a break. They never promissed us the cheapest crossing of the Irish sea - they promissed us a resumption of the Cork Swansea route, which they have done.

As I said, everyone has a choice pick Fastnet or pick the cheaper option, both have pro's and con's.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭The Minstrel

Andip wrote: »
    Saw it coming into Cork this morning - looks a pretty big ship !

crikey!

murphym7 wrote: »
    300 is a great deal - you should go for it! That's the great thing about choice you can pick the expensive price and go on an internet forum and bitch and moan about it or you can pick the cheap one and...... oh yah, bitch and moan about it.

I would prefer if the Swansea Cork ferry was cheaper too but we are not comparing apple's with apple's here. Its their first year of trading so we should give them a break. They never promissed us the cheapest crossing of the Irish sea - they promissed us a resumption of the Cork Swansea route, which they have done.

As I said, everyone has a choice pick Fastnet or pick the cheaper option, both have pro's and con's.

The thing is- the other ferry prices quoted are the prices you pay-FASTNET LINE adds on the compulsary seat/cabin after the original quote-and it is definatly a ripp off.The seats are rubbish and you couldn't sleep on them even if it was compulsary and they had a compulsary attendant roaming the ship making sure you slept on your exact compulsary seat.It is a hidden charge,and it makes the journey too expensive. I'm not trying to moan/bitch,i'm trying to give the passengers side of the story. If every bit of critcism is taken as "just some old git moaning" and nothing done about it the ferry won't last.There are many many more people who are shocked at the pricing structure who don't even mention it and book other ferries.The sooner Fastnet Line wake up to this the sooner the ship will be a full time viable option. The ash cloud is pushing up passenger numbers at the moment but when that stops they could be in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Is there any photos of the cabins?

Is it worth paying the extra few bob for the 2-berth with window?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sullysmum

There were photos of some of the cabins on the website last year but i havent looked this year. My elderly husband and i travelled twice on this last year in june to go home to his birthtown for his 80th birthday, we had the superior cabin both times. It was lovely.We had a colour tv, en suite toilet,shower,sinks, complimentary shower wash,shampoo, coffee, tee, wine, bottled water, fizzy drinks, small fridge,fruit basket. A lovely comfy bed, very clean,with white towels, sheets, duvets, pillows, hairdryer, 2 armchairs, bedside tables with lamps,there were two bunkbeds we didnt need, hanging space and hangers,with curtained windows to watch the sea etc, the staff were really helpful as my hubby was ill. Would totally recommend it!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The price structure is going to kill it. I'm coming back from the UK on Sat night with a car for about 1/4 of what Cork Swansea want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

The price structure is going to kill it. I'm coming back from the UK on Sat night with a car for about 1/4 of what Cork Swansea want.

What are you using? Rosslare?

It's only costing €300 for 4 of us return in June. That's very fair I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Anytime I use either Rosslare, or Dublin, it's always about 1/3 - 1/4 of what Cork-Swansea want. I understand the convenience of it coming into Cork, but I don't like the incovenience of the longer boat journey, or the additional cost. With the new road networks now, Dublin and Rosslare are much closer to Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sullysmum

We dont drive so suited us better to go to cork.:)

Advertisement