Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UKIP Motives for a No

Options
  • 25-09-2009 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭

I was listening to the debates yesterday (Today FM and Prime Time) and someone propositioned the following. I'm not looking to scaremonger 'cause I'm sick of it at this stage. I am, however, interested to ask if this is possible.

"The UKIP party wants us to vote no because if that happens, the next Tory government in the UK will be forced to have a referendum on it. The European project will go ahead without our full inclusion in Europe as what happened when Europe went ahead with the Euro without the UK.
    After this, we will end up joined with the UK as not actually full members of the EU.
    As a result of this, the UK will end up being our main trading partner as we will be "an island behind an island" outside of the Treaty which streamlines the organisation, and hence trade between full members.
    We will ultimately become dependant on the UK again after moving to remove that dependance in '73 when we joined the EEC."

Can someone tell me if this is possible? (no blatent lies or more scaremongering please!) How can a no vote affect our trade with our European partners and if the UKIP are spending so much money sending us leaflets, is this their motive and is this possible?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

smokingman wrote: »

Can someone tell me if this is possible? (no blatent lies or more scaremongering please!) How can a no vote affect our trade with our European partners and if the UKIP are spending so much money sending us leaflets, is this their motive and is this possible?

UKIP motive?

aint it obvious?!

The UK Independence Party is committed to withdrawing Britain from the European Union.

/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

I am certain that their motives are to force a referendum in the UK. Should there be a referendum in the UK it is very likely to be defeated and it certainly would be good for UKIP's profile. They don't make any great secret of their motivation to be fair.

Whether it follows that Ireland will be isolated along with the UK in a post Lisbon Europe is speculation. No one can say with certainty either way. It would be wrong to discount the possibility completely. My own feeling is that a 'mainland' Europe could press ahead in the future to integrate further. There is a bigger debate to be had in Ireland as to whether we would join that process or remain a detached member in the style if the UK.

The vote on Lisbon may give an indication of the public's willingness to take the route of further integration.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

The insinuations that we would become financially reliant on the UK again (giving them a guarenteed market) are what I'm worried about.

I don't think I'd be fond of us becoming reliant on any one particular country (doesn't matter who) for our exports.

Advertisement