Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not joint ownership, so where do I stand? Any solicitor recommendations

Options
  • 25-09-2009 11:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi, my partner is about to buy a new house which I will be moving into also. The house will be in his name; I will not be contributing to the mortgage at all but will be involved in purchasing furnishing and covering my share of household bills. I understand I have no legal claim to property in the event we separate prior to marriage and have no say regards to the sale of said property. My question regards any money I put into the house in terms of furnishing and if I can recoup this in the event of separation

I know I will need to speak to solicitor about drawing up agreement for this but I just want to see if anyone here has been in a similar situation and could offer any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

From my understanding, you can take your property with you when you leave (furniture, etc), however anything else you have no way to reclaim the costs (such as paint, etc).

You do need to speak to a solicitor, for sure, especially if you are concerned about investment in the property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 PropertyQueen

Thanks Paul, that was my understanding too.

Can anyone recommend a good solicitor to talk to about this? Dublin city or southside areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

There's a good draft agreement here which will get you started on discussions.

Advertisement